Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Bronson or Rocky Mountain altitude 750msl

Hi, I am going to be purchasing a new bike, I haven't had chance to demo a Bronson , so any feedback on which bike you would choose between altitude 750msl and Bronson c

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Both are incredible bikes. I suggest you ride them both ASAP...
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Both nice, only Bronson I've ridden was a demo Carbon with enve wheels ($10k), whereas the RM was a carbon 770 or something that had been demo'd hard and put away wet ($5k?). The RM was a better bike IMO.

That being said, questions linger for me about RM's o-ring/seal/bushing set up. Frankly I'm too lazy to check my O-rings for dry-rot / wear every month or so. So, I'm looking at the new '14 Kona Process vs '14 Trance more seriously.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    I agree, the Rocky has the edge, for that nearly bottomless, plush rear end.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Rocky all the way.
    I have the 730 and ride it 4-6 times a week for more than 6 hours(off and on) a day. I haven't had any noises or anything from it and haven't checked the O-rings / pivots yet.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Bronson or Rocky Mountain altitude 750msl

I demoed the RM 750 and the Bronson C. Both are good bikes, but the Altitude and I just got along much better. To me, the Altitude had better small bump compliance but enough ramp up at the end of stroke that it felt really good on the big hits too. The Bronson, I felt, ramped up a little too quick and it didn't feel like it carved the tight turns as well. Plus, with the adjustable geometry of the Altitude, you can really dial in how the bike feels. It does make a big difference.

mtbr member
    I demoed the 750MSL a couple weeks ago, and unfortunately for RM, first impressions are important to me, and many I think. It may not be them but the fault of the LBS, but my first thought was "man this bike is noisy" as it creaked like an old rocking chair.
    I don't know if it was their ABC bushing system or something else, but creak sounds were coming from multiple locations, not just the seatpost area as I hear is common.
    The cockpit also felt a little cramped, so that I had to move the seat back 3/4" to create a little more knee room. (I'm 5' 8.5" on a medium). The last gripe was the RaceFace cranks kept snagging on my Dominator shoes whenever I had to maneuver suddenly.
    Overall handling and climbing were superb, but I couldn't get over the creaking.

As I was riding my new Bronson C SPXAM last night I was thinking "man this bike is quiet..."
    The Bronson just felt right to me, and as soon as I ditch the Maxxis monster truck tires in favor of the Nobby Nic's that come on the Altitude, I think it will be pretty much dialed for me.
    I am only an intermediate rider, and currently spend about 75% XC and 25% AM riding, so either bike is far more capable than I am, but it's another opinion for you to consider anyway.

Cheers, and good luck.

mtbr member
    Bronson or Rocky Mountain altitude 750msl-altitude-3.jpgNot a 750 but a 730 with mods. As a side note, my bike is quiet as can be. No squeaks here to speak of. The ride is very smooth, handles well and fit my price point. Hope this helps you.
    2013 Rocky Mountain Vertex 990 RSL
    2013 Rocky Mountain Altitude 730
    2013 Pipedream Sirius R853 - 650b

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I went Carbon Bronson

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by harradm View Post
    I went Carbon Bronson
    Very nice. Carbon is a bit much for me $$$

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    After having such good reliability for thousands of miles w/ my Nomad and Turner bikes thanks to the zerk fitting greasable pivots, I was heavily leaning toward getting the Bronson C. After riding all the 275's I could at Sea Otter, I bought the Bronson frame.

I couldn't ride the Altitude, however. Generally I am not a fan of Scott or RM bikes that need a remote-activated platform or lockout on the shock...I've been spoiled by DW link bikes that climb well w/o LSC or platform damping fixes. The Bronson's version of VP2 emphasizes pedaling efficiency more than, say, the Nomad, and I tend to leave the shock in descend mode most of the time.
    Originally posted by bucksaw87
    I still fail to see how mustaches, fixies, and PBR are ironic.

mtbr member
    Earlier this season I was considering an Altitude, until I read about the bushing problems, the constant maintenance, and the problems people were having sourcing replacement bushings. Maybe they run fine for most people but I'm not taking a $4K gamble on it.

I'm very happy with my Bronson Carbon
    I have a black belt in MS Paint.

2013 Santa Cruz Bronson Carbon
    2013 StumpJumper FSR Comp Carbon 29er

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Could not be happier with my carbon Altitude. Quiet as a churchmouse, 6 months in. Ridden all over, in all kinds of terrain. The thing is so versatile (especially with a TALAS up front, it's a quiver in a quiver. Super happy.
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    I've been riding my Altitude 730 for over 2 months now at about 30 hours a week, XC and DH. The only creaky thing with it is the rider (old joints), otherwise the same, quiet as a churchmouse..

mtbr member
    ^^^^^This.

I believe the creaking legend is a result of a lot of mis-information about this bike and brand. Sure they may have been instances of noise, but I don't think it's a "problem" per se.

Most people that buy this level of bike, have some common mechanical skills. As such, most are able to maintain their bikes in a manner that will prevent any problems. The same holds true for any brand or model of car that is purchased. Some people have problems, while others do not. Some people take preventative care measures while others do not.

I think a lot of the issues stem from the owners - not the bike model or brand.

Thanks,
    now I'm going to go ride my RM and enjoy every minute of it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I have a Rm 930 Element with the same smooth link system and I have not looked at the pivots in the entire year I have had it. Never a creak. The concern some mention here is non existent with any of my buddies Rm bikes as well.

Overblown. It's awesome.

I demo'ed the 2013 Altitude and Instinct. The Altitude is one fun bike. Unbelievable on technical climbs with rocks, roots and ledges, and down hills are smooth and under great control. A bit slow on the XC stuff but after i locked out the back shock it took off like my Element. Looking to get a full carbon version before December.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Get the Bronson. I've ridden and raced a couple enduros on the altitude and it is a fun bike, but within about a month of riding it, the bike was creakier than my overweight mom's rocking chair. This is riding in fairly dry weather with just a little bit of mud.

The bike geo and ride 9 is great. The bushing design, while stiffer (not really noticeably to me while riding) just isn't awesome unless you want to replace them and/or check them fairly frequently.

I know the Altitude is rad, but if you're looking for a bike to have for a while. Go with the Bronson no questions.

I had the choice to get a 750MSL or aluminum Bronson. Got the Bronson. Plus Santa Cruz is seriously an awesome company to work with. After a couple experiences with Rocky, they are not very high on my list.
    Check out my riding blog:

http://onetrailatatime.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Another question

Quote Originally Posted by ggilings View Post
    Get the Bronson. I've ridden and raced a couple enduros on the altitude and it is a fun bike, but within about a month of riding it, the bike was creakier than my overweight mom's rocking chair. This is riding in fairly dry weather with just a little bit of mud.

The bike geo and ride 9 is great. The bushing design, while stiffer (not really noticeably to me while riding) just isn't awesome unless you want to replace them and/or check them fairly frequently.

I know the Altitude is rad, but if you're looking for a bike to have for a while. Go with the Bronson no questions.

I had the choice to get a 750MSL or aluminum Bronson. Got the Bronson. Plus Santa Cruz is seriously an awesome company to work with. After a couple experiences with Rocky, they are not very high on my list.
    I have not priced out the bronson. Looks like a great bike, but I continue to read how many prefer the ride and geometry of the Altitude. Since you looked a both, what is the price difference between comparable models? Not MSRP, I am talking about what it takes to walk away paying after negotiating? Just wondering.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I chose my Bronson after I was able to ride a buddy's Bronson for a week and rode it on all the trails I ride my current 29er on. It felt great and it did everything I wanted it to do. I didn't try any other 27.5 as I already found what fit my needs. Some feel they have to ride 20 different bikes several times to decide. Good for them but that's not me.

To price a Bronson, simply go to their website. All kit prices are on there.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by RIDEATX View Post
    I have not priced out the bronson. Looks like a great bike, but I continue to read how many prefer the ride and geometry of the Altitude. Since you looked a both, what is the price difference between comparable models? Not MSRP, I am talking about what it takes to walk away paying after negotiating? Just wondering.
    I’m probably not the best person to ask as I actually work at a place that sells Rocky and I only bought the Aluminum Bronson frame instead of complete bike…

Take a look at the prices on Santa Cruz’s and Rocky’s website. Depending on the relationship you have with the shop, they might be able to throw a few things in if you’re dropping some cash on a bike, but unless you’re looking at some closeout models or something those prices will probably be fairly close. The place I work put’s their rocky bikes up at suggested retail and won’t budge too much unless they have had it in stock for the summer.. but they will throw some discounts on things in with the bike when they buy it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ggilings View Post
    I’m probably not the best person to ask as I actually work at a place that sells Rocky and I only bought the Aluminum Bronson frame instead of complete bike…

Take a look at the prices on Santa Cruz’s and Rocky’s website. Depending on the relationship you have with the shop, they might be able to throw a few things in if you’re dropping some cash on a bike, but unless you’re looking at some closeout models or something those prices will probably be fairly close. The place I work put’s their rocky bikes up at suggested retail and won’t budge too much unless they have had it in stock for the summer.. but they will throw some discounts on things in with the bike when they buy it.
    Sounds good. I noticed that some dealers work with you more on other models. My guy here in Austin is aggressive to move Rocky's bc he is the only one here in the market and looking to get the word out locally. THere are a few Santa Cruz dealers here but they dont have any Bronsons to demo.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    ^^Yeah and Rocky does make good bikes. You will be super happy with either. I just preferred the Bronson and it is a bike I'm going to keep for a long long time.

Good Luck!

mtbr member
    Very happy with my Bronson, the Altitude never felt quite right to me. Only had a small test ride in a parking lot. I am the type that can tell right away if a bike is right for me. As soon as I got on the Altitude something was out of wack. The medium just felt too small, the medium Bronson feels just right. Also with the Bronson you are gettting a full carbon frame, no aluminum rear triangle. Plus I dont think I could live with the grey Altitude, unless they changed the colors for 2014.

For bang for your buck the RM A 730 is hard to beat, RS suspension (no craptastic CTD BS), Sram (personal choice, but I would take Sram anyday over Shimano) and the color is right on! The chip 9 thingy is cool though. Hope to see more of adjustability like this in the future.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    One of the things that struck me about the Altitude was the technical climbing ability. I have a tricked out Element 930 and it climbs very good but the Altitude was much better steep climbs with rock ledges, roots and drops. I actually went back over some of those sections over an over again and could not believe how little effort it took over those sections.

mtbr member
    Currently trying to answer this same question. Can't get an Altitude demo in my size, but I have owned an Element for 2 seasons before. Checking out a Bronson demo this weekend. I suspect I can get a better deal on the RM & it's a better spec for the price regardless. I'm still a little unsure I NEED 6" of travel, I'll hopefully answer that question this weekend.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast