Finally stateside again

building a new bike, input please

alright so i have made the rash choice( this is always how i end up with new bikes) to build a new trail bike. right now i am on a 12 stumpy evo carbon thats set up 1x10. while i enjoy the bike it didnt live up to eveything i thought it was going to be. i never really felt all the way comfortable on the bike. its also a little over board for what i ride on a day to day basis. With the market switching to 124-140mm trail bikes i figured i would give a new build a try. so the bikes im looking at are the Devinci Troy, Santa Cruz 5010 and the Ibis HDR. the only thing i am sure about at this point is the bike will have a new pike on it lowered to 140mm and it will run a X01 1x11 drive train. i am at a big toss up with the frames. i have never riden a split piviot but i have heard nothing bad. love vpp i have a 951 right now and have owned 4 other vpp bikes. the HDR im not really to sure about i just threw it in cuz its a 135mm bike. right now my stumpy is a med but i am 5'11 but way closer to 6ft so i am in between on some bikes. i want go with a large but i have always riden smaller bikes but i think its time for a change. im looking at about 6k for my build maybe more maybe less deplending on how much i sell the stumpy for. and in put or experience would be great. i have read a ton on all the bikes but first hand rider feedback is always far more true then media reviews

mtbr member
    Three awesome bikes...hard to really make a "bad" decision here. Your build sounds killer too.
    Personally I think the troy looks REALLY sick, and I think Weagel is a genius, so it's really interesting to me, but it strikes me as the most similar to your stumpy (I'm assuming it's the 26" version)... similar travel, short rear end, slack head angle, long top tube, but w/ 650b... I don't know if you'd view that as a good or bad thing. Also, if the Evo was overboard, what is this? This bike looks to be pretty bomber to me.
    The SC on the other hand is.. I hate to use over-used terms like "raciest" or "XC", but you know what I mean...obviously...it's lighter, steeper, shorter travel... surely fun and fast as baawwwls. Guys at my 29er-leaning LBS are raving about this bike but I haven't ridden it yet....hopefully over Thanksgiving. The geometry & travel are practically identical to the heavily tweaked Mojo SL 650b I've been riding for a while, but with a nicely lower bb, so I feel certain it will rip.
    The HD-R is the one I would spend my money on first... a lot of people bagged on it because they were expecting more travel and a very un-Ibis-like geometry, but I think it's outstanding. Contrary to popular myth, 130mm hits the bullseye, IMO, for an aggressive trail/AM 650b quiver killer. Tight and responsive, but with enough well-tuned travel to take most of what anybody will dish out. Santa Cruz gets this too with the Solo. For me it keeps all the things I love about my current and best-ever bike (ideal travel and suspension performance for my rocky and steep (up and down) trails, perfect fit, stone cold reliability, beauty) and fixes everything that needs fixing (stiffer, more tire clearance, and MINOR tweaks to bb height and head angle)....then it throws in the ability to change shocks and chips and turn it into a proper 26" brawler. Although I've been a 27.5 convert for a couple years, for more DH focused riding I like the 76er format best, and the HD just gives you so many options on how to set that up. This is all just rank personal opinion, with some speculation too, from a self confessed fanboy, so take it for what it's worth... Fun dilemma for you!

Finally stateside again
    Quote Originally Posted by doismellbacon View Post
    Three awesome bikes...hard to really make a "bad" decision here. Your build sounds killer too.
    Personally I think the troy looks REALLY sick, and I think Weagel is a genius, so it's really interesting to me, but it strikes me as the most similar to your stumpy (I'm assuming it's the 26" version)... similar travel, short rear end, slack head angle, long top tube, but w/ 650b... I don't know if you'd view that as a good or bad thing. Also, if the Evo was overboard, what is this? This bike looks to be pretty bomber to me.
    The SC on the other hand is.. I hate to use over-used terms like "raciest" or "XC", but you know what I mean...obviously...it's lighter, steeper, shorter travel... surely fun and fast as baawwwls. Guys at my 29er-leaning LBS are raving about this bike but I haven't ridden it yet....hopefully over Thanksgiving. The geometry & travel are practically identical to the heavily tweaked Mojo SL 650b I've been riding for a while, but with a nicely lower bb, so I feel certain it will rip.
    The HD-R is the one I would spend my money on first... a lot of people bagged on it because they were expecting more travel and a very un-Ibis-like geometry, but I think it's outstanding. Contrary to popular myth, 130mm hits the bullseye, IMO, for an aggressive trail/AM 650b quiver killer. Tight and responsive, but with enough well-tuned travel to take most of what anybody will dish out. Santa Cruz gets this too with the Solo. For me it keeps all the things I love about my current and best-ever bike (ideal travel and suspension performance for my rocky and steep (up and down) trails, perfect fit, stone cold reliability, beauty) and fixes everything that needs fixing (stiffer, more tire clearance, and MINOR tweaks to bb height and head angle)....then it throws in the ability to change shocks and chips and turn it into a proper 26" brawler. Although I've been a 27.5 convert for a couple years, for more DH focused riding I like the 76er format best, and the HD just gives you so many options on how to set that up. This is all just rank personal opinion, with some speculation too, from a self confessed fanboy, so take it for what it's worth... Fun dilemma for you!
    yes i have the 26 Evo. i see it as over kill just for my area. if i am riding lake tahoe its perfect but for the sf bay area its to much and thats what i ride 70% of the time. so i am hoping to take a inch off front and back will still leave me with a very capable and agressive bike but just a little more fit to my area. Also with the stump it bobs like crazy and never reall felt great when i would sit and pedal. the bike is great going down hill but not fun on the longer climbs. it also didnt jump well. felt very unstable when going off a lip..

I love the Troy. its at the top end of travel but price is spot on for the carbon. my only true worry with it is the sizing. i have read that the top tube from the med to the large is a huge difference.

the 5010(solo) looks like a killer bike. i know the large will fit perfect and i would run a 140mm pike up front which would give me 67 HA and read it will help on BB height as well. im not seeing a ton of draw backs to the bike beside the frame cost and its at the bottem end of travel. i dont want to give up a ton i just want to drop a little

the HDR i was really impressed with when i first saw it. always been an ibis fan and love they are a local CA brand. the more i read about the bike the more i am drawen away reading about it they have mentioned a lot that the back end donst like to stay on the ground and it felt harsh. also in the ibis forum people are going though chainstays like crazy. as far as geo and travel the bike is my perfect frame

all and all i do have a good problem on my hands. i wish i could go ride all these but i am deployed and want to have a new build for when i get home.

mtbr member

building a new bike, input please

I haven't read these reports of harsh rear suspension that doesn't want to stay on the ground....I'm not even sure what that last part means... both sound like setup issues. The suspension does firm up under pedaling forces, but if you set the sag at 30%+ and set your damping adjustment well, they're plenty plush.
    I'm also unaware of, and not understanding, the chain stay issue you're referring to. They're super reliable frames, and Ibis is renowned for being the best in customer support... Is this people getting tire rub in the rear tri??

Finally stateside again
    this is the review im talking about

Ibis Mojo HDR - Review - Pinkbike

and in the ibis forum under the HDR builds there are a few people with broken rears and front triangles. they did mention how good the customer support was as well. i have no experience with the bikes and i have heard very little bad about them over the years.

i have been looking into the troy more and more. i got a custom build specd out from
    Fanatik thats pretty sweet and right in my price range. unless i can find a great deal on the 5010 frame in black then i think the troy might be my next bike. im going to give it a month or so before i order i know they have some good sales at the end of the year so i might be able to build this bike for under 6k which would be awesome