Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Bronson vs Norco Sight

11K views 31 replies 17 participants last post by  socalMX 
#1 ·
Looking at getting a new trail bike. I've wanted a Bronson for the last year, but can get a better deal from the LBS on a Sight. I'd upgrade the Sight to a 150mm Pike. Has anybody ridden both? I'm looking for something that i can take on big rides in the high country and an enduro or two. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
Yeah, this ^^^ for pretty much the same reasons. I have a 24 lb Tallboy2 for my everyday local rides but after experiencing riding in a lift served park over the summer at Snow Summit, I'm thinking about getting a 27.5 bike. I still want to keep it as light as possible and was leaning towards the Bronson because I've seen numerous sub 28 lb builds with a dropper post and Santa Cruz has always fit me well.

I'm interested in hearing about the Sight, Mach 6, Devinchi Troy and ??? I will be getting the 150mm Pike as well and a great climbing bike is **very** important to me as well.

#3 · (Edited)
Having ridden both, (briefly) IMO the Bronson is a much burlier bike than the sight. I loved the sight, and want to get on one again (in my top five for next purchase), but I would put the range in the same category as the Bronson. Just my 2 cents.

If you are talking lift service downhill I would say the Bronson would be better equipped for that type of riding.

For the OP what is your terrain?

I only ask as a friend of mine just got a Bronson (aquaintence really)and claims the Bronson is way more than I would need for what I ride (mostly trail with some xc with some lite AM). He is pretty hard core (travels all over racing enduros) and one of the best riders in the whole metro area.

#6 ·
Both pedaled well but I would give a slight edge to the sight. It was a fantastic climber. Obviously Bronson an edge on the way down.

For what I ride if I was going to get one bike I would definitely opt for the Sight.

Where are you located? What are your trails like? I'm going to a demo tomorrow and am might get on the Bronson. I'm really going to be there for the solo but if there isn't too long a wait I'll give it a shot.

#7 ·
Both pedaled well but I would give a slight edge to the sight. It was a fantastic climber. Obviously Bronson an edge on the way down.

For what I ride if I was going to get one bike I would definitely opt for the Sight.

Where are you located? What are your trails like? I'm going to a demo tomorrow and am might get on the Bronson. I'm really going to be there for the solo but if there isn't too long a wait I'll give it a shot.
I'm headed to the same demo, plan to ride 5010 and Bronson but mainly to see if I want to switch to 27.5 in general. Been waiting for this demo ever since these bikes were released, really stoked to see if they live up to the hype.

#11 ·
The OP didn't say anything about lift served stuff, but he did say "big rides in the high country and an enduro or two" so I would lean towards the Sight (rather than then Range) in the Norco line. Between the Bronson and Sight.... that's tough. Both good bikes and if you get a better deal on the Norco that would sway me. Plus, if you're undecided between 5010 and Bronson (which I would be given your stated ride requirements) the Sight seems to fit nicely in between those two.

Like someone else said, the Altitude would be a nice option as well in the same price range as the Norco plus it has adjustable geometry. Just picked one up for my wife.

The 150 Pike would be a nice upgrade, although I was quite impressed with the 2014 Fox 34s this year too.

#12 ·
I just brought home my brand spankiin' new 2014 medium Norco Sight from LBS 2 hours ago. Custom built specs on black ALUMINUM frame. It is gorgeous. 25lbs 12oz sans pedals.

I demoed several rides (no bronson) and the Sight had the highest fun factor. Some bikes pedaled better, some bikes climbed better, but the Sight seduced me.

#15 ·
I was able to both the Solo and the Bronson today. I can tell you I was pretty surprised at how well the Bronson pedaled. It was the carbon version with ENVE wheels, so there were so many variables to really compare it to most of the other bikes I have been riden.

I loved the Solo as well but I did take it on a longer run and was warmed up at that point so that could have been a factor. Obviously the Bronson was amazing on the downhills, however I thought the Solo held it's own as well.

Both amazing bikes and I really thought the VPP suspension lived up to the hype.

I can tell you will NOT be disappointed with the Bronson an extremely capable and fun bike to ride. Depending on the deal though, you may want to go with the Sight as that is a great bike as well.

Almost everyone at the demo was loving the Bronson.

#19 ·
in my opinion I would say the sight ,, im 6'6 now 341lbs and ride the piss out of my sight , it takes everything I throw at it!!!!!!!!! so of course I would suggest the sight , in all fairness I did have to do some upgrades to handle me the main was the rear shock , went to coil van rc instead of air ,,,upgraged chain cause I snapped it ,,also I have not ridden the Bronson. Norco sight killer b (b-3model) is a real contender and not to be slept on

#24 ·
I have not ridden either (but I will demo the Bronson this coming Saturday), but one specific question...what time of terrain do you ride, or what is more important? The reason I ask is because each suspension design will give you something different. The VPP will pedal well and eat up terrain like nobody's business, but the Norco might pedal a bit better. Look at the geometries, and see which might suit you better.

#25 ·
posting my experiences......
demo'd a bronson on my trails - pedaled very well, and was a rock muncher. So much fun, but seemed like a bit more bike than I wanted.

demo'd a sight - geometry of the sight is incredible - hip steered through everything and long front end was very confidence inspiring, but thought it didn't climb as well as the bronson.

demo'd a solo - wow. bought a frame, and then put my 36 on the front (lowered to 140). It climbs better than the sight, downhills, just as well, and I personally think is more "fun" to ride than the bronson with the lower BB. If I was on super rocky trails all the time, I'd go for bronson for the higher BB. (FYI - I had a 26in TRc previously and I was surprised how much more I like the solo - almost as fun to throw around as the TRc, but more stable at speed)

all of these are exceptionally fun bikes! - just depends what matches up with your local terrain and riding style. demo them!

#26 ·
Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel Bicycle fork
I was facing a similar decision and though I can't say I've ridden the Bronson, I absolutely love the Sight. It currently has a 160mm fork on it which feels fine but I'm planning on dropping it to 150mm. Though I've never tried it I don't think a 32mm stantion fork with 140mm of travel could keep up with what the rear suspension is capable of. The rearward axle path makes it seriously plush and it's stiff as hell.

I couldn't demo either bike so I had to go off of numbers and reviews. The Norco has a longer TT shorter chainstays, and a lower BB. It isn't the lightest frame but I can't recommend it enough.

#28 ·
i think FSR/horst link in long travel application pedals like poo. they rely too much on a "platform" to minimize bobbing. VPP will give you the efficiency you want while being supple on the downs.

If cost is equal, Bronson wins hands down.
Totally agree when it came to my 07 Stumpjumper. It needed the propedal lever badly in uphill situations. Disagree when it comes to the sight, very efficient pedaler and I never engage "climb" on my CTD unless I'm on a long fire road.

#31 ·
Have you ridden a Bronson??? I sure have and can tell you they changed pivot points and the square-edge thing is just not an issue like it has been on some of SC's previous designs. It's the best VPP design by far and I've ridden/owned nearly every iteration.

Have FUN!

G MAN

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.