Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Baby Bear is in the house

Bikemag reviews the 2014 Processes

Just out, including a "Blueprint" video
    Kona's 2014 Process: a Bike Magazine Blueprint Exclusive
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Does anyone know the MSRP of the Process 134 DL? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

I wish they had written a bit more about how these bikes pedal with a fully open shock, because I have to say that I'm a little skeptical of a single pivot design in 2013. I'm sure it works well, but with all the great suspension designs out there it might fall a bit short.

From what I have heard, the Kona Satori had a lot of brake jack as well, so I'm interested in whether Kona has found a solution to that problem.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    enjoyed the article, thanks for posting the link.

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclismo View Post
    Does anyone know the MSRP of the Process 134 DL? I can't seem to find it anywhere.
    KONA BIKES | 2014 BIKES | ENDURO | PROCESS 134 DL

$3599

The Process 153 is $3399. That's with the Pike, KS dropper, Monarch, Shimano Brakes.

By Comparison the Range Killer B-2 is $3838 with 34 Talas CTD, no dropper, Float CTD, Avid Brakes.

I wish they had written a bit more about how these bikes pedal with a fully open shock, because I have to say that I'm a little skeptical of a single pivot design in 2013. I'm sure it works well, but with all the great suspension designs out there it might fall a bit short.
    One major issue with many magazines these days is that they can't really compare bikes. When was the last time you saw a shootout? Every bike climbs very well, but they rarely say "this bike climbs better than a Heckler, but not as good as a Range."

Which as the consumer I'd really appreciate it, because trying to ride all these bikes is difficult, but I really do want the best climbing 160mm bike for under $4000.
    I do custom ArcGIS and Google Maps, including data collection and sustainable trail layout. Ride Welsh Mountain

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Cyclismo

the Satori does suffer - a bit from brake jack - but the bike works so well. Seems all designs will give or take somewhere and in some aspect -

there's some good threads on single pivot vs the others - not really a competition to speak but for me riding the satori - the ability to shorten the chainstays (and shorter than any link/mpp/vpp) is part of the dna that makes the bike so freaking good and fun to ride - i've learned to feather the brakes more over the washboard or obstacles and reduce the amount of jack so it doesnt effect or bother me...

I am not one bit concerned about them being single pivot - a recent review of the now aged Heckler was quite impressive as well and likely has less engineering in that design than these new process

for the overall fun factor of the satori and what I suspect I would like as a rider from the process - i am willing to compromise in some small ways - just as i'd compromise in other ways on the other designs -

the good news is that we are the recipients of a technology boom in mtb designs - so whether they are single, multi, virtual etc... there are a lot of great bikes that will give us the riding characteristics to make us want to ride!!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    One major issue with many magazines these days is that they can't really compare bikes. When was the last time you saw a shootout?
    The Norwegian MTB magazine Terrengsykkel does a review with multiple bikes in the same category in every issue. I thought "The Bible" also did this as well?

Anyway, I argee with you. A lot of these journalists need to get better at describing how a bike feels beyond just "it climbs great".

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    When is this thing going to hit the showroom floors? Would really like to try one out.

mtbr member
    I…..too…like...to……use………..very……………….long…………..pa uses……….when…I……..…speak. Ithelpsemphasizemyintelligenceandvastlysuperiorkno ledgeofthesubjectmatter! I….hurry……for…..no……one!

I didn’t even make it through the whole video. Not only does it hurt to listen to the guy and folky soothing guitar, but please spare me the single pivot marketing nonsense and excuses. Show me more of the bike, the specs, more riding shots, clips of the suspension at work! How does it climb, descend, pedal, still got brake jack? Can I expect these new Konas to disintegrate within the first few months of riding it? Like others have said a comparison would be sweeeet, especially with them new GTs!

I kid of course, just a bit. But seriously in a video about a bike I want to see more of the bike less of some dude talking.

Now to be nice to Kona. I do really like their new ads I see in road and mtb mags. Very simple, clean design, ¾ shot of the bike, gets the point across well, bravo! Sharp looking ads and bikes! No how do they ride?

From what I have heard, the Kona Satori had a lot of brake jack as well, so I'm interested in whether Kona has found a solution to that problem.
    Any single pivot will likely exhibit some brake jack/squat, even the split pivot/ABP design (although those probably have the least jack/squat of all single pivots). As someone else has said, it boils down to what compromises you can live with. I for one, am concerned about geometry first and foremost. I'd love a dw-link bike, but so far, no one has made one with geometry that I like. The 2014 Processes have so far the best geo numbers (for me) I've seen on any bike. But then again numbers are only part of the story. So I'm very interested in knowing how the bikes ride.

Edit: correct me if I'm wrong (as I'm no engineer), but isn't some brake squat actually beneficial? i.e., it should balance out fork dive (or any forward mass transfer) from braking? I would think this would be most helpful during downhills.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

If it's similar to the Satori then it climbs fine as long as you have a low bailout gear. It has 102% anti squat with a 22T ring. Even with single ring setups it wouldn't be too bad as anti squat drops to about 80%. Brake squat is about the same as most single pivots and the Turner Burner, at 83%. It has a nice mild leverage curve from 2.75 to 2.44 so responds well to changes in air volume. I find the Fox shocks a bit active in the climbing department and adding an RT3 with it's more linear feel improves climbing at the expense of small bump compliance.

The longer travel Process DL 153 doesn't look as good on paper with a lower anti squat but it counters that with a lower more linear leverage ratio. Brake squat is higher but pedal feedback is lower.As usual with suspension designs , choose your poison. Geometry aside[ which is a big selling point of the Konas] the Norco range looks better on paper with higher anti squat and typical 4 bar low brake squat of 51%.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by gvs_nz View Post
    If it's similar to the Satori then it climbs fine as long as you have a low bailout gear. It has 102% anti squat with a 22T ring. Even with single ring setups it wouldn't be too bad as anti squat drops to about 80%. Brake squat is about the same as most single pivots and the Turner Burner, at 83%. It has a nice mild leverage curve from 2.75 to 2.44 so responds well to changes in air volume. I find the Fox shocks a bit active in the climbing department and adding an RT3 with it's more linear feel improves climbing at the expense of small bump compliance.

The longer travel Process DL 153 doesn't look as good on paper with a lower anti squat but it counters that with a lower more linear leverage ratio. Brake squat is higher but pedal feedback is lower.As usual with suspension designs , choose your poison. Geometry aside[ which is a big selling point of the Konas] the Norco range looks better on paper with higher anti squat and typical 4 bar low brake squat of 51%.
    How do you figure this **** out or are you just pulling our collective legs? I'd love to have this knowledge :X

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I can't see why you would think a linear leverage ratio would counter less anti-squat? A more progressive rate change would add support as would a higher compression tune.

Quote Originally Posted by AMjunky View Post
    I…..too…like...to……use………..very……………….long…………..pa uses……….when…I……..…speak. Ithelpsemphasizemyintelligenceandvastlysuperiorkno ledgeofthesubjectmatter! I….hurry……for…..no……one!

I didn’t even make it through the whole video. Not only does it hurt to listen to the guy and folky soothing guitar, but please spare me the single pivot marketing nonsense and excuses. Show me more of the bike, the specs, more riding shots, clips of the suspension at work! How does it climb, descend, pedal, still got brake jack? Can I expect these new Konas to disintegrate within the first few months of riding it? Like others have said a comparison would be sweeeet, especially with them new GTs!

I kid of course, just a bit. But seriously in a video about a bike I want to see more of the bike less of some dude talking.

Now to be nice to Kona. I do really like their new ads I see in road and mtb mags. Very simple, clean design, ¾ shot of the bike, gets the point across well, bravo! Sharp looking ads and bikes! No how do they ride?
    Haha! So true. Mandell isn't the most eloquent of engineers. I understand the appeal of a candid interview versus a scripted one, but at least they should've made him organize his thoughts into an outline first. It was a bit of a challenge to listen to him.
    I also agree that we need more info about the bike itself and definitely riding footage/shots. Of the three "Blueprint" videos so far, this is the least informative. It's better to just read the article.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I'm liking the looks of the DL134. Could be the bike I upgrade from my. I'd like to demo this, the Solo and a few other bikes.

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    The longer travel Process DL 153 doesn't look as good on paper with a lower anti squat but it counters that with a lower more linear leverage ratio. Brake squat is higher but pedal feedback is lower.As usual with suspension designs , choose your poison. Geometry aside (which is a big selling point of the Konas) the Norco range looks better on paper with higher anti squat and typical 4 bar low brake squat of 51%.
    Bummer. The 153 has an awesome spec for the price. Pike, Monarch, and Shimano brakes for only $500 more than the cheapest Range-3? That's a steal.
    I do custom ArcGIS and Google Maps, including data collection and sustainable trail layout. Ride Welsh Mountain

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by probiscus View Post
    How do you figure this **** out or are you just pulling our collective legs? I'd love to have this knowledge :X
    Through a site like this and/or linkage design software.

Linkage Design

It's a cool site and you can easily spend hours going through different bikes/charts/graphs and other cool info he has there. Hard to understand some things (terminology) as well since it's converted from Spanish.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by r1Gel View Post
    Haha! So true. Mandell isn't the most eloquent of engineers. I understand the appeal of a candid interview versus a scripted one, but at least they should've made him organize his thoughts into an outline first. It was a bit of a challenge to listen to him.
    I also agree that we need more info about the bike itself and definitely riding footage/shots. Of the three "Blueprint" videos so far, this is the least informative. It's better to just read the article.
    Yeah the article is better, honestly I didn’t even see it the first time.

I actually liked the BikeMag’s 2013 bible of bike vids. They were corny but informative and we got more than one opinion on the bikes. When they start giving the builders a say like in all the Blueprint vids, it inevitably turns into a self-love fest.

I think the best video reviews were the testrider series a few years back in road biking world. It was an awesome review on a new product every couple of days but now they only seem to put out a vid or two a year under Peloton mag.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by r1Gel View Post
    Haha! So true. Mandell isn't the most eloquent of engineers.
    in fact...he is no engineer at all....impostor!

mtbr member

yeah, its too bad the kinematics of this bike suck so bad. sure it got probably the best ride review by bike mag ever...but you just cant argue with percentages on your computer screen....

Quote Originally Posted by dogbox View Post
    in fact...he is no engineer at all....impostor!
    Sorry, my bad if he isn't. What is he then, a marketing guy?

Keep on Rockin...
    I'd like to tune into the thread. Some well thougth out info is being presented.

Good to see more 650b bike come along. BTW, I'd like to know the BB height, not drop (not sure how to covert.)

"Brake jack" aside, many low single pivots are great bikes to pedal through the chunk and for descending. That same bit of pedal induced squat that allows the suspension to move easily while pedalling through the chunck sucks your power when it does come time to get out of the saddle and hammer though.

For riders with long climbs and long descents, a flip of a LSC knob does the trick. For those riders with a lot of rapid succession ups and downs, lever flipping is no good. A bar mounted LSC lever would be great IMO for these circumstances.

I'm torn between the super plush feel of a low SP or FSR and higher anti-squat bikes. As most of my riding is rapid succession up and downs, and I like to ride up fast as well and down, I'm gravitating towards designs with higher anti-squat.

The low BB, long travel, and slack HTA of the Mach 6, along with its higher anti-squat design might be my next bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    Good to see more 650b bike come along. BTW, I'd like to know the BB height, not drop (not sure how to covert.)
    I don't know about those Maxxis, but a 2.3 Neo-Moto is approximately 702 mm in diameter; so 351-mm radius. Subtract the BB drop from 351 and you get the BB height (divide by 25.4 to get inches). So the 12-mm drop on the 134 gives a BB height of 339 mm or 13.35 inches.

Keep on Rockin...
    Now that I took a closer look at the 153.... Very nice. Might be a top contender for 2014.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    You can change the low speed compression of your shock on the fly. You can't turn off a frames amount of anti-squat. I ride lots of chunk, and the chain growth on high anti-squat linkages is extremely annoying and tiresome. With a low single pivot, you can have the best of both worlds. A nice compliant suspension with little to no feedback, or with the flip of a switch, a nice firm climbing platform. A bit of low speed compression damping is good for handling anyway. I have the older Process, and would not trade it for anything. Don't just use what the paperwork tells you. Ride one and see for yourself. Pedals just fine, and handles like a dream. The geo is spot on.
    Keep in mind also that you just can't achieve super short chainstays with most multi link bikes. Short stays are one of the secrets to the Process's exceptional handling.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotth72 View Post
    You can change the low speed compression of your shock on the fly. You can't turn off a frames amount of anti-squat. I ride lots of chunk, and the chain growth on high anti-squat linkages is extremely annoying and tiresome. With a low single pivot, you can have the best of both worlds. A nice compliant suspension with little to no feedback, or with the flip of a switch, a nice firm climbing platform. A bit of low speed compression damping is good for handling anyway. I have the older Process, and would not trade it for anything. Don't just use what the paperwork tells you. Ride one and see for yourself. Pedals just fine, and handles like a dream. The geo is spot on.
    Keep in mind also that you just can't achieve super short chainstays with most multi link bikes. Short stays are one of the secrets to the Process's exceptional handling.
    Good point

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast