mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Can a Rocky Mountain Element 26er convert to 650b?

I did a search and looked and many of the pages on the sticky above but didnt find the answer. I understand that their are 650b specific frame this year but they are not wallet friendly.

Has anyone with this bike converted to 650b?

NedwannaB

My research from awhile ago said no

Quote Originally Posted by LowOnO2 View Post
    Has anyone with this bike converted to 650b?
    But here's a recent post stating otherwise, not sure just "where" he heard it's a tight fit for the alum model. And yes the search function is quirky(ier) now.

FS for a HT rider
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I've converted my alloy '12 element MSL to 650b front and back. I also tried the carbon MSL but it was too tight on the chainstays for anything over a 2.0 tire. Also hit the seattube quite early in the travel. The alloy version has huge room at the chainstays. I shimmed the shock to 110mm, and its golden. You need to change the stock fork too.
    I'm selling mine in the next few months - probably get a new one.
    Hope that helps, Medz

NedwannaB
    A new fork or a new 650 specific MSL?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mederz View Post
    I've converted my alloy '12 element MSL to 650b front and back. I also tried the carbon MSL but it was too tight on the chainstays for anything over a 2.0 tire. Also hit the seattube quite early in the travel. The alloy version has huge room at the chainstays. I shimmed the shock to 110mm, and its golden. You need to change the stock fork too.
    I'm selling mine in the next few months - probably get a new one.
    Hope that helps, Medz
    I changed the stock Rockshox fork to a Fox float 120 (26" version). There wasn't an option of a 650b fork available to me at that time.
    The bike rides way better with the bigger wheels. BB is still low but now feels perfect. I'm a big man (6'3" and 230) and was a 29er diehard until I converted two of my bikes. Now its 650 all the way for me. Great balance between 26 & 29 but much more playful and WAY stiffer than the 29, which is important for big, strong men.

Hope that helps.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by Mederz View Post
    The bike rides way better with the bigger wheels. BB is still low but now feels perfect. I converted two of my bikes. Now its 650 all the way for me. Great balance between 26 & 29 but much more playfull
    Cool. Ditto for me. 3 converted 26" HT's presently running 1 as a SS, a fs which has now been changed to a real 650, a Ventana El Bastardo.
    Still have a 29'r HT as being of a slighter build then yourself @ ~5'-6"/140#, I can get away without too much flex, frame or wheels.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Mederz, what size tire are you running in the back?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by LowOnO2 View Post
    Mederz, what size tire are you running in the back?
    I'm running a Racing Ralph 2.25. No issues whatsoever.
    Medz

mtbr member
    I noticed a lot of people mentioning the Racing Ralph tires for their 650b conversion, is that because they have a smaller overall diameter?

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by Epic_Dude View Post
    I noticed a lot of people mentioning the Racing Ralph tires for their 650b conversion, is that because they have a smaller overall diameter?
    Not really. More so on the light(er) weight and the grippy(er) nobs. I'd say they're in the middle/bigger end of the tires available in the size/intended xc/light trail use.
    Last edited by JMac47; 03-01-2013 at 08:20 AM. Reason: typo