mtbr member

Buying my first 27.5er

Hey guys I've been riding for several months now and ride intermediate singletrack but wouldn't consider myself a noob anymore. I ride a old spesh hardrock from craigslist that is heavy as f*** compared to my friends' bikes. Looking at buying a 27.5er for my first real entry level bike that will perform decently and get me off that damn hardrock that's like riding a tank.

some info: I'm 5'10" weigh 160 lbs

Right now I have my sights on Giant Talon 27.5 4 for $700 which is the top of my price range (college student).

Just wondering if y'all know any other 27.5ers on the market that I may have looked over/need to be compared to the Talon 27.5? Thanks
    Ride it into the ground.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by wacobkr View Post
    Hey guys I've been riding for several months now and ride intermediate singletrack but wouldn't consider myself a noob anymore. I ride a old spesh hardrock from craigslist that is heavy as f*** compared to my friends' bikes. Looking at buying a 27.5er for my first real entry level bike that will perform decently and get me off that damn hardrock that's like riding a tank. some info: I'm 5'10" weigh 160 lbsRight now I have my sights on Giant Talon 27.5 4 for $700 which is the top of my price range (college student). Just wondering if y'all know any other 27.5ers on the market that I may have looked over/need to be compared to the Talon 27.5? Thanks
    HI, I just bought a talon 4 a few weeks ago and love it. I came from a cheapo mtb so of course this is worlds of difference and im not sure im very qualified to talk about pros and cons lol. I will say, i was looking for a 29er but took the chance on the 27.5 and am not dissapointed. I went with Giant because the price/quality was a great deal imo. Ive thrown alot at it and it eats it all up. I did a review for it on this site if you want to check it out. Also, I got mine for 650 +tax with a 10% military discount so im sure they can go down a little. I will say, I can see how the suntour front shock is scoffed at by the vets but Its fine for me for now as im used to destroying 100 dollar walmart specials and this suspension is 3 steps up from that.

mtbr member
    You might want to take a look at the 2014 Scott Aspect 740 which I think will price out at the same $700 level (MSRP).
    I personally ride a 2013 KHS Sixfifty 600 and I think KHS has something in that price range but they have yet to reveal their 2014 lineup.
    Good luck and good riding.

Dirt Slinger
    The new khs sixfifty 500 has 27.5 wheels, an air shock and hydraulic brakes for 890$. I would get the talon 27.5 5 and upgrade brakes to bb5s or bb7s after the tektros go bad. Just my thoughts. I'm getting a tslon 27.5 5 in less than a week. SO EXCITED!,!