mtbr member

"Big" Brand 650b/27.5 complete bikes

Please forgive if this is not accurate, as I am still considered noobish, but have great interesst.......

I heard one more "big" or mainstream manufacturer was releasing a 650b/27.5 line. Currently, KHS, Jamis and Scott are the only ones with production lines of these new wheelsizes. I do realize that some smaller, less known brands, like Intense, have also released some awesome bikes in these wheelsizes, but who is this so-called "other", "big" manufacturer? Any clues????

I rode a few of these bikes, and really like them. 29ers are great, but they don't always fit the smaller rider (like myself), but the 650b's......all I can say is SWEET!!!!!.....especially as a compliment to my 26" FS.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by iamspartacus View Post
    Please forgive if this is not accurate, as I am still considered noobish, but have great interesst.......

I heard one more "big" or mainstream manufacturer was releasing a 650b/27.5 line. Currently, KHS, Jamis and Scott are the only ones with production lines of these new wheelsizes. I do realize that some smaller, less known brands, like Intense, have also released some awesome bikes in these wheelsizes, but who is this so-called "other", "big" manufacturer? Any clues????

I rode a few of these bikes, and really like them. 29ers are great, but they don't always fit the smaller rider (like myself), but the 650b's......all I can say is SWEET!!!!!.....especially as a compliment to my 26" FS.
    At least, Norco and Rocky Mountain
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Hard funkinī Kraut
    Rotwild, Alutech, Nicolai, Ghost, Cube, to name a few german/european Brands, but no really "big" one. With a lot more to come ...
    Banshee, as a small Brand, offers their Rune and Spitfire for both 26 and 650B Wheels via interchangable Dropouts.

dwt
    mtbr member
    The 27.5" wheel reintroduction into the mtb world over the past few years is still novel. The really big companies like Giant, Trek and Specialized, and also the very popular Santa Cruz, have not jumped in and have not voiced enthusiasm. In fact, just the opposite.

The big event in 2012 that lit a spark was the success of ScottSwisspower XC racer Nino Schurter winning the overall WC, World Campionship and Olympic Silver Medal on the wheel. This gave the wheel size unforeseen publicity ( XC is not where early adopters predicted the wheel size would succeed) and also cred in a market where the 29'er wheel had finally taken hold and even dominate sales.

In 2013, the big companies will see how the little guys made out in sales. Also, as far as racing, what will happen in events where suspension is important? KHS has a 27.5" DH bike and Logan Bingelli took a 3rd at Red Bull Rampage on it. (Having watched that event on video, he "deserved" 2nd). There were rumors floating around last fall that Aaron Gwin had experimented with the wheel size, but his leaving Trek for Specialized kills that unless there is a huge surprise ready to pop up. Intense also makes a 27.5" DH bike. If any riders start winning DH on the tweener wheel, more cred, more sales, more bikes.

Also in 2013, Endoro racing will be big in USA as it has been in Europe. AM and Trail bikes are the bikes of choice in those events; AM and trail suspension is the wheelhouse of the 27.5" size. So, if racers start using it and end up on podiums, again it will spur the market.

Finally in XC, will riders other than Schurter - particularly women - start using it? Time will tell.

2013 will be interesting.
    Last edited by dwt; 01-29-2013 at 09:45 AM.
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    Great reponse so far, thank you. I believe that many bike manufacturers waited a while before jumping on the 29er bandwagon. This time around, though, I don't believe they are going to wait to come to the party late. They will pick what they will focus on, because they also need to think of the retailer and all the parts, etc. they would have to carry for 3 wheel sizes. I could see Trek staying a 29er bike, Specialized President already said not to another size, and Giant was slow to the first party. Will they make that choice again? I think Scott has something with their Genius. It is NICE!!!!! Let's see what 2013 does have to offer. If anyone else hears rumors, etc., bring it here!!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

There will always have to be something new for us to buy

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    The Yeti sales rep told my LBS something along the lines of "You know I can't tell you anything before they allow me to as far as official information releases go, but I will tell you that Yeti is not going to miss the boat on 650b like they did with the 29er wheel size."

I expect something from them this year, but they too aren't as big as the other brands previously mentioned. The point I'm making though is that this sentiment is surely not isolated to the folks at Yeti. Anyone late to the 29er game is probably not going to be late to 650b. Anyone that feels like they were too early to 29er and had to wait too long for the market to come around may very well wait a year longer than the rest, but what is different with the tweener size from the 29ers is the pace at which the size is gaining acceptance.

Fred

Hard funkinī Kraut
    Quote Originally Posted by dwt View Post
    The 27.5" wheel reintroduction into the mtb world over the past few years is still novel. The really big companies like Giant, Trek and Specialized, and also the very popular Santa Cruz, have not jumped in and have not voiced enthusiasm. In fact, just the opposite ...
    I truly believe that when one of the Big-3 jumps in this 650B/27.5-Thing is going to explode ... Be sure the Big Brothers are watching - and testing!
    In the meantime small(er) Companies plan to launch Offerings in the next few weeks/months, or even did. Maybe this is the first Time the Big-3 are late to the Party. 650B has not the big sales yet, but are much more accepted than 29er at first, especially in Europe. This is at least my experience in german MTB-Forums, and elsewhere.

mtbr member
    I was told by Scott reps that they have exceeded their sales on the Genius 27.5, and it is outselling their 26" model by far. This is good news for 650b fans, or fans to be......like me. I rode one and WANT one. Fantastic bike. Now, I want to ride more......and would love to try a Yeti version!!!!! I went to college in Colorado and miss those mountains. Florida is fun, and weather is great, but its not the mountains!!! :-)

dwt
    mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by NoStyle View Post
    I truly believe that when one of the Big-3 jumps in this 650B/27.5-Thing is going to explode ... Be sure the Big Brothers are watching - and testing!
    In the meantime small(er) Companies plan to launch Offerings in the next few weeks/months, or even did. Maybe this is the first Time the Big-3 are late to the Party. 650B has not the big sales yet, but are much more accepted than 29er at first, especially in Europe. This is at least my experience in german MTB-Forums, and elsewhere.
    This plus the info about Yeti is why I don't think I will pull the trigger on a new 27.5'er anytime in the near future. I already have a conversion HT and a Jamis B2 which are just fine for my immediate needs. The next one will be an "all in" dream bike.

With the price tags we have been seeing on the new bikes, if I drop ~$6k USD or more on any bike it better be damn well "perfect". The only one now that has me really drooling is the Cube Stereo because being Euro, it is temptingly weight weenie, and still 160mm travel. 150 mm would be better for my needs and skills. If Cube produced that at similar prices to the 160mm, I would very likely bite now. The other carbon frame producers would be well advised to meet Cube's pricepoint and weight. Until then:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails "Big" Brand 650b/27.5 complete bikes-imageuploadedbytapatalk1359573983.718011.jpg  

Last edited by dwt; 01-30-2013 at 02:36 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I have absolutely no doubt the big boys will be jumping in for 2014 (so that's sometime late summer/fall when new stuff arrives). Takes them longer to ramp up for production than smaller brands once they decide to do it. Not sure how true it is but it was mentioned to me Specialized will have a 650B Enduro mid year. Hmmm, I'd like to see a dedicated 150mm 650B Giant Reign.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    650b trek remedy, I just like how that sounds!

T.W.O
    I consider Scott to be a larger mainstream manufacturer. Not like the big 3 but still.
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

dwt
    mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by boydamages View Post
    yeah. There will always have to be something new for us to buy
    Yessir. In my case, that includes mt. biking, road biking, alpine skiing, XC skiing and golf. Some stuff is worthless bling, other stuff is improvement of existing equipment, and still other is totally new and different. If you are serious about your sport, you should know which is which, pick your product accordingly, and spend your money wisely. I'm for anything that noticeably improves my performance and/or enjoyment of whatever sport I happen to be doing.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Santa Cruz is going to go 650B, look for something at SeaOtter. Trek has already been testing 650B Remedies for the DH team. GT/Cannondale have a 'secret' mid-year launch planned for the AM/Enduro market. Technically the Dorel corp probably controls more of the bicycle market than anyone except Giant given how they own Cannondale, GT, Schwinn, Mongoose, and several other brands.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread