mtbr member

Canyon...smokin values?

anyone besides Fabian Barel in the US rocking a Canyon? From what I understand they are growing a ton in Europe. The 2014 Nerve and Spectral seem to be stellar values. XO1 for 3500 is crazy. The build spec values are absolutely smokin! Anyone have feedback?

Spectral 27.5 - $3,529
    Canyon | Mountainbikes | Spectral AL 9.0 EX

Nerve 27.5 - $2,959
    Canyon | Mountainbikes | Nerve AL 9.0 (2014)

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    In Sweden Canyon is a well established brand.
    Bikes have perfekt build finish, top quality parts / paint job etc. etc.

The big thing is that there is no LBS to help with issues.
    Thats the catch/pro as Canyons business idea is to cut at least one line in distribution.

You get the bike in a box and you have to put the last things togehter yourself.
    If you are confident in the garage then go for it, if you do want help in the long run with bleeding brakes, changeing break pads, tuneing gears then you are a target customer.
    If not I'd advise to have a LBS handy.

mtbr member
    Great deal, except for the part where it says on the site:
    "Unfortunately, we do not ship to your country."
    Unfortunately indeed. Thanks, Specialized!

Norđwegr
    They're definitely one of the brands I'm considering to buy from when buying a 'cheap' trailbike over the winter.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I guess if you have a middle man over in Europe, you could get one over here, seen Canyon road bikes over here. As much as I hate Specialized, and being a holder of several patents myself, I understand and stand behind Specialized as far as them standing behind their patents.
    Wish some of these companies could either pay for the licensing rights to use some of those suspension designs, in which case I'd use the DW link, instead of a 4 bar, or develop their own, that way it would open up the US market, which would easily wash away any investment in licensing fees.

mtbr member
    Canyons are very popular here in Europe. Their pricing beats almost everything. Basically you pay for the components and get the frame for free.

As for that Horst-Link patent, that must be expired by now. Or do patents have a longer lifespan in the States. Over here in Europe the max is 20 years.

mtbr member
    how do their mid travel bikes pedal? I really enjoy the snappiness of DW-link, but these appear to be horst link bikes?

mtbr member
    The Horst Link patent expired this year which is why brands like Lapierre are coming to the US. So that shouldn't be holding them back.

dwt
    mtbr member

Canyon...smokin values?

The Expiration date of Spec's FSR, 4 bar Horst link suspension patent apparently is debatable. It either expired in April 2013 or it lasts until September, 2014

http://patents.stackexchange.com/que...nsion-affect-p

Clearly, Spec will argue the later date so there is open question whether they will go after Lapierre, Canyon
    or whoever jumps the gun in early 2014. As has been said, their track record is go for the jugular. We'll see.

No doubt US consumers will see more selection once the patent finally does expire. Good thing.
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member

Canyon...smokin values?

A lot of Canyon in Spain...

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    So my friend just stripped down his Canyon Torque so he can paint it another color plus do a full service and he too has pivot play. Another friend of mine has sent his back to Canyon 3 times last year for the same problem. After checking one of the German speaking MTB forums this seems to be a wide spread problem. It seems the Torque has a life cycle of ride it a few weeks, send it in and wait for it to return in a few weeks, ride it a few weeks, send it back in. Rinse and repeat.

Edit: Canyon will not send you the new pivot, you have to ship the frame to Canyon on your cost.
    Switzerland doesn't need a bike park, Switzerland is a bike park.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dan4jeepin View Post
    The Horst Link patent expired this year which is why brands like Lapierre are coming to the US. So that shouldn't be holding them back.
    Quote Originally Posted by dwt View Post
    The Expiration date of Spec's FSR, 4 bar Horst link suspension patent apparently is debatable. It either expired in April 2013 or it lasts until September, 2014

patentability - Does the US Only patent on the four bar linkage (Horst link) suspension affect popular mountain bikes in the US? - Ask Patents

Clearly, Spec will argue the later date so there is open question whether they will go after Lapierre, Canyon
    or whoever jumps the gun in early 2014. As has been said, their track record is go for the jugular. We'll see.

No doubt US consumers will see more selection once the patent finally does expire. Good thing.
    I emailed them mention the expiration of the patent and they replied that they have no plans to sell in the US
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

dwt
    mtbr member

Canyon...smokin values?

Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    I emailed them mention the expiration of the patent and they replied that they have no plans to sell in the US
    Well that sucks
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    I just bought a Canyon frame and can't wait to build it up!!!! I have not seen a Canyon 29er on trails in the US, so I can't wait to show mine off!!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    How about this new Canyon Spectral al 7.0 EX for 2399euro? Amazing value for money! Pike, debon air, X1, sram guide R, reverb stealth++

Canyon...smokin values?-spectral-al-7-ex_c1023.png

mtbr member

Canyon...smokin values?

Yeah, crazy bike for that money. I'm gonna buy the 8.0 EX that comes with CC Inline, Renthal bar/stem and better wheels. The only thing I will upgrade is a smaller front ring and the Inline remote when it comes out. 3300€ and 12,5kg

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I heard if you buy one in the U.S., Sonya Looney personally delivers it.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy