dwt
    mtbr member

Hope Boardman not on the 650b bandwagon

Roadie speed demon, Olympic medalist, bicycling legend and now bike manufatcturer, Chris Boardman not interested in the 3rd wheelsize:

» Interview: Chris Boardman on 650b, mountain bike design and Annie Last’s ride for the Olympic Games » Bike Magic

Other than DC and a few other 29'er zealots, can't see why anyone on MTBR would care what a roadie and hardtail racer thinks about something out of his wheelhouse. Sure hope his star woman racer has good fitment on the 29'er. Others do, but not all. Apparently Nino Schurter and the Scott Scale 650b are something they haven't heard or just don't care about.
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    With statements like:

I don’t know, particularly for [Boardman sponsored rider] Annie Last. When you look at the size of her, the wheels really have to scale with the person – but we don’t, we say it’s the same size for everyone regardless of whether they’re 5’2″ or 6’5″ and that just doesn’t work.

I put his opinion one notch above DC.
    I really don't care what he's accomplished on the road or track...though I do recall he crashed quite a bit.

Besides, you have a better chance of finding a group ride with all 650b bikes than you do of coming across one Boardman bike in the US.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Reading that article it doesn't sound like he is sold on 29ers either, at least for elite riders. The real question to ask anyone who is a 650b naysayer is whether they have actually ridden a 650b bike. The answer is almost always no, because like DC they are just looking at numbers on a piece of paper instead of riding them to see the benefits.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

Big Gulps, Alright!
    Apparently the "b" in 650b doesn't stand for "Boardman"

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkley View Post
    Apparently the "b" in 650b doesn't stand for "Boardman"
    No it stands for "Badass"! As in 650 wheel size is "Badass"!

Life Is Short
    Weird how people cannot like 650b? Its like a tax deduction, its like a buy one get one free, its like hey you just won a 25% off coupon, its like kids eat free, its like hey we're moving you up to business class for free, its like getting a free upgrade in las vegas, etc. Its something I wonder about. The only thing that sucks is the tire selection (sorry kirk, buts its true)

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by fatcat View Post
    The only thing that sucks is the tire selection (sorry kirk, buts its true)
    Not for long. It doesn't hurt me because I love Racing Ralphs and now they are offered Yeepee.

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by reformed roadie View Post
    With statements like:

I don’t know, particularly for [Boardman sponsored rider] Annie Last. When you look at the size of her, the wheels really have to scale with the person – but we don’t, we say it’s the same size for everyone regardless of whether they’re 5’2″ or 6’5″ and that just doesn’t work.

I put his opinion one notch above DC.
    I really don't care what he's accomplished on the road or track...though I do recall he crashed quite a bit.
    He contradicts himself. He says that 29'ers are the future of hardtails and are here to stay at the same time as saying the fitment does not work across the board for riders' heights. He then says that pros can race just as fast on 26'ers as on 29'ers. That AFAIK would be one male, Absalon, and no females. So even in the realm of hardtail race bikes he makes no sense. A third in between wheel size has nothing to do with "make up your mind" and everything to do with the optimum fit and feel on each bike for each rider.

Not to mention bikes with 5" and greater suspension which don't work well with 29".
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

derp
    That was exactly my first impression when i read the article, too much contradiction. Besides the "make uo your mind" thing just sounds ridiculous to me, by his perspective then we should only have Small and Large sized frames, no "make up your mind" Medium ?