Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: BLT2 650'd

mtbr member

BLT2 650'd

yep, it fits. I'll let TexHeckler or TNC give the specifics if they show up. My '07 Stumpy was very good with these on the front and back, but this LT2 is even better. Coil Pike is super plush. I only have 1 ride on it but I put the bike through it's full rear travel several times (though I didn't know it at the time) and had no clearance problems at all. Can't wait to get some more miles on it. Thanks Biketown for another great setup!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2010 SC Blur XCc

TNC
    noMAD man
    Yeah Britt, that thing turned out nice. I was impressed that it built out at 29lbs. with 650B both ends, a 454 Pike, and not a bunch of XC stuff. I took it for a spin by the shop, but how did it do out at Buck Creek? I was out there fairly late today, and by the looks of your shadow, you were too. Did you get any time on it? That bike feels very stout. I guess you heard I ordered up an '08 Stumpy FSR from the Spec closeout yesterday. Should be a nice alternative to my Nomad.

mtbr member
    Gary said that both you and he took it over your favorite curb there at work. I got in about 2/3 of BC this afternoon. It's hard to make a real technical analysis after only one ride, but my initial thoughts are that I'm really impressed. Small bump, big hit, and climbing were all amazing. Everything just felt right.

Congrats on the stumpy. It's never a bad thing to add another to the stable...

Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    Yeah Britt, that thing turned out nice. I was impressed that it built out at 29lbs. with 650B both ends, a 454 Pike, and not a bunch of XC stuff. I took it for a spin by the shop, but how did it do out at Buck Creek? I was out there fairly late today, and by the looks of your shadow, you were too. Did you get any time on it? That bike feels very stout. I guess you heard I ordered up an '08 Stumpy FSR from the Spec closeout yesterday. Should be a nice alternative to my Nomad.
    2010 SC Blur XCc

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5

Nice!

Nice rig Purs! I had a sneaking suspicion that a 650b wheel would fit in a BLT2. Can you take a few shots of the rear end to show what kind of tire clearance you've got?

Cheers,

KP
    “Those that say it can’t be done should get out of the way of those doing it.”

Pacenti Cycle Design

emtb.pl
    and how much space to the front der cable stop w\o air in that fox. I will do it as a first thing in spring if there's space there! Congrats purs! Tnc any chance to check the new nomad??

TNC
    noMAD man
    Kirk, there was a ton of room with the 650B in there...a ton. They've really opened up the stays back there...and I'll bet the new Nomad is similar. As krolik mentions, the potential contact point is the front derailleur cable stop and seat tube under max wheel/tire compression. In the real world, this may never happen. Purs stated he got what appeared to be his full 2.5" stroke without contact under riding conditions. Even when we got it to touch in the bike stand, it was a brush at the tip of the knobs. This is with a full Neo, of course. We're going to keep an eye on it.

krolik, I haven't gotten see a new Nomad in the flesh.

emtb.pl
    Heh, I have one more card to play - even if there's not enough space to the cable stop, I will be running a rohloff speedhub on the Nomad2 and I can shave the cable stop - it is useless anyway.
    This will make this frame very hard to sell but it'd work without issues. I run a CCDB which can be tuned not to bottom out that much but still I'd much prefer to be sure for stuff I do ocasionally:/
    One more question Purs: is this neo running tubeless on the 355 rim? if so/if not, what pressure?
    I will probably run sth more stout for a rear wheel than a 355 (although it proved impressively stout in the front) and I might run a tube because of lack of other tubeless options (and for added safety), so the volume will be smaller (which is a shame but may help with clearance). Stan, please make a flow 650B, pretty pretty please!!!
    The rear wheel will be extremely stiff because of the rohloff's high flanges and equal spoke lenghts/torques on both sides of the hub. Plus a 650b rim will allow a 3x pattern (rohloffs run a 4x on 26" because of spoke angles).
    I can't wait!

mtbr member
    tubeless around 35psi. I weigh 173.lbs or 78kg if my math is right.
    2010 SC Blur XCc

TNC
    noMAD man
    krolik it's tubeless, but I don't know the pressures he runs. The clearance on the seat tube and cable stop may not really end up being an issue here. While we could get it to buzz the stop with the shock schrader valve open, I don't think the shock actually ever gets to that point.

krolik, have you considered a Sun 650B? I'm calling them next week to check on this. The rim is more like the Blunt, and I'm thinking of getting one for the front of my Nomad. The ZTR355 Stans has been totally reliable and stout for the front, but I'd like to have the Neo footprint I had with the Blunt.

emtb.pl
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    krolik it's tubeless, but I don't know the pressures he runs. The clearance on the seat tube and cable stop may not really end up being an issue here. While we could get it to buzz the stop with the shock schrader valve open, I don't think the shock actually ever gets to that point.

krolik, have you considered a Sun 650B? I'm calling them next week to check on this. The rim is more like the Blunt, and I'm thinking of getting one for the front of my Nomad. The ZTR355 Stans has been totally reliable and stout for the front, but I'd like to have the Neo footprint I had with the Blunt.
    Thanks. I guess it might not be an issue indeed but I'd like to be tripple-sure - I have two kids. Although it is much better to have the rear wheel brought to a stand-still than the front one (), it is best to have both rolling freely
    I have absolutely NO info about this sun rims avialability anywhere near Poland. PM sent.

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by krolik
    I run a CCDB which can be tuned not to bottom out that much but still I'd much prefer to be sure for stuff I do ocasionally:/
    With coil it's easy to limit travel. I've done it. Make a spacer with a metal or wide plastic washer or two, cut into "c" shape, and put under the bump stop inside the coil. The cut washers can be held in place under the bump stop with electrical tape, or drill holes in the washer and zip-tie the washer gap closed.

Purs, That LT2 pictured above sure looks right with those 650b wheels! Great news!

emtb.pl
    Quote Originally Posted by derby
    With coil it's easy to limit travel.!
    True.
    I am a tad worried to loose my perfect ballance that I have with 27.5"Front and 26"Rear.
    29" in the front is a bigger risk though.

mtbr member
    OK, got to ride a little harder and faster today. On one of our segments there is about a 2.5' drop that I usually hit about 20mph. I did get a veryslight buzz upon landing. It was noticable enough to hear but I did not feel anything. It should be noted that I've never been accused of being particularly smooth or technically proficient when landing a jump or drop. I pretty much just bomb off and land hard, not very efficient but tons of fun. After the ride TNC and I took a closer look and and found that the buzz didn't come from the cable guide but from the cable itself. Hmmm. I'm not the least worried about it, but did want to mention it for those of you considering it. Pic to follow shortly.
    2010 SC Blur XCc

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Sweet, very interested to see pics of the Claerance at the Chainstay yoke as well, if you have the time

Thanks

Sail On!
    Definitely I second that request for pics of the chainstay and seatstay clearance. I was so happy with my BLT1 with 650B just up front but you got me thinkin'. While your at it can we get a BB height measurement?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thank you! I was hoping someone would convert an LT2. Okay.. Now I've heard all of the "goods" about 650B conversions. Assuming you can make both wheels fit, and control any rubbing or bottoming... What are the "bads"?

TNC
    noMAD man

A couple...

Quote Originally Posted by 177ark
    Thank you! I was hoping someone would convert an LT2. Okay.. Now I've heard all of the "goods" about 650B conversions. Assuming you can make both wheels fit, and control any rubbing or bottoming... What are the "bads"?
    These are probably short term issues but the first is tire choice. For the moment it's very limited. The NeoMoto is about as good a tire as I've ridden for light to aggressive trail, but overall tire choice and availability is obviously limited compared to 26"...but no shocker there, right?

Number two would be what you attach the tires to...rims and complete wheelsets. The few available are some very good ones, but choice is logically limited at this point.

Past that, the 650B wheel size is a perfect compromise size to get the tallest wheel/tire possible without having to totally redesign bike frames and suspension forks. No, they don't fit every fork or rear of every bike, but 650B fit enough good ones to have a quality 650B bike...and perhaps more in the future. There's really aren't many negatives. I have 4 MTB's. Two of them will take 650B front and rear...a Bullit and Stumpjumper FSR. I have a Nomad with 650B in a Nixon 160 fork that works great.
    Last edited by TNC; 01-19-2009 at 08:13 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks TNC..

Purs:
    By how many mm should the shock's stroke be reduced to prevent contact with the derailleur cable (how much earlier should the shock bottom out)?

mtbr member
    I'm riding with TNC today and will see if we can get a measurement and some pics. I will tell you that after at least 10 more laps around our 11 mile loop I've not had another contact of the tire and cable to speak of. I even knocked the travel o-ring off my shock yesterday and didn't rub or if it did I didn't hear or feel it...
    Last edited by Purs; 01-23-2009 at 05:33 AM.
    2010 SC Blur XCc

emtb.pl
    My long-time-ago ordered Nomad2 frame is delayed again till April:/
    I wonder if I can fit the neo there.

mtbr member
    just got back from a trail that is really really rough. All I can say about this LT2 with these 650's is WOW! No rubs at all. It handled everything that the trail and I could throw at it and never blinked. I didn't get many pics cause we were busy riding but here is one sequence.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2010 SC Blur XCc

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks Purs. Keep us updated. I'm waiting on a 650B wheelset myself. I'll post my results soon as well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Clearance pics, great news. Remember tire casing will expand so buzz may get a little louder, but no worries I would imagine. I forgot how much, but Kirk can tell you and it's on the forum somewhere how much expansion I got with ghetto tubless neos. I think a shade over 2mm, but on the sides and just a tiny amount center.
    I wonder if it is different with tubes.
    Anyway, great news on BLT2 !

TNC
    noMAD man
    Purs BLT2 even knocked the travel o-ring off the shock shaft...so...I'd say he got full travel. This ranch we rode at is a really rocky, gnarly place. His bike did great.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Is your RS Pike all factory (no mods for 650b)?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast