mtbr member

Calling all Cannondale Prophet Conversions

I'm thinking about building some wheels for my 05 Prophet. I've talked to a few people on PM about their experience. If you've converted yours, can you tell me the pro's and con's you've run into? One person I talked to at a LBS was telling me the geometry would be all screwed up. I also have a fear of the rear wheel rubbing. I run 2.3 Nevegals and they rub from time to time so I'm surprised that people say they don't have a problem. Also I tend to ride in FR mode so if you've done a conversion and ride in that frame position I'd really like to hear your opinion.

*Post pics if you have em!

Just a flesh wound
    I have my Prophet set up 650b with 2.3 Neo Moto tires front and back on Velocity Blunt SL rims. I have no rub in XC. I can't run in FR. The only geometry change is that you do get taller and that takes some getting used to. That said, I ride New England rocks and roots. The extra BB clearance is great. So is the added pedal clearance.
    My name is Chris and I ride a Prophet 650b with a Lefty.

Just a flesh wound
    I have run with a 650b on the front and a 26 on the back of my Prophet. If you like FR setting, this is as close as you can get. You would have the bike in XC setting, but the head angle is close to the FR setting. The roll over of the front is nice. I did it with the same 2.3 Neo up front, but I broke my rear wheel so I put the old 26" back on with a Nev 2.35. It worked well, but I like the XC setting and clearance of the 650b front and back.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    As we discussed in a PM it doesn't seem possible to use a 650b wheel in the 67.5 degree FR setting without seat post contact. 2 solutions come to mind. Shim the shock to limit travel or keep it in the XC setting and run an angle set in the head tube. Since the Prophet has big 49.6mm head tube both top and bottom and requires an external cup it's possible Works Components in the UK will have or can make and angle set to slack it out up to 2 degrees (at least with a conventional fork as I'm not familiar with the Lefty but they do custom stuff) with a 1 1/8" steerer tube and 1.5 degrees with a tapered fork. You get the FR HA you want, slightly lower BB, and the ability to run the 650b both front and back. Don't listen to the bike shop it doesn't screw up the geometry and any additional height you adapt to very quickly.

mtbr member
    I'm not too worried about the height. To tell you the truth the pedals hit the ground in FR all the time, so raising the BB doesn't seem like a bad idea to me. LOL! There is a possibility with the larger wheels that the rollover would be a little better and then the headtube angle wouldn't be as bad. To tell you the truth the xc setting is 69 if I remember correctly which is still on the low end of most "xc" bikes right?

mtbr member
    One geometry change from going 650B is increased trail, which makes the bike more stable. Since added height is often perceived as a move to less stability, the changes even each other out somewhat.

I've enjoyed my '06 Prophet in the FR setting and I'm going 650B primarily to add BB height. I'm updating the wheels in any case so the conversion itself isn't a matter of cost but choice.

Somehow I have the impression that you could avoid seat tube rub as long as tire size remains 2.25" or below. Could someone confirm or debunk this? Shimming the rear shock to prevent rubbing sounds like a sacrifice I'd be willing to make.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saul Lumikko View Post
    I've enjoyed my '06 Prophet in the FR setting and I'm going 650B primarily to add BB height.
    Sounds like you are tired off banging rocks too! LOL! I just had to buy a new rear shock so I'm not in the new wheel market for a few paychecks. Let me know if you end up getting a certain tire size to work in the FR position. I saw a pic of a Prophet on here that the guy said was 27.5 and you could tell the suspension bolt was in the FR position, unfortunately his account hasn't been logged into since 2012. That's why I started this thread instead of just PM'ing people. Hoping maybe forgot their info and see's this post.

....actually just found another post by the guy. This one he has a video of the bike with 2.3's on the rims. http://forums.mtbr.com/650b-27-5/fin...bd-450185.html

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I've just sold my Prophet and need to dissasemble it for shipping. Before I do I can throw back on my 650b wheel and snap a pic of what's going on clearance wise in both settings. Tire will be a Pacenti Neo Moto 2.3" at 28psi which has a diameter of approx 27.5".

If you want a peek at it here it is in the classifieds with it's 26" wheels. It's also missing a bunch of blue anno blingy stuff and a carbon bar I removed before putting it up for sale.

2008 Cannondale Prophet 1 size large (19") $1,000 - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories

mtbr member
    Mtbg33k: That's the thread I had read before! Good find!

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Lee View Post
    No, even in the FR setting I did not have to change the travel. It is very close though when the bike (seat tube) is muddy you can see where the tire touches the mud but not enough to rub it totally off.
    Quote Originally Posted by amillmtb View Post
    The DLR 110's (SL and DLR2)'s dont have to be limited, I dont know about the max...I would guess that you dont have to.
    Seems like it's just a question of having the right rear shock or limiting it as necessary. Nothing drastic when it comes to travel.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Oh yeah, that was another thing I noticed and hated in the freeride mode with the Prophet (besides steering precision loss) was the pedal strikes. Not good at all for New England. Stock BB height with 26" wheels in the XC setting is 13.75". FR setting drops the BB height 1/2" so that's 13.25". Really bad for a full squish bike here in New England or anyplace very rocky. The good thing is the 650b wheels would restore that BB height in the FR setting back to the original XC setting of 13.75". Totally acceptable.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I have a '05 Prophet converted. Built the wheels using WTB i23 rims. I've only run Schwalbe tires. Hans Dampf 2.35 rubs in the back at full compresson, the 2.25 Hans Dampf, Nobby Nic and Rocket Ron do not. This is in XC mode, I don't care for the feel of the bike in FR setting, it's probably like Saul said, you increase the trail switching to 27.5, then increase it maybe too much (for me) in FR mode. Bike sits tall, but I run it at 30% sag, and still have lots of crank clearance, even for Colorado Front Range single track.

mtbr member
    Calling all Cannondale Prophet Conversions-image.jpgFinally got my Prophet converted. Velocity Blunt 35 rims with White Ind M16 hubs. No rub issues. Kenda Nevegal 2.35 on 2008 Fox Talas, Maxxis Crossmax 2.1 rear.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Here's my Prophet running 27.5x2.35 Kenda Nevegals.

I originally had 2.10s in the back, until the sidewall was punctured and I used my spare set of 2.35s. Needless to say, I will not likely go back to the 2.10 Kenda Nevegals in the rear. I did notice my seat tube has small scratches conveniently where the tires must rub when I bottom out, so it does have a limit...and this is when I ride in FR mode.

You won't really notice anything else other than when running 2.35 tires opposed to 2.10, your front derailure will rub in 1st gear unless you have it set to BARELY touch 1st gear, which will place a damper on the response to it grabbing the sprocket. I seldomly have mine in 1st, so that's something you'll have to consider with 2.35s.

I decided to be nice and take pictures of mine for you, but please mind that it was just after a night ride in the rain, so it's a little wet:

Calling all Cannondale Prophet Conversions-screen-shot-2013-10-10-10.23.32-pm.jpgCalling all Cannondale Prophet Conversions-screen-shot-2013-10-10-10.23.41-pm.jpgCalling all Cannondale Prophet Conversions-screen-shot-2013-10-10-10.24.36-pm.jpg

And I'm not sure if this truly makes a difference but the rear is tubeless on Stan's flow 650b rims. So it can vary if you use inner tubes with how the beads ride the rim.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    You won't really notice anything else other than when running 2.35 tires opposed to 2.10, your front derailure will rub in 1st gear unless you have it set to BARELY touch 1st gear, which will place a damper on the response to it grabbing the sprocket. I seldomly have mine in 1st, so that's something you'll have to consider with 2.35s.
    If you run a 2 ring setup up front there is a solution to this. Shimano SLX FD-M665 E Type. Short compact cage made just for 2 rings and keeps it away from the tire better with better shifting also.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    I'll have to check out the derailleur up front. I switched to a 2x9 awhile ago and for the most part I enjoy it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Curious about this myself folks. I have a 2007 prophet I just built up and am now thinking about trying this 650b thing out. I have a line on wheels but I am loath to buy a fork with a 1.125 steerer on it. Totally a personal bias, but I am curious what those of you did as far as headsets go, and if you bought straight or tapered forks. In the interest of full disclosure I am looking at x fusion velvet forks. any input is appreciated.

Just a flesh wound
    I kept my Lefty Max 140 on the bike. No changes. It is at Mendon now getting converted to PBR Damper with Solo Air Spring.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I would love to have the lefty option but I bought the frame sort of naked and will need to buy a fork. Lefty's are kinda out of my budget at the moment.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I have a converted rush which I think has a pretty similar rear swingarm. It clears a pacenti 2.3 and nevegal 2.3 just fine, but I get seat tube rub and swingarm rub with a 2.35 hans dampf. No surprise there though.

fwiw, I have a pair of blunt's (non-sl) on XT rr/amclass 15mm front that I'll be unloading cheap. Great wheels for a convert. I'll throw in the nevegals too. I bought somebody else's king setup so I'm unloading. I also have an angleset (1.5" reducer) so you could slacken your bike out if you're concerned with the headtube angle.

Sorry for the spam, but I thought it was relevant conversion stuff.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Zgraphic View Post
    Curious about this myself folks. I have a 2007 prophet I just built up and am now thinking about trying this 650b thing out. I have a line on wheels but I am loath to buy a fork with a 1.125 steerer on it. Totally a personal bias, but I am curious what those of you did as far as headsets go, and if you bought straight or tapered forks. In the interest of full disclosure I am looking at x fusion velvet forks. any input is appreciated.
    You can install a tapered fork on the Prophet. The top and bottom of the head tube is 49.6mm. You could keep your existing top 1.125" cup/bearing assy and just get a new lower external cup/bearing assy that fits a tapered 1.5" fork and has the 49.6mm insertion diameter.

Many companies (Cane Creek, FSA, Hope etc) are now selling separate top and bottom head pieces so you can mix and match or just buy 1. Of course if you want an entire new headset you can do that also.

You could also use a Works Components angle set if you wanted to change the head angle 1 or 1.5 degrees with a tapered fork or 2 degrees with a 1.125" fork.

If I had kept my Prophet I would have left it in the XC setting for BB height reasons (New England rocks) and put in a Works angle set to slacken the head angle. Win win!
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Thanks for the responses but I think I may have made this confusing. My prophet has a 1.5 cane creek factory headset on it now. I am understanding from the previous post that you mean I could buy a tapered fork and just replace the top of the headset with a 1.125 bearing and what-not.

correct?

As an aside I think I bought the e-type front derailleur for this bike from you Skidad.

mtbr member
    I'm getting close to building my 650b wheels. Unfortunately I had some other stuff I had to drop some money into and the wheels took a back seat. That and I found a set of Stan's Arch 26 wheels built for a lefty for $230 shipped. So I bought them for my GF. It was one of those deals I couldn't let pass. Either way, I'm excited about this conversion and to be honest I think I'm going to dump the front derailleur all together and just go with a 1x10 set up. I'm 2x9 right now and can ride almost everything in my 36 tooth up front. I figured if I'm going somewhere with a lot of big climbs I could throw a 32 back on and have a little comfort room in my climbing. I'll post pics when I finally get this all together. I am getting the bike powder coated around the same time so it will be like a new build!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    OK so I am at a loss, can anyone recommend a headset for a tapered fork to fit my 2007 prophet?

mtbr member
    Don't know if you got this figured out yet but your headtube fits a standard 1.5 top and bottom. I used a Crank Bros 1.5 to 1.125 conversion but i have a straight steerer. for tapered there are a lot more options. Cane creek has plenty; use a ZS or EC 49 (depending on your fork) with a 28.6 inner upper and a 39.79 inner bottom. Sorry for the late reply, i hav'mnt been getting forum updates.