Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Bronson vs Norco Sight

Looking at getting a new trail bike. I've wanted a Bronson for the last year, but can get a better deal from the LBS on a Sight. I'd upgrade the Sight to a 150mm Pike. Has anybody ridden both? I'm looking for something that i can take on big rides in the high country and an enduro or two. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Yeah, this ^^^ for pretty much the same reasons. I have a 24 lb Tallboy2 for my everyday local rides but after experiencing riding in a lift served park over the summer at Snow Summit, I'm thinking about getting a 27.5 bike. I still want to keep it as light as possible and was leaning towards the Bronson because I've seen numerous sub 28 lb builds with a dropper post and Santa Cruz has always fit me well.

I'm interested in hearing about the Sight, Mach 6, Devinchi Troy and ??? I will be getting the 150mm Pike as well and a great climbing bike is **very** important to me as well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Having ridden both, (briefly) IMO the Bronson is a much burlier bike than the sight. I loved the sight, and want to get on one again (in my top five for next purchase), but I would put the range in the same category as the Bronson. Just my 2 cents.

If you are talking lift service downhill I would say the Bronson would be better equipped for that type of riding.

For the OP what is your terrain?

I only ask as a friend of mine just got a Bronson (aquaintence really)and claims the Bronson is way more than I would need for what I ride (mostly trail with some xc with some lite AM). He is pretty hard core (travels all over racing enduros) and one of the best riders in the whole metro area.
    Last edited by Atl-Biker; 11-08-2013 at 09:07 PM.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    What Atl-Biker said. I've ridden both
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    any input on which one pedaled better?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Both pedaled well but I would give a slight edge to the sight. It was a fantastic climber. Obviously Bronson an edge on the way down.

For what I ride if I was going to get one bike I would definitely opt for the Sight.

Where are you located? What are your trails like? I'm going to a demo tomorrow and am might get on the Bronson. I'm really going to be there for the solo but if there isn't too long a wait I'll give it a shot.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Bronson vs Norco Sight

Quote Originally Posted by Atl-Biker View Post
    Both pedaled well but I would give a slight edge to the sight. It was a fantastic climber. Obviously Bronson an edge on the way down.

For what I ride if I was going to get one bike I would definitely opt for the Sight.

Where are you located? What are your trails like? I'm going to a demo tomorrow and am might get on the Bronson. I'm really going to be there for the solo but if there isn't too long a wait I'll give it a shot.
    I'm headed to the same demo, plan to ride 5010 and Bronson but mainly to see if I want to switch to 27.5 in general. Been waiting for this demo ever since these bikes were released, really stoked to see if they live up to the hype.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarlaxle View Post
    I'm headed to the same demo, plan to ride 5010 and Bronson but mainly to see if I want to switch to 27.5 in general. Been waiting for this demo ever since these bikes were released, really stoked to see if they live up to the hype.
    I can tell you this, after riding the Remedy, Slash, and the Pivot Mach 6, I am all in on 650b. I am anxious to try the Santa Cruz, but I am 95% going to get a 27.5/650b for my next sled.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Atl-Biker View Post

You should demo an altitude if you think the sight climbs well. Not only is the altitude ridiculous on climbs but it can handle more than 99% of riders can dish out. Wade Simmons absolutely thrashes his altitude on the north shore

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Rager View Post
    You should demo an altitude if you think the sight climbs well. Not only is the altitude ridiculous on climbs but it can handle more than 99% of riders can dish out. Wade Simmons absolutely thrashes his altitude on the north shore
    If I were Wade Simmons I don't think it would matter what kind of bike I am getting lol.

The Altitude is definitely on my list for sure. I wish there was a demo but I don't think there will be one, since they aren't big in my area and only one shop carries them (awesome shop though).

The only thing that scares me about the RM's are the bushing issues. This will be my first full suspension purchase so I don't want to have to deal with anything like that.

mtbr member
    The OP didn't say anything about lift served stuff, but he did say "big rides in the high country and an enduro or two" so I would lean towards the Sight (rather than then Range) in the Norco line. Between the Bronson and Sight.... that's tough. Both good bikes and if you get a better deal on the Norco that would sway me. Plus, if you're undecided between 5010 and Bronson (which I would be given your stated ride requirements) the Sight seems to fit nicely in between those two.

Like someone else said, the Altitude would be a nice option as well in the same price range as the Norco plus it has adjustable geometry. Just picked one up for my wife.

The 150 Pike would be a nice upgrade, although I was quite impressed with the 2014 Fox 34s this year too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I just brought home my brand spankiin' new 2014 medium Norco Sight from LBS 2 hours ago. Custom built specs on black ALUMINUM frame. It is gorgeous. 25lbs 12oz sans pedals.

I demoed several rides (no bronson) and the Sight had the highest fun factor. Some bikes pedaled better, some bikes climbed better, but the Sight seduced me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldberm View Post
    I just brought home my brand spankiin' new 2014 medium Norco Sight from LBS 2 hours ago. Custom built specs on black ALUMINUM frame. It is gorgeous. 25lbs 12oz sans pedals.

I demoed several rides (no bronson) and the Sight had the highest fun factor. Some bikes pedaled better, some bikes climbed better, but the Sight seduced me.
    Congrats on the purchase.

1. Go ride it.
    2. Take some pics, start a thread and put them in there.

mtbr member
    I might hit lifts a couple of times in the season. That's why i thought the bronson would be perfect.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I was able to both the Solo and the Bronson today. I can tell you I was pretty surprised at how well the Bronson pedaled. It was the carbon version with ENVE wheels, so there were so many variables to really compare it to most of the other bikes I have been riden.

I loved the Solo as well but I did take it on a longer run and was warmed up at that point so that could have been a factor. Obviously the Bronson was amazing on the downhills, however I thought the Solo held it's own as well.

Both amazing bikes and I really thought the VPP suspension lived up to the hype.

I can tell you will NOT be disappointed with the Bronson an extremely capable and fun bike to ride. Depending on the deal though, you may want to go with the Sight as that is a great bike as well.

Almost everyone at the demo was loving the Bronson.

dwt
    mtbr member

Bronson vs Norco Sight

Quote Originally Posted by Goldberm View Post
    I just brought home my brand spankiin' new 2014 medium Norco Sight from LBS 2 hours ago. Custom built specs on black ALUMINUM frame. It is gorgeous. 25lbs 12oz sans pedals
    That's pretty svelte for an Aluminium frame bike. Hopefully your custom has affordable wheels on it (read: not Enve). XX1 would be perfect for this weight bike. What drivetrain ARE you running? For that matter, how is it specced out overall?
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

dwt
    mtbr member

Bronson vs Norco Sight

Quote Originally Posted by LeeL View Post
    What Atl-Biker said. I've ridden both
    Are you warming up to the wheel size? Or still: "meh, can't tell the difference"?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Wow, 25 pounds! That's awesome.

Can you post specs and photos?

I'd really like to see what it would take to get a sight at that weight!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    in my opinion I would say the sight ,, im 6'6 now 341lbs and ride the piss out of my sight , it takes everything I throw at it!!!!!!!!! so of course I would suggest the sight , in all fairness I did have to do some upgrades to handle me the main was the rear shock , went to coil van rc instead of air ,,,upgraged chain cause I snapped it ,,also I have not ridden the Bronson. Norco sight killer b (b-3model) is a real contender and not to be slept on
    Ride hard everytime....or take up hiking...........lol

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    yes ride ride ride & ride again ,,,its so dam exciting to get a new bike or hear someone else get 1 lol im acting like I just got a new bike .....just love the thrill these machines provide
    Ride hard everytime....or take up hiking...........lol

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dwt View Post
    That's pretty svelte for an Aluminium frame bike. Hopefully your custom has affordable wheels on it (read: not Enve). XX1 would be perfect for this weight bike. What drivetrain ARE you running? For that matter, how is it specced out overall?

My LBS just showcased it at the Philadelphia Bike Expo.
    You're right about the XX1. ...and no Enve.
    I'll take pics and post a thread today or tomorrow.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dwt View Post
    Are you warming up to the wheel size? Or still: "meh, can't tell the difference"?
    Warming up seems so negative. Next year all I'm reviewing are the 650b sizes so it'll be more chances to educate myself.
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

dwt
    mtbr member

Bronson vs Norco Sight

Quote Originally Posted by LeeL View Post
    Warming up seems so negative. Next year all I'm reviewing are the 650b sizes so it'll be more chances to educate myself.
    Well, you and Walt, as two of the most respected regulars on the forums, notoriously posted up some months ago reviews of 650 to the effect ( I'm paraphrasing not quoting so chime in if I'm out of line) that you couldn't tell "THE" difference between it and 26". "MUCH" I could understand, as it is fairly accurate with an inch in diameter larger as the difference in fact. Either way, I interpreted your opinion of the wheel as "meh."

So my thinking is if you have more saddle time by now, do you feel a or the difference?

I can think of a few. 1) a tad less flickable; 2) a tad better roll, and 3) a tad overgeared with 26'er gearing.

Of course, when you're talking about 29" vs. 26", " a tad" can be substituted with "significantly". "Meh" is not a common reaction when moving from lawn mower wheels to wagon wheels, with reason.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I have not ridden either (but I will demo the Bronson this coming Saturday), but one specific question...what time of terrain do you ride, or what is more important? The reason I ask is because each suspension design will give you something different. The VPP will pedal well and eat up terrain like nobody's business, but the Norco might pedal a bit better. Look at the geometries, and see which might suit you better.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    posting my experiences......
    demo'd a bronson on my trails - pedaled very well, and was a rock muncher. So much fun, but seemed like a bit more bike than I wanted.

demo'd a sight - geometry of the sight is incredible - hip steered through everything and long front end was very confidence inspiring, but thought it didn't climb as well as the bronson.

demo'd a solo - wow. bought a frame, and then put my 36 on the front (lowered to 140). It climbs better than the sight, downhills, just as well, and I personally think is more "fun" to ride than the bronson with the lower BB. If I was on super rocky trails all the time, I'd go for bronson for the higher BB. (FYI - I had a 26in TRc previously and I was surprised how much more I like the solo - almost as fun to throw around as the TRc, but more stable at speed)

all of these are exceptionally fun bikes! - just depends what matches up with your local terrain and riding style. demo them!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast