try driving your car less

which blur to convert?

I have been reading through this forum with the search and I just am trying to figure out which model blur is the best candidate to put 650b wheels on?
    I would love a solo but used they are free and far between and bee are just a bit too much coin. Ideally I would buy a used blur and not have to need with shims on the shock. I might even throw a new group on it.
    Thanks!
    Only boring people get bored.

mtbr member
    how tall are you? this might be your lucky day...

The potential problem with the Solo/5010, riding on the East coast is the BB is so damn low, it is an issue with the roots and rocks.

I am 6 feet tall, so large frame.
    Right now I am riding a horst link turner 5 spot with a 650b front wheel. Rides well but just thinking about something new.
    how low is low?

Quote Originally Posted by reformed roadie View Post
    how tall are you? this might be your lucky day...

The potential problem with the Solo/5010, riding on the East coast is the BB is so damn low, it is an issue with the roots and rocks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I'm 6', ride a large 2012 Blur XCc, did not have to shim t h e shock and run a 26er Fox Float fork with 120mm travel. Not once have I had any clearance issues and like I've said many times regarding this bike...it's the best bike I've ever owned or ridden, almost as if this bike was meant for 27.5 wheels instead of the 26" wheels.

I guess the other thing that confuses me: LT is long travel, XC is short travel. Tr is trail? TrC is carbon trail? which of these models/years is best suited to conversion?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I have "THE" fork for it for sale on classifieds.
    2014 Fox Float Factory 26 120 ctd tapered.- This and a carbon blur and you would be all set.
    2014 Fox Float Factory 26 120 FIT CTD Tapered Steerer 15mm Thru Axle - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories

mtbr member
    Why not trade in your frame with turner and get a flux or burner ?

I can't swing a new frame, even with the trade in. I have to go used and there just are not a ton of used solo or flux out there.

Quote Originally Posted by wilks View Post
    Why not trade in your frame with turner and get a flux or burner ?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I have a Blur LT converted to 650B and I love it. The BB is a little high, but I live in Colorado so it's nice to not have to worry as much about pedal or BB strikes.

I haven't shimmed the front fork or the rear shock and there have been no issues (I have an Ardent EXO 2.25" in the rear, a beefy Vee Trail Taker 2.4" on the front with a Fox 26" fork). The only thing I've run into is minimal clearance when the trails are muddy but that doesn't happen around here very often. I love my Blur LT... I can't imagine spending more money on a new Bronson since I'm guessing the benefit or difference would be minimal.

Based on some other threads, I think the Blur TRc would make for an excellent conversion too. It depends on what type of bike you want. I have a Tallboy as well, so the Blur LT fits a more well-defined "role" for me. IMO the TRc would fit nicely between those two and make for a great all-around bike.

mtbr member
    My friend has a Blur LT and loves it. No shims just put them on and ride.
    09 Ventana El Bastardo 650b
    10 Banshee Viento

mtbr member

Re: which blur to convert?

I built up a 2013 blur xc carbon, turned out great. Its a 1x9 and has the 142 rear axle. Did not shim, my biggest concern during the build was trying to figure what size rear tire I could run. I went with Rocket Ron 2.2

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails which blur to convert?-uploadfromtaptalk1384954098518.jpg  

2011 Yeti Big Top
    2012 Santa Cruz Tallboy
    1991 Cannondale m700

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

which blur to convert?

I couldn't decide so, I converted a XCc and a TRc. Both are awesome, but different rides. I run Wolverine 2.2 front and back on my XCc, and had to shim. Also shimmed my TRc, with a Neo 2.1 on the back.

I am running a 100mm fork on the XCc and like the quick handling and great climbing. This bike just flat out flies! On the TRc, I run a 140mm fork. It is not as good a climber, but is very fun and is more bike than i will ever need. It is very much a "swiss army knife" type of bike. If I had to pick only one, it would be the TRc with a 130mm fork.