No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005

Bronson follow-up review

So, I've had my Bronson about three weeks now. Unless I can score a cheap XX1 setup, I'm pretty well done with the setup. Here's my initial post:

http://forums.mtbr.com/650b-27-5/650...nt-859190.html

And here's how the bike sits today.

Bronson follow-up review-image.jpg

With the changes from stock, the bike has a real-world as-shown weight just under 30 pounds. Since purchase, I haven't ridden any of my other bikes. And the super-built Titus El Guapo that the Bronson was purchased to "accompany" has been sold.

Take that for what it's worth.

Santa Cruz's marketing of the Bronson is spot on. This is a much bigger-hit bike than you might imagine. Again, I'm 6'2 and 190 before gear; I ride harsh Arizona terrain.

I'll start with my knocks. The biggest is overall weight. If this thing was a couple pounds lighter, it would be the best trail/AM bike I've personally owned (and, honestly, I've owned A LOT of bikes). The stock RAM27 build is not great for the list price. And I'm still not a fan of Fox forks. As an aside if you're riding a new Float 34, pull off the lowers and check the bath oil. Mine was roughly 20ml low total and some Slick Honey love on the seals made it ride nicer.

That's about it. As built, this rig is the real deal. Good technical climber and even better with my recently discovered Trail setting on the shock. It absolutely shreds rough technical descents. The angles are dead-on perfect for my needs.

The frame itself is solid, quiet and flex-free. Handling is intuitive; I've found the bike just does what I want it to with no drama.

Happy to provide further input or answer specifics I might have missed.

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    Wow! I was wondering how you were doing with the Bronson. That is high praise after all the bikes that you have owned and ridden. I wonder if the Carbon frame would help. A bit unnerving here in Phoenix with all the rocks though.

Bob

usually cranky
    to be fair to the bronson the frame is in the ballpark, even on the lighter side for an aluminum 6'' frame.

mtbr member
    Very cool. .

How are the ex arches holding up, and is that rocker aluminum?

And the rear tire clearance.. have same room as that fork?

Thanks Blatant, thing sounds bad. Wonder if it will replace their nomad

Just Ride

Bronson follow-up review

I have been on mine since June 6 th, mine comes in at 27.5 lbs with pedals, although I did swap out the heavy tires, this bike really is a great performer and I have set some of my own personal top times on my local climbs. Pointed down hill it simply rips, SC really nailed it with this bike, and I came off my TRc for this, and that bike really is a great ride!Bronson follow-up review-imageuploadedbytapatalk1372617768.622886.jpg

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    The Arches have seen a significant amount of abuse and are still true. If the question is about the suspension links, they're aluminum. Rear tire clearance is great.

mtbr member
    Thats a nice looking bike Blatant! I'm waiting on my BronsonC...late July delivery is what the LBS is saying I love the grey color but I really wanted carbon, so mine will be tennis yellow.

Kingshredd...you're not around 5'6" 150ish are you? I rode the BronsonC small XTR build at a demo day and I was sold. It was so much fun to ride, easier to flick around, basically loved it. Only downside was it felt like more work to climb than the SJ 29er I'm riding now. SC's size chart says I'm on the small end of a medium frame. It was the end of the demo day so I didn't get to try the medium but I'm wondering if that really would have been a better fit. I know the ride is more important than the numbers; I rode the small, loved it, ordered one.

FWIW, the TT on the Bronson small is 20mm shorter, reach is 25mm shorter, and wheelbase is 10mm shorter than the SJ small I'm riding now. The Bronson medium is much closer in size to the SJ small, wheelbase is about 20mm longer.

This is also just my first season, 3rd bike. And yes, in hindsight I should have figured the sizing thing out 100% before I placed the order...n00b mistakes.
    I have a black belt in MS Paint.

2013 Santa Cruz Bronson Carbon
    2013 StumpJumper FSR Comp Carbon 29er

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    If you're looking for a more budget friendly 1x11 set-up, how about the upcoming Sram XO1 grouppo? BTW, the Bronson's all look awesome! Kind of sucks I bought a Orange Gyro Pro before the Bronson was released.

www.derbyrims.com
    You could make it the "best trail/AM bike" you've ever own easy, although very expensive. Carbon rims could drop one of those two lbs. And rim and tire weight feels double any other weight while riding.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    The Bronson C is high on my list for sure.
    I am about to pull the trigger on a new IBIS HDR 650b built with the 147mm rear shock and 150mm front fork. Currently owning a Mojo, it should feel at home a bit more with the DwLink than the Bronson, but I ahve to admit, I am still on the fence a little bit....... H'mm

mtbr member
    kingshredd, what pedals you using and what tires did you change to? Is it the XT or XTR build? Mine is the XT build and mine weighs in at 30.02 lbs with the HRII 2.4 (tubeless) and Shimano XT M785 pedals...
    Stumpy FSR Comp 29er
    SC Bronson C

mtbr member

Bronson follow-up review

Jgutz71 XX1 AM build from the looks of the pics. Kingshredd How you like the NN in the rear? Waiting for mine as well

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dcpowpow View Post
    The Bronson C is high on my list for sure.
    I am about to pull the trigger on a new IBIS HDR 650b built with the 147mm rear shock and 150mm front fork. Currently owning a Mojo, it should feel at home a bit more with the DwLink than the Bronson, but I ahve to admit, I am still on the fence a little bit....... H'mm
    But for $268, you can upgrade the HDR to the DBAir
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass
    12 TallboyC Frame for Sale-Large

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by derby View Post
    You could make it the "best trail/AM bike" you've ever own easy, although very expensive. Carbon rims could drop one of those two lbs. And rim and tire weight feels double any other weight while riding.
    Already had a custom Arch EX/Project 321 wheelset built by speed dream. I don't trust carbon wheels in my environment and they wouldn't knock a pound off. I think I'm at the best reasonable weight I can hope for given my style and location.

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    Already had a custom Arch EX/Project 321 wheelset built by speed dream. I don't trust carbon wheels in my environment and they wouldn't knock a pound off. I think I'm at the best reasonable weight I can hope for given my style and location.
    Oh, yes skinny XC rims are as as light as an AM ENVE rim. 30mm rims would be the minimum width I prefer for using 150mm travel for tire stability. 35mm wide would be better.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    The rear is the only end I notice squirm. Once I went to a 2.25 Ardent, that went away.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Blatant is just got my enve/I9 wheels on my carbon bronson this week. I also ride south mountain and the wheels seem to be holding up great so far.

mtbr member
    Great news to hear the bike is performing well. I have Titus EG all dialed and made the mistake of demoing a Bronson C and was hooked. Ordered my frame a couple of weeks ago(Tennis Yellow) in a size medium (5'6" 160lbs 28" inseam). The longer top tube fits me well on the medium. Doing my own X0 build.

I'm of the same mindset a lot of riders seem to share. This bike would be killer no matter what wheel size. I didn't notice a huge difference in rollover over the 26" I've been riding with the same tires and similar wheel weights. Then again I'm running a 2009 suspension and the new Kashima coated floats are a huge leap ahead.

mtbr member
    I absolutely love my Bronson Alloy. First time riding Bearclaw Poppy in St. George, UT was a blast this weekend. Quick vid: