Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Bronson question

Ok. So I'm another person trying to decide which 27.5 carbon bike to get. I've ridden the Altitude(twice), the Bronson(twice), and the HDR. Man, its a tough call. I'm currently on an Ibis SL with 27.5 wheels. My question is, why do so many people put the Bronson in such a "burley, almost downhill" bike category? I know is capable and all but it only weighs 5.3lbs. My Ibis SL frame, which I think most people would consider it a cross country-ish/all mountain bike, actually weighs more than the Bronson. It's about .75 pounds lighter than the HDR. So, my plan would be build it up lighter that what the kits are on the SC website. I would have bought one already if they sold it as a frame only. Annoying! Is anyone else building their Bronson lighter than the kits?

BTW. I rode the Bronson yesterday and have to say it climbed great and just pedaled great. I thought I'd be a little down on VPP vs the DWL I'm used to but wow, I was pleasantly surprised how great the suspension felt. I think the HDR felt amazing as well but the extra .75 lb and 130mm in the back is a mental challenge that I have with the Ibis. The Rocky felt great too. But sounds like its hard to get one right now. My ideal build on the Bronson. XX1 or XX-0. Pike shock. XT brakes. And put my Stan's wheels with Hope Pro 2 hubs on. And some way lighter tires than the high roller 2's. But right now seems like a hassle with converting a kit from SC to this. Thoughts??

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Hackdan10 View Post
    Is anyone else building their Bronson lighter than the kits?
    Yes—my LBS is dealing with all the take-offs for me since they have a well-established take-off room, and because they love to give great service.

I'm going with a 32mm fork. Partly because I own it already and partly because I want to do what you're contemplating. My local trails/riding are very much up and down, so I'm looking to build the bike accordingly. Initially I'll have Flows on it but will upgrade to Enve when the time is right. Haven't decided on AM vs XC, but will prolly give up 100g to get that killer stiffness.

I'm sure some would question this m.o., but I'm not building a gravity bike, more like a do-all. Similarly, I put Enve AM hoops on my 429c to put it a bit further in the trail category. With incredible results, IMO.

Thanks for sharing your Bronson experience. Have fun with the process

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Ok. So I'm another person trying to decide which 27.5 carbon bike to get. I've ridden the Altitude(twice), the Bronson(twice), and the HDR. Man, its a tough call. I'm currently on an Ibis SL with 27.5 wheels. My question is, why do so many people put the Bronson in such a "burley, almost downhill" bike category? I know is capable and all but it only weighs 5.3lbs. My Ibis SL frame, which I think most people would consider it a cross country-ish/all mountain bike, actually weighs more than the Bronson. It's about .75 pounds lighter than the HDR. So, my plan would be build it up lighter that what the kits are on the SC website. I would have bought one already if they sold it as a frame only. Annoying! Is anyone else building their Bronson lighter than the kits?

BTW. I rode the Bronson yesterday and have to say it climbed great and just pedaled great. I thought I'd be a little down on VPP vs the DWL I'm used to but wow, I was pleasantly surprised how great the suspension felt. I think the HDR felt amazing as well but the extra .75 lb and 130mm in the back is a mental challenge that I have with the Ibis. The Rocky felt great too. But sounds like its hard to get one right now. My ideal build on the Bronson. XX1 or XX-0. Pike shock. XT brakes. And put my Stan's wheels with Hope Pro 2 hubs on. And some way lighter tires than the high roller 2's. But right now seems like a hassle with converting a kit from SC to this. Thoughts??
    I've asked this from several people, since I'm thinking of going the opposite way, SC VPP to Ibis HDR. Can you elaborate on what you feel are the differences in the two?
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by She&I View Post
    Haven't decided on AM vs XC, but will prolly give up 100g to get that killer stiffness.
    get the AMs, you will be able to run wider tires... It's not about the stiffens, they are supposed to be equally strong, as I was told by Enve representative. You should decide based on what kind of tires are you planning to use.

mtbr member
    I guess my question would be, why not get a Solo? I think the Bronson is thought of as burly because it is pretty burly. It's built to take a licking, and it's got 6" of travel out back. Yes it's light and yes it pedals well, but you wouldn't confuse it for an XC bike. You can build it as light as you want, but it'll still be capable of big drops and ripping downhills, and it still won't be as nimble on climbs and tight single track as a bike with a steeper HT and lower BB. And putting "way lighter tires" on it would degrade its performance IMHO. I have a Hans Dampf/Nobby Nic front/rear on mine, and I probably wouldn't go much lighter than that for what the bike is capable of. Putting ultralight tires on this bike is like putting high heels on LeBron James. He'd still be pretty good, but not as nearly as good as he COULD be....

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    So wait - you got to ride the HDR already? how was it specced out?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    I've asked this from several people, since I'm thinking of going the opposite way, SC VPP to Ibis HDR. Can you elaborate on what you feel are the differences in the two?
    So I rode the Bronson twice for a while. And the HDR once on a decent rocky climb and back down at an Ibis demo. Both felt great. I guess my opinion is that I just assumed there would be a noticeable difference in superior suspension for the DWL. That's just on me. But the HDR seemed to feel the terrain more. Which some people would prefer. And the Bronson felt smoother on everything. Like you didn't feel the small rocks and bumps as much. Maybe I'm just ready for a different feel. But the Bronson still handled awesome on the climb too. No bob. No mushy feel. Switchbacks were easier than on my Mojo SL. So I guess I was surprised how well the Bronson felt all around. My SL has 150mm fork and 140mm rear. I switched back to 26 in the mean time because I don't like the loss of travel in the rear. And it felt harsh too. I think I've learned that it's the bike as a whole. Not specific little things like .25" difference in BB height or 1 degree different HT angle. It's the whole package. All 3 bikes are sweet. I think if I pull the trigger its the Bronson.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by baltik View Post
    So wait - you got to ride the HDR already? how was it specced out?
    XT 2 x10. 27.5 wheels. 140mm 34 fox fork. 130mm rear travel.

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    My question is, why do so many people put the Bronson in such a "burley, almost downhill" bike category?
    It's definitely the way SC is positioning the bike in their lineup; but I think if you like the way it feels and it fits your riding style, then you should go for it. Either do frame only or buy it locally. A good LBS should be willing to sell you a full bike, but work with you to kit it out the way you want. Mine did...

However, I will say that I've been very pleasantly surprised at how capable my bronson has been a heavy-duty AM bike, especially coming from my overbuilt (marz 66 coil + dhx coil) gen1 nomad. I expected that I'd have to tone it down quite a bit, but it has handled the gnar, drops and jumps without breaking a sweat. And climbs a lot better than my old nomad.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewBird View Post
    I guess my question would be, why not get a Solo? I think the Bronson is thought of as burly because it is pretty burly. It's built to take a licking, and it's got 6" of travel out back. Yes it's light and yes it pedals well, but you wouldn't confuse it for an XC bike. You can build it as light as you want, but it'll still be capable of big drops and ripping downhills, and it still won't be as nimble on climbs and tight single track as a bike with a steeper HT and lower BB. And putting "way lighter tires" on it would degrade its performance IMHO. I have a Hans Dampf/Nobby Nic front/rear on mine, and I probably wouldn't go much lighter than that for what the bike is capable of. Putting ultralight tires on this bike is like putting high heels on LeBron James. He'd still be pretty good, but not as nearly as good as he COULD be....
    You're right. I am saying that the Bronson is a bad ass burley bike too that could probably be a downhill bike. But it definitely was a great climber too. I would rather have the Bronson over the solo since my ibis is 150mm fork and 140 rear. I want to stay there at least but want a burlier bike with slightly slacker and longer wheelbase. I just meant that I was surprised how well it climbed. And I misspoke. I don't want crazy light tires. Just lighter and better rolling. So the tires you mention are perfect. I think the whole package for this bike design is great. It handles awesome. Rocks downhill and climbed way better than I thought. And it will be lighter than my ibis. Crazy. Now SC needs to "let us" by this bike as a frame only! Funny you can buy the new tallboy 2 as a frame only but not the Bronson.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Hi, I have spend the last month or so reading so much about this bike. I am planning to pull the trigger on the bronson carbon SPX am xt components complete bike very soon(maybe today!). I was wondering what is the current owners of this bike is paying for them.

mtbr member
    I got a Bronson C with SPX kit (including Reverb Stealth and MRP bash) for $5700 from Competitive Cyclist.

A month later, I took a digger in a rock garden and cracked the seat stay. I got in touch with CompCyclist and told them I have an Enduro race coming up. Santa Cruz told them it'd be several weeks before rear triangles are available for crash replacement, so CompCyclist pulled one off a demo bike and 2nd-day'd it to me. I'm back on my bike one week after the initial call. Fantastic customer service, and a return policy that can't be beat. Just my plug for getting a bike from CompCyclist.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Thank you for reply drew bird, how much extra is the reverb stealth and the mrp bash cost?

mtbr member
    They're included with the SPX kit.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Drewbird, I just gave $1000 deposit on a Bronson c spx am with talas fork an hour ago. I am getting at a lbs for $ 5270 including tax. It will be here in 1-2wks. I am going crazy with mountain bike right. I eat, sleep, and breath mountain bike. This is a second bike that I buy in three months and I just started riding 3-4 months ago! I hope the wife doesn't found out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I got mine build with XTR, I9 wheels, Easton bars & stem for $6500. The only thing not XTR is the brakes. I have Avid Elixir 9 CF. I bought some of the parts from Price Point, Jenson and my LBS. It weights 27.6 pounds and I can lower the weight (3/4 lbs) by changing from Maxxis High Rollers to Schwalbe's Hans Dampf but for now I will wait until the High Rollers wear out. I put mine together. Here's a couple of pictures, if there's anything I can help you send me a PM.

Bronson question-img_0546.jpgBronson question-img_0559.jpgBronson question-img_0566.jpgBronson question-img_0570.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by gamalierlozada View Post
    I got mine build with XTR, I9 wheels, Easton bars & stem for $6500. The only thing not XTR is the brakes. I have Avid Elixir 9 CF. I bought some of the parts from Price Point, Jenson and my LBS. It weights 27.6 pounds and I can lower the weight (3/4 lbs) by changing from Maxxis High Rollers to Schwalbe's Hans Dampf but for now I will wait until the High Rollers wear out. I put mine together. Here's a couple of pictures, if there's anything I can help you send me a PM.
    How did you get a frame only?
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    My dealer bought a complete bike strip it, sold me the frame and shocks and used the parts to assemble another bike to sell it. That's what I call customer service!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    What is the size? Mine is M and its app 30 pounds (12.9 kg). I'm seriously thinking about changing bars and stem to carbon ones, and saddle to lighter option (SELLE ITALIA SLR KIT Carbonio for instance). Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Mine is large and it used to weight 28.79 pounds with a 2x10 XTR set up and High Roller tires. Now is 27.7 with a 1x10 drivetrain.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bronson question-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Hackdan, really good questions. Sounds like the Bronson climbs great. How about nimbleness/flick ability? That's what I worry about when people talk about how burly the Bronson is. Obviously the Solo would be more nimble, but these descriptions of the Bronson make me wonder by how much. How does it compare in this regard to the Mojo SL? The extra burliness of the Bronson sounds great, but not if handles like a freight train like some 29er trail bikes I've tried.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    For all mountain and trail riding the Bronson is great choice. It can be built light, has plenty of clearance and tracks and corners like few bikes. Is a great jack of all trades. For cross country ridding it will be too much bike.

mtbr member
    The Bronson is very flickable and playful. I was more surprised by its nimbleness than any noticeable difference of the 27.5" wheels.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmallory View Post
    The Bronson is very flickable and playful. I was more surprised by its nimbleness than any noticeable difference of the 27.5" wheels.
    That was my experience as well. I was sure it would be a good climber but was blown away by how flickable it was in the air with no sense of big wheel clumsiness that you find with 29'rs. It was just flat out the most fun bike I've ridden and I had no intentions of moving to 650b but I'm getting one!

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    jmallory ,Gman- thanks for the responses. I guess I need to go out and demo one quick!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast