mtbr member
    May 2009

Carbine 275 vs Carbine with the 275 drop outs added?

Is this setup noticeably different? I'm in the process of picking out an all mountain 650b frame and stumbled onto a used Carbine with the 27.5 dropouts already installed for much less than a new frame. Is this a bad idea? I've read it has been refined but is the real Carbine 275 way better?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I have a Carbine 275 and if I understand your question correctly, then the two bikes you are referring to are one in the same. You either run it as a 26" or change the drop outs so it can handle a 27.5 wheel. There is no dedicated 27.5 version.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    That is incorrect - the 27.5 version of the Carbine has been modified and is different than the carbine 26 w/ the 27.5 dropouts. i have the carbine w/ the 27.5 dropouts and just did the conversion - the one problem you will run into w/ this setup is the dropouts and disc brake extensions have been been extended and are one off parts - this is fine if you want to run a 160 rotor but I wanted to run a larger rotor and had to mix and match parts to make the extension work w/ the rotor and the pads match to match up - the dedicated 27.5 does not have this problem - also the 27.5 has a lower bottem bracket than the carbine I believe since they tried to match w/ the 26 to get the same ride feel - the conversion rides just a bit hight - that being said - I love the bigger wheels and am not going back any time soon

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    How sure are you? Not saying you are wrong its just in conflict with a post from Fanatik bike, a intense dealer, would suggest there really is no difference and the optimized version only handles a 160mm rotor standard as well. they added ISCG 05 tabs and seat post routing for newer versions, but no other changes.

here is the post in the Intense forum talking about it.
    Difference Between 26 and 275 Carbine Frames?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I remember researching this a bit when these Carbines came out and at the time at least going by the Intense web site specs came to the conclusion there were some differences. IIRC it was WB, HA, BB height that were different. I like a higher BB height so I thought to myself I would rather have the converted model. Of course this all could be incorrect

Really the thing to do is just give em a call or email them and ask the questions.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Damn you, stop making sense, call Intense what fun is that when we can speculate and live in ambiguity & ignorance

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thanks for all the replies but someone scooped the frame. The price was a little too good to be true. 750 CDN for a 2012. It was the demo bike at a shop. Ohwell. I'm still on the search. Deciding between the Bronson, the Process and the Tracer. I need to climb on every ride so I am thinking Bronson is the smartest choice.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Sam in the intense warranty dept helped me sus out the rotor problem - the extension to the brake mount I was told was a special one off piece for the carbine 26 and I was told that they fixed this w/ the new ones (this piece is now for 180 rotor) - I had to go through a box of 30 misc brake extensions to move the pads 3 to 4 mm to get proper pad placement to allow the bike to run a 180 rotor (looks a little funky w/ a brake mount on top of another brake mount but i was able to get the correct pad placement). The new 27.5's don't have that problem since the new piece is for 180 rotors - you will have difficulty running any other size rotor - anyone trying to run anything but a 160 rotor on the rear of the old 27.5 will have a lot of trouble getting proper pad alignment on the rotor (I am not sure if the new 180 brake extension will fit on the original Carbine - great question for Intense & Sam did not say they have that piece for me when I called him with the question) This is also probably true w/ the new 180 brake mount too.