mtbr member

Burner or Bronson???

I'm getting really close to pulling the trigger on a new 650b bike. I'll most likely buy a frame and swap my parts over. I'm currently riding a 2011 Trek Remedy.

I've pretty much narrowed it down to either a Burner or a Bronson. I'm leaning towards the burner as is closer to my Remedy in terms of suspension which I like. I like that the Bronson has 150mm of travel and a carbon option. My only concern with the Bronson is that I really enjoy the active braking pivot of my Remedy which I would continue to enjoy with the Burner. I haven't ridden a VPP frame since my Intense 5.5. Has it changed at all? Is there anything else I should be looking at?

While I'm at it........I have a Fox 34 160mm travel fork for 26" wheels. Will this work for 650b?

mtbr member
    Checkout the new Pivot Firebird 27.5 that was just announced at Sea Otter. If you like DW-Link suspension but want more travel then the Burner the new Firebird might be your sled.

As for your fork, I believe most of the Fox 26" forks will accept 27.5 wheels but they might limit the size of the rubber you can run. With new fatter 27.5 tires coming out it would be kind of a shame to be limited by a 26" fork in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Thanks rehammer81 I'm not married to the fork I have. I will buy a new one I'd just rather not if I didn't have to. My 34 is brand new so I'd likely be able to get a decent buck for it.

mtbr member
    I'm pretty sure it will work for tires up to about the size of the 2.3" Neo Motos or 2.35" Hans Dampf but with limited mud clearance. If you ride in dry conditions and don't think you will have a desire to rock any of the new 2.4"+ tires coming out then you might be good to go.

mtbr member
    I don't think I'd be unhappy on any of them. Unfortunately test riding anything around here is out of the question.

mtbr member
    I'm right there with you guys. Been itching to pull the trigger on a 650b all-mountain sled but also can't help but wait to see what else becomes available. I really like DW-Link but VPP is nice too. They say the modified FSR that Norco is using on the Sight and Range pedals pretty good though. My short list is now Firebird, Bronson, Range/Sight, Burner, Tracer 275. I would love to have carbon also but the only option right now is the Bronson. I want a dedicated 27.5 built bike so all the conversion bikes with interchangeable dropouts to make it work are off my list. Geometries are just slightly compromised in my opinion. What drives me nuts is I bet Pivot launches this alloy Firebird 27.5 this year and then will drop a sweet carbon version next after we are all hooked. I don't think I can/want to wait that long. Damn it!

mtbr member
    I agree with the conversions. I don't want it. Which is why I'll most likely buy a new fork as well. I think I could convert my Remedy but don't want a 14" bb.

As I type this I really think I'm leaning towards the Turner. Carbon is nice but is almost $800 nice (close to the price of a fork)???

I know the Burner is going to ride exactly the way I want it to. And with the larger wheel size maybe I won't miss the 10mm of travel I'll be giving up.

mtbr member
    The Burner is nice. I demoed one in Moab at Outerbike last October. I believe they were preproduction and a few minor tweaks were made but overall it was a nice bike. Dave Tuner himself said the suspension was a little off because the shock tunes he had on the demo wound up a little overdamped. It was literally the last bike I rode after three days worth of demoing so I was shelled and wouldn't pretend to be able to give it a fair review at that point.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Burner or Bronson???-20130410_174002.jpg

I vote Burner. Here's mine. Really fun bike to ride fast.

mtbr member
    Nice Build mtxandy. You probably got the black one I was hoping to get. Unfortunately for me Burner orders are waaaay back up. I ended up ordering a Bronson. Large carbon in yellow with the SPX AM build. Hoping to have it by the end of next week.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Solid. I suppose you cant go wrong either way. I'm curious to ride a Bronson to compare. I would hate to like it more though. Have fun on your new bike.