mtbr member
    Jan 2010

building 650b on a tight budget

I'm thinking about building up a 650b conversion. I'm new to this, and I gotta say reading all the info on here is getting a intimidating. I'm having a tough time sorting things out in these long threads.

Anyone have any suggestions for the budget builder? Of course everyone everyone wants the holy grail of light, durable, and inexpensive, and I know sometimes thats not possible. But I'll take any suggestions I can get.

I've been reading about wheels and thought the the Light Bicycle carbon were an awesome deal. But now I'm reading about Stan's and Pacenti. And the confusion starts again.

Then there's the fork. Go with a new 650 specific model? A non-650b that fits the 27.5 tires? Can't really find a specific list of those anywhere. Where can I get in with decent quality at a low price point.

Someone out there has to know where the deals are.

I appreciate any tips or suggestions.

thanks

mtbr member
    May 2011
    What are you looking at accomplishing exactly? I'm bought a Santa Cruz Nickel frame and have been ebaying majority of my parts for great deals. Also been getting parts from friends for good deals. Seems everyone has parts lying around. I'm using a 26" fork off a Specialized Stuntjumper and got a great deal on ebay on some American Classics 650b wheelset.

The White Jeff W
    Yeah it would help if we knew what your budget is. Do you have a bike that will fit 650B or are you starting from scratch?
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Yes, more info would be helpful. I was going to suggest a Nickel too.... looks like their all gone from SC's clearance page though. They've got Butchers if you're looking for a bigger bike though...
    Santa Cruz Bicycles
    I think you're on the right track looking at Stan's or Pacenti wheels too. With either you can pick the rim that suits you best.
    For forks, again not knowing your intent, the X-Fusion Velvet is an unbeatable value, and available in the straight 1 1/8 steerer that many conversion bikes will need....many of the new crop of dedicated 650b forks are tapered only. I think it's fair to say that Fox forks are the best for conversion based on the ample arch clearance for a 26" design, but X-Fusion are getting phenomenal reviews, will give you clearance for the new crop of 650b fatty tires, and are a relative bargain.
    The conversion process is really not that tough....don't be intimidated... If you get a frame and fork that are known to work, then really all their is to it is limiting the shock stroke if the frame requires it... and that's easier than adjusting a derailleur properly.... and there's lots of super helpful dudes in this forum.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I'm sorry, I should have mentioned I'm mainly looking for component suggestions. Frame is decided (I think). Trail riding, no racing or anything, and the trails don't get to crazy in the midwest. But I need one bike that can do it all. Bike I'm thinking of building will have 140mm travel in the rear.

How can I tell which forks will clear 650b if they are not designed for it? Which 26" Fox forks will work?

doismellbacon, which Velvet are you recommending?

mtbr member
    I'd just get the specific 650B Rock Shox fork. When contemplating a similar build I was going to go with the Rockshox Revelation 650B RCT3 fork. All in all though, there is no budget build on such a bike when you put on good enough wheels and fork worth riding on.

mtbr member
    All Fox forks for the last 5 years at least have good arch clearance....bottom out clearance at the crown can be an issue with tires over 2.3

For the record, I've not owned any X-Fusion products, but I'm thinking seriously about getting a Velvet 140 w/ the 15mm TA for better fat tire compatibility. Here is is....
    X Fusion Shox - RL2
    They're getting rave reviews in the press, but more importantly from people I trust in this forum who've tried tons of stuff and have to spend their own money on what they ride. They're reported to be very light, stiff, have damping that matches the best from Fox and RS, and you can get a new 650b fork with warranty configured how you want it in the $400 range.

I've got a '08 Fox Float 100, a '08 Float 140, an '09 RS Revelation Maxle 140mm (aka Pike), and a 2010 RS Revelation 150 all running 650b. I love the Revelations, but the 2010 Revelation (and all models since then with the same arch design) require some filing of the arch to fit my preferred 2.35 Nevegal on the front, which is why I don't recommend it. The Pikes and '09 Revelation Maxle are great forks with good clearance up to 2.3, and can be bought used on Ebay really cheap... the Pikes are heavy by today's standard (the '09 Rev version is lighter) but stiff, reliable, and can be tuned really well if you take the time to understand their system.

You should read through the 650b Compatible Forks thread for more options, but bottom line is pretty much any Fox will work as long as you mind the bottom out crown clearance.

NedwannaB

Budget?

Quote Originally Posted by richulr View Post
    I'm sorry, I should have mentioned I'm mainly looking for component suggestions. Frame is decided (I think). Trail riding, no racing or anything, and the trails don't get to crazy in the midwest. But I need one bike that can do it all. Bike I'm thinking of building will have 140mm travel in the rear.

How can I tell which forks will clear 650b if they are not designed for it? Which 26" Fox forks will work?

doismellbacon, which Velvet are you recommending?
    That will be relative to your desires. Are you trying for a high end/low outlay build? Unless you're wanting to do the parts search/build yourself, you might be better off just buying a complete 650B specific bike i.e. KHS or Jamis, complete. 2nd hand either on here or the other classified venues; Craigs or ebay.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    May 2005
    What is the frame you are building this (potential) bike around? You want advice so let us know please.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Mojo hd. That's where the budget is going.

mtbr member

nice frame for a "budget build"

Ibis Mojo HD Special Blend Bike 2013 > Complete Bikes > All-Mountain & Trail Mountain Bikes | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

go to the above for an example.....or better yet, just go out and buy something like a Jamis Dakar and be done with it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I'm just finishing up my first hardtail build (actually first build) with a new Voodoo Bokor frame off eBay for $260 and a 2011 Velvet RL (great shock, I'm not sure how it's so cheap) I scored for $170 then converted to a 650b shock for another $5 in parts. I chose the Bokor because I can run it SS, 2-speed with a front deraileur or full gearset and can run 26" tires for the trips to Ray's in the winter. The bike fits 2.3 NeoMoto's with ease. In my opinion it's the swiss army knife of bikes.

Keep an eye on eBay for new bike part takeoffs and be patient, eventually you will find some good deals. If I don't like the hard tail option I'm going to get a nickel frame and swap it all over FYI.

Anyway that's the run-down from someone who was in your shoes. My build was ~$900 total and could have been less if I wanted.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    You could build a 650B Nickel with a nice component set for under $2k easily. I say that because I'm in the process of finishing a Blur LT build and I'm just a hair over $2k- with a Fox Float FIT 150mm fork, Stans Arch EX wheels, and XO/XT components (mostly new). The Blur LT frame was about $300-400 more than the Nickel direct from Santa Cruz's website.

To the poster above that suggested the RS 650B-specific fork... I wouldn't call that "budget". New, they're around $750-900. For reference, you can get a new take-off Fox 32 Float or Talas for around $300-350, and they fit just fine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    To the poster above that suggested the RS 650B-specific fork... I wouldn't call that "budget". New, they're around $750-900. For reference, you can get a new take-off Fox 32 Float or Talas for around $300-350, and they fit just fine.
    True and good point.

NedwannaB

Nor would I call

Quote Originally Posted by danhasdrums View Post
    True and good point.
    A carbon Mojo HD and carbon wheels in a budget build either!
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    You could build a 650B Nickel with a nice component set for under $2k easily. I say that because I'm in the process of finishing a Blur LT build and I'm just a hair over $2k- with a Fox Float FIT 150mm fork, Stans Arch EX wheels, and XO/XT components (mostly new). The Blur LT frame was about $300-400 more than the Nickel direct from Santa Cruz's website.

I was looking for a budget build option, and I almost pulled the trigger on the Nickel. But then I saw that Epics are 650-compatible, and I got a '10 Epic on CL and then put Arch EX wheels on it--all for less than $2k total. And there are LOTS of used Epics on the market you could get cheaper than what I pad, as well.

But that depends on whether you want the shorter travel of an Epic or the longer travel of the Nickel or Mojo HD. Good luck with your decision. Let us know what you decide.
    My garage is a revolving door of bikes, wheelsets, & frames
    www.mtbdeals.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

650 Budget Build

Hey - I have a 650b set of WTB trail wheels. 20mm through front axle, standard rear QR and a White Bros Fluid 650b fork 130mm travel, 20mm through axle. Both have a couple of hundred miles of use and are in great shape. I am not using them with my new build and they would make a great set for a budget build. Shoot me a pm if you have any interest.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I built a Carbine for under 3000.00 with mostly new components xt,reverb post,Sixc carbon bars,Flows with Dt swiss Chub hub front DT Swiss 350 rear,fame and fork used but excellent condition,this to me was a budget build considering it is an Intense.patience and smart buying will get you deals!

banned
    Sep 2012
    cheapest place to get 650B tires is my650b.com check it out...