Thread: Blunt SL

Just a flesh wound

Blunt SL

I just bought a pair of Blunt SL 650b rims with 28 holes. I have a Prophet with a Lefty, so I know what front hub I'll use, but I am wondering what hub to use for the rear.

Lots of hubs come with 32 drillings, but not so many choices in 28 unless I decide to spend a fortune.

Is the SRAM X.9 rear hub any good.
    My name is Chris and I ride a Prophet 650b with a Lefty.

Uncle
    I hope you're a lightweight, XC kind of rider. Especially with the 650b Blunt SLs, you're setting up a pretty light but possibly weak wheel (depending on intended purpose, of course). Ball park guess would be a no-jump, no-drop limit of 130lbs perhaps.

If you're bent (pun intended) on going 28h, I recommend keeping an eye on Chainlove for this:
    WTB LaserDisc XC Rear Wheel - 28h
    $149 @ H&R, but on CL it's been $119 I believe. The LaserDisc Lite hub alone retails for close to twice that.
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

Just a flesh wound

Too light?

I was worried about that. I think I might send them back and get the 32 spoke version. I ride in New England with lots of roots and rocks. I have Nevegal 2.35 front and rear so I am not trying to be a weight weenie. My current setup is a 819 disc up front with 32 spokes and a Mavic Crossride in the back. I think it only has 24 spokes. That is why I figured 28 would be fine, but maybe I was wrong.

I weigh 165# and do 3' drops and jumps. I ride 3 or 4 times a week.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Remember that a larger wheel is going to be flexier and weaker. Most of the low spoke count 26" wheels need a heavier rim than ideal in order to keep things stiff and strong. Carbon rims can get away with low spoke count because they are stronger and stiffer than aluminum. But when using a lightweight aluminum rim, 32 spokes really is the minimum, unless you are really easy on your wheels.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

Just a flesh wound

Velocity says

Go for it! No issues. They feel the 28 is more than adequate so the build is started. Just need to choose a rear hub. Probably the Velocity hub though I am tempted by the low price of Origin-8.