Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mobaar View Post
    And? My point was that 650b is pretty close to the middle of 26/29. Saying its not close ENOUGH to call it 27.5 is pretty silly. Should we go with 27.16"?

27.5" makes perfect sense in the overall scheme of 26" and 29" wheels/tires we have currently.
    26 x 1.1127 = 28.93 rounds to 29"
    26 x 1.0447 = 27.16 rounds to 27"

lose the point5.

Dude, got any schwag?
    For the sake of argument, I suggest we go with regular, medium, and wagon wheels.

Or for the coffee addicts like myself, Tall, Grande & Venti.

(OK, now I'm just being a troll)
    Billy

Speed is sweet, it's like an avenue to
    ... Shredtopia!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by thad View Post
    Eh, my point is that 26" and 29 wheels are not actually 26/29 in diameter. Totally depends on tire size. 26 X 1.9 < 2.2 < 2.5 < 3.0
    So why not label the rim size, and the tire size, and then everything is accurate.

If you must use some arbitrary inch size that is not accurate, 26", 27", 29" is closer.
    So your suggestion is to call 650b 27"? That would certainly clear everything right up.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    So your suggestion is to call 650b 27"? That would certainly clear everything right up.
    My suggestion would be to call it by the actual rim size, rounded to cm.
    56cm =26", 58cm = 650b , 62cm = 29"

26 and 29 are totally arbitrary numbers. I just measured my bikes
    26X 2.35 larsen TT = 26.5"
    26X 2.5 minion dhf = 27"
    29X 2.2 ikon = 29.5"
    29X 2.4 ardent = 29.75"

mtbr member
    May 2009
    My suggestion would be to call it by the actual rim size, rounded to cm.
    56cm =26", 58cm = 650b , 62cm = 29"

26 and 29 are totally arbitrary numbers. I just measured my bikes
    26X 2.35 larsen TT = 26.5"
    26X 2.5 minion dhf = 27"
    29X 2.2 ikon = 29.5"
    29X 2.4 ardent = 29.75"
    So your suggestion is to come up with a completely new system altogether? Even better....

There are good arguments on both sides of 650b/27.5"

There is no good argument for 27" or 58cm.

26" and 29" are simply rough approximations. But they're rough approximations that everyone already understands. If you want to overthrow the system, don't come up with an equally dumb system (58cm??? seriously?).

If you're claiming to want accuracy, just stick to actual BSD measurements. They're what really matter anyway.

swag ho Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Shocker View Post
    For the sake of argument, I suggest we go with regular, medium, and wagon wheels.

(OK, now I'm just being a troll)
    Post of the day bro!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    What? That is the BSD, rounded to CM. It accurately describes the size, is a measurement that is already used (though not marketed). This would also continue to move the bike industry toward complete use of the metric system.

BSD 559mm = 56cm or 26"
    BSD 584mm = 58cm or 26 x 1.0447 = 27.16 rounds to 27"
    BSD 622mm = 62cm or 26 x 1.1127 = 28.93 rounds to 29"

If you want a "rough" estimate of wheel size in inches, 27" is a closer description than 27.5" and doesn't sound stupid.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I'm wondering what year in the distant (or not so distant) future the 650a (590 BSD) movement will happen.

Kirk Pacenti mentioned he considered going the 650a route, but ultimately went with 650b for various reasons.
    I'm thinking he went with 650b because 650a sounds too Canadian.

How about we use a secret lingo code name for 650b, named after the county that uses area code 650, which is San Mateo County, which also happens to be where Tom Ritchey resides, which also happens to be where Ritchey built 650b mountain bikes in the late 70s or early 80s, before the Russian army bought up the Hakka tire supply. And now, Ritchey is working on his own 650b tires and wheels, so things are coming full-circle..... just like a wheel.

So, how 'bout we start calling them San Mateos?

Or how about b'ers (pronounced beers)?

Also, 2013 will be a rather banner year for 650b, and if you squish the 1 and the 3 close together, it looks like a B? So, there's been twenty-sixers, twenty-niners, and now twenty-B'ers (20B / 2013). Twenty beers? That's a lot of beers, eh? That reminds me of the time that I found a mouse in a bottle of beer, eh?
    So, maybe they could also be referred to as 20B. Or 65013.

Oh, and here's the Canadian skit from Family Guy, eh?
    Family Guy - AA eh High Quality HD - YouTube

Bonus Strange Brew video:
    Strange Brew - mouse in a bottle - YouTube
    To ride this trail is completely free.
    Just show me a triangle..... make it three!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shocker View Post
    I blame you when I see this in MBA next month.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

Dissolved member
    This is just like staring a high school garage metal band - the toughest part is to figure out how to call the product. I like 650b or just plain "B", or Grande.

PS: Venti-niners sounds about right. /me running for cover

Dissolved member
    One more side note - I find it easier to run searches for 650b than for 27.5, 27 1/2", 27 1/2in, etc.

What would Tesco do?
    27 makes me think of 27 x 1-1/4 tires, and what do we think of when we think of those: mounting cheap a** wire bead gumwalls on to cheap a** 40 year old steel rims that feel like they're gonna buckle on you while you're trying to seat the bead. The guys at work refer to my bike as "the B bike", but I prefer 650b. Why try to fit it into other wheel sizes format? Stand apart.

What would Tesco do?
    BTW, as a side note I spoke to someone at WTB today and they said they will be offering the Frequency rim in 650b as well as at least two other tires in the not too distant future.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I spoke with a Specialized sales rep last week and he said they might have a tire next year, and the soonest they'll have a bike is 2014 or 2015. He said they wished they hadn't continued with many of their current 26ers, and they wished they had pursued 650b for those equivalent models instead.
    To ride this trail is completely free.
    Just show me a triangle..... make it three!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    What? That is the BSD, rounded to CM. It accurately describes the size, is a measurement that is already used (though not marketed). This would also continue to move the bike industry toward complete use of the metric system.

BSD 559mm = 56cm or 26"
    BSD 584mm = 58cm or 26 x 1.0447 = 27.16 rounds to 27"
    BSD 622mm = 62cm or 26 x 1.1127 = 28.93 rounds to 29"

If you want a "rough" estimate of wheel size in inches, 27" is a closer description than 27.5" and doesn't sound stupid.
    Right... rounded BSD... which would be totally new nomenclature and nobody would have any idea what you're talking about. If you're using BSD, why dumb it down? Just use the actual BSD.

And you keep going back to 27" which is the worst idea in this entire thread. You do realize there is a widely accepted 27" tire/wheel size and it uses a larger BSD than 29ers, right?

Baby Bear is in the house
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Wizard View Post
    I'm wondering what year in the distant (or not so distant) future the 650a (590 BSD) movement will happen.

Kirk Pacenti mentioned he considered going the 650a route, but ultimately went with 650b for various reasons.
    I'm thinking he went with 650b because 650a sounds too Canadian.

How about we use a secret lingo code name for 650b, named after the county that uses area code 650, which is San Mateo County, which also happens to be where Tom Ritchey resides, which also happens to be where Ritchey built 650b mountain bikes in the late 70s or early 80s, before the Russian army bought up the Hakka tire supply. And now, Ritchey is working on his own 650b tires and wheels, so things are coming full-circle..... just like a wheel.

So, how 'bout we start calling them San Mateos?

Or how about b'ers (pronounced beers)?

Also, 2013 will be a rather banner year for 650b, and if you squish the 1 and the 3 close together, it looks like a B? So, there's been twenty-sixers, twenty-niners, and now twenty-B'ers (20B / 2013). Twenty beers? That's a lot of beers, eh? That reminds me of the time that I found a mouse in a bottle of beer, eh?
    So, maybe they could also be referred to as 20B. Or 65013.

Oh, and here's the Canadian skit from Family Guy, eh?
    Family Guy - AA eh High Quality HD - YouTube

Bonus Strange Brew video:
    Strange Brew - mouse in a bottle - YouTube
    Haha! Like
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Who pissed in your wheaties? It's a wheel size....

Of course I am familiar with 27" 10 speed wheels. You do realize there a 26X 1 3/8 wheel, that are completely different than 26X 1 1/4", that are completely different than 26"X1.5" mtb wheels? You do realize there are 650c rims that are different than 650b? Rims and tires have been a confusing mess in cycling, since forever. Which is why, I think they should move away from arbitrary inch measurements like 26" and 29", and move to ERD.

I don't think most people are so concerned about their rim size they need to memorize it with accuracy down to the millimeter. I like nice even numbers.
    Last edited by thad; 05-22-2012 at 09:49 PM.

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009
    I say 26er, tweener, and 29er.

banned
    Nov 2011
    I agree with just calling it 27.5.

When someone says 650b it sounds like they're talking about a ghey motorcycle.

mtbr member
    Just call it the 'right stuff', cause the other two sizes will fade into the sunset. This wheelsize is just what the industry needs and will spawn a huge bulge in some of the most profitable areas in cycling (tries & wheels). New frame designs will abound, plus the fact that you can retro fit them to 26er frames is a boon. It will be fun next season. Wait till the DHers get 650b going.

mtbr member
    It should remain 650b because that's what its inventors called it.... show some respect for history you dingleberries.

As far as short hand nicknames go, I'm with Trail Wizard..... B'ers.... I like B'ers

dwt
    mtbr member
    It would make much more sense to describe wheels with the rim size, because the tire diameter fluctucates so much due to tire size. 559mm, 584mm, and 622mm. Or even rounding to 56cm, 58cm, and 62cm. It may be too late for that.

I think 27.5" is stupid. Doesn't sound good, and makes people think that the rim size exactly splits the difference between 26" + 29", when it is really much closer to 26".
    Totally don't get that or agree. For over 20 years, the industry has dubbed the "regular" wheel size as 26" which is the outside diameter of the wheel with tire mounted and inflated measured in inches. Same with 29" for over 10 years. Nobody gave or gives a damn that certain tires make the wheels slightly taller or slighly shorter than the demonination.

Now we have the in bewtween size, and people arguing that by using IDO/bsd metric measurements ( which NOBODY f'ing gets and which compares imperial apples to metric ISO oranges) the new wheel is closer to 26" than 29".

I say B.S. I have 4 "650b" wheels , different tire brands, different widths mounted on different rims. They all measure close to exactly 27.5 inches using a level and a yardstick.

This is a Neomoto 2.1 mounted on a WTB Laser Disc Trail rim.

Why confuse the public? It is MUCH simpler and NOT inaccurate to to market the wheel as exactly halfway between 26" and 29", comparing apples to apples: OD measured in inches with tire mounted and inflated.

Getting all metric and ISO is a bunch of meaningless insider sounding technical jargon AFAIC, and all it will do is confuse and mislead consumers and inhibit the acceptance of the middle wheel size.

Just say 27.5" - halfway between 26" and 29" - and be DONE with it.
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Wizard View Post
    I spoke with a Specialized sales rep last week and he said they might have a tire next year, and the soonest they'll have a bike is 2014 or 2015. He said they wished they hadn't continued with many of their current 26ers, and they wished they had pursued 650b for those equivalent models instead.
    If this is true....well then....crap. I was kinda hoping big S was throwing up a smoke screen and was going to dazzle us in 2013. Even though I secretly suspected that they would do what they did w/29ers -- wait & see what the market does before jumping in w/both feet.

Here in the midwest it's easy to get a bike from your LBS as long as you want Specialized or Giant* ("we play both kinds of music -- country AND western"). Now my hopes of an HL 650b-specific trail bike lie solely on Norco. The good news is that the closest Norco dealer is only 700+ miles away.....

*I know I can get other bikes here in the midwest...it was an attempt at humor. How does that saying go? If you have to explain it....

dwt
    mtbr member
    And? My point was that 650b is pretty close to the middle of 26/29. Saying its not close ENOUGH to call it 27.5 is pretty silly. Should we go with 27.16"?

27.5" makes perfect sense in the overall scheme of 26" and 29" wheels/tires we have currently.
    +1

dwt
    mtbr member
    26 x 1.1127 = 28.93 rounds to 29"
    26 x 1.0447 = 27.16 rounds to 27"

lose the point5.
    Nope.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast