mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Blew a Neomoto off a ZTR 355 While Pumping

The ink on my ZTR's PSI sticker wore away, so I had no clue the max was 38 PSI. I was pumping the tire to 40 and just as I reached 40, BOOM! Blowout!!! Now my brand new Neo-Moto and ZTR rim are trash. Oh well. Lesson learned. 25-30 PSI might be the safe zone for this combo. Anyone else have this experience?

BTW.. Anyone know a good place to true wheels around L.A.?

TNC
    noMAD man
    Yeah, I've seen that 38 psi recommended max for a 650B, but isn't that just for the tire size. How did you damage the rim? The rim also says it will take 50 psi for a 1.0 tire, but I can't see how 40 psi would destroy the rim? Do you have a pic of the damage? The worst thing that can usually happen is that the tire just blows off the rim...with potential damage to the tire.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Before the blowout, the rim was perfectly true, now it has nasty wobble. I posted about it here: Stan's ZTR: Blew Tire Off Rim. Tire Still Good?
    One guy recommended I check for cracks. I haven't noticed anything. I'll peel back the rim tape and check.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Okay.. Just got back from the shop. No cracks, but the rim walls are bent outward a bit on either side of the weld. The tech straightened the wheels his best, but it's still a bit wobbly. Because of the bend, I won't risk running this rim tubeless. AND NOW... after your post about rolling a Neo-Moto off a ZTR, I might have to run tubes on the good rim too. Either that, or I can get life insurance!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I blew mine off the first time too. It was more of a delay than yours though. I pumped it up to about 50 psi I think and left it to sit in the corner while I played in the garage and then "BOOM." Lesson learned. After that I never went above 35. I haven't had a problem since in many months of use. I've even taken it off to clean out the some dried up sealant and was able to remount it with no problem. Are you using the rim strip or just the yellow tape? I'm using just the yellow tape, but apparently the rim strip will give you a tighter hold on the bead.

I'd be pretty bummed about not being able to go tubeless. I'd rather pay for a new rim, or maybe Stans can work with ya? I hate tubes.

1 ☼ ♥
    I'm sorry to hear that your rim is bent. I must be one lucky SOB because I blew the tires of the rims too. Front and rear. Luckily the rims and tires were both ok. I have about 250 XC miles on them and they seem to still be holding up.

I used to inflate my tubeless set up on UST specific rims to about 45-50 psi for the purpose of seating the bead and tried it with the 355's and the Neos and quickly realized that 32-35psi is more than enough.

I no longer inflate tires on UST specific rims past 35-40psi to seat the bead properly.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I'm not knocking the Neo's, but people need to know the dangers of over-inflating them when tubeless.

Here's another blown Neo-Moto:
    Heckler 650B Conversion
    This one's on a Velocity Blunt, and he had it pumped up to 45 PSI.

I guess the moral of the story is:
    25-30 PSI for safe tubeless on a Neo-Moto!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I have not seen a thread where anyone mentioned the rest of the application. Yellow rim strip, rubber rim strip or ghetto.
    I seem to recall someone doing it with a ghetto last year, but I really don't remember so there must not be allot of them.
    I don't think I would raise pressure up much passed what you are going to run on a regular basis no need in stretching casing and bead more than neccesary. (I like 22-24 psi.) Sure as heck would not run anywhere near 40 psi.
    Oh yea, on a light-weight rim like ztr, man I would replace it regardless of tube/notube, or as u said get good life insurance.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ghawk
    I have not seen a thread where anyone mentioned the rest of the application. Yellow rim strip, rubber rim strip or ghetto.
    I seem to recall someone doing it with a ghetto last year, but I really don't remember so there must not be allot of them.
    I don't think I would raise pressure up much passed what you are going to run on a regular basis no need in stretching casing and bead more than neccesary. (I like 22-24 psi.) Sure as heck would not run anywhere near 40 psi.
    Oh yea, on a light-weight rim like ztr, man I would replace it regardless of tube/notube, or as u said get good life insurance.
    I was using the Stan's yellow rim tape. As for the ZTR's, they seem too flimsy for rough trail riding. Maybe I'm wrong. When I ordered the wheels, I described my style of hard riding, and drops, and the wheel builder steered me away from the Blunts and toward the ZTR's. I think they were wrong and I'm considering changing out both rims for something stronger. Maybe I'll wait 3 years 650B UST's.

the train keeps rollin
    Quote Originally Posted by 177ark
    . Maybe I'll wait 3 years 650B UST's.
    I think you'll be waiting forever on this one.
    beaver hunt

TNC
    noMAD man

Yellow tape vs. strip

Quote Originally Posted by 177ark
    I was using the Stan's yellow rim tape. As for the ZTR's, they seem too flimsy for rough trail riding. Maybe I'm wrong. When I ordered the wheels, I described my style of hard riding, and drops, and the wheel builder steered me away from the Blunts and toward the ZTR's. I think they were wrong and I'm considering changing out both rims for something stronger. Maybe I'll wait 3 years 650B UST's.
    ark, the yellow tape for a 650B application isn't as strong an interface as an Olympic strip. I think 26'ers are having better luck with yellow tape, but again, I think fitment on the rim is better as I stated in another post. Texheckler was running yellow tape only on his Epic w/ZTRs, but he finally blew off a QuasiMoto this weekend. Yes, I think the ZTR is too light for more aggressive AM type riding. The Blunt is an excellent rim for its weight to strength...and width...ratio. Unfortunately the Blunt also suffers from a rather loose NeoMoto fit...worse than the ZTR IMO. Rainman reports very good reliability with a ghetto tubeless application with the Neo and Blunt...probably because of a beefier interface between the ghetto tube and Neo bead in that type of setup. I think I'll try this setup with my Blunt before waiting on the Nevegal...or other possible candidate for tubeless 650B. The Neo is an outstanding tire, but there's some shakiness right now if you want to go tubeless and ride it on a bigger hit bike in aggressive terrain.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    My opinion. I think the ZTR is more than capable for All mountain riding. Just don't throw some weight weenie spokes on there.

TNC
    noMAD man
    Quote Originally Posted by 88 rex
    My opinion. I think the ZTR is more than capable for All mountain riding. Just don't throw some weight weenie spokes on there.
    I don't know, rex. I thought my ZTR was just out of true from this episode. In putting the wheel in the stand today, I found an actual dimple in the sidewall. I putzed with it for awhile, but it's toast. This slideout this weekend was in pure dirt...no rocks, holes, or hard objects. The berm was packed dirt, but relatively soft nonetheless. The buckle in the rim was from a bending force when the tire came off and the wheel turned in...and I kept going.

I can't qualify the ultimate rim strength from this deal, but it just doesn't strike me as a solid AM rim...plus it's on the skinny side.