just some guy

BIKE 26/650b silly test

26er/650b Death Match?With Puppets

Less than salutary test of 650b vs 26er.

Dissolved member
    Quote Originally Posted by talabardio View Post
    26er/650b Death Match?With Puppets

Less than salutary test of 650b vs 26er.
    Are those the same guys who were arguing the choice of wheel size for Bronson with the SC engineers for hours instead of actually going for a ride with the new bike? What else do you expect from massive 650b skeptics. Yawn.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Wow they really struggled to come up with any cons for the spitfire it looks like. I won't even comment on the results, couldn't be more meaningless.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Makes me more excited to get my new Spitty frame next week. What's not mentioned is you can run at least 2.25" 650B tires in the 26" dropouts and possibly 2.35" 650's. Lots of room and it was designed this way for mud clearance of the North Shore. I didn't even order the bike with the 650B dropouts and gonna see how it goes with the 26" ones.

They really need to put away the stupid stop watch and ride the bikes for a full day or more on all kinds of varied terrain. Roll over is definitely better with 650B wheels and harshness drops as well which reduces fatigue. It's a very comfortable size IMO.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

orthonormal
    The part that bothered me has nothing to do with wheel size. It's the late acknowledgement of the problems with the old design. I don't recall seeing any mention of that in their old reviews.

I'm finding 650B to be the least noticeable aspect of my new bike.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    If that is what these guys think is a scientific test, then I am glad they are just idiots who ride bikes and not working in some nuclear lab or something.

To be truly scientific you would have to do all your tests when you are fresh. You can't ride one bike and tire yourself out and then ride the other. Second you also would need to monitor the power you are putting out to achieve each lap time. Third you would have to not know what size wheels were on the bike. Not sure how you would pull that off though.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

N/A
    Feb 2004
    I think some people take this too seriously. This is the same magazine that tested suspension designs by putting a beer in a bottle cage and measuring the amount of foam when they opened the beer at the bottom of the hill. And the same magazine that tested the merits of bubble-wrap vs packing foam as body armor.

usually cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkaz View Post
    I think some people take this too seriously.
    for real, 100% satire. i got a good laugh out of it. anyways we all know 29ers rule.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by StiHacka View Post
    Are those the same guys who were arguing the choice of wheel size for Bronson with the SC engineers for hours instead of actually going for a ride with the new bike? What else do you expect from massive 650b skeptics. Yawn.
    meh, nevermind
    Last edited by FlipFantasia; 04-10-2013 at 02:06 PM. Reason: not worth it

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by FlipFantasia View Post
    meh, nevermind
    Yup. It really isn't.
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Ya I'm pretty sure the point of the silly puppets was to make it clear that they didn't actually consider this scientific.

Knob scrubber
    Man people take wheel size seriously, I thought it was humorous satire, which I'm sure it was intended to be.
    Real men do it in the dirt

www.EpicCyclist.com
    I love Seb Kemp. Funny stuff, I just may start buying Bike mag again... btw love your work in Spoke mag!

mtbr member
    One thing was proven as a fact... that canine got wicked grip in the corners, handled the roots and rocks with little to no chatter, descended knar like Gwinn, and has great acceleration up the steeps. What ever rubber he's running is what i'm picking up from the LBS pronto!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Finksta View Post
    Man people take wheel size seriously, I thought it was humorous satire, which I'm sure it was intended to be.
    It has more to do with the fact that bike magazines in general are crap regardless of what they are talking about. They exist as marketing tools for however pays for the ads. They misinform people so that they can make money. Personally I find nothing funny about them, they rob people of their hard earned money and then mislead them. I would be less upset if they put in a disclaimer like:

"We are idiots who like to do stupid tests and our conclusions are just for laughs and really don't mean anything to anyone"
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Bike is the Maxam magazine equivalent of bicycle mags. Lots of nice pics of riders on bikes in exotic locations, and total lack of real quality of articles. You read maxam for girls in swimsuits or lingerie, and you read Bike for similar reasoning.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread