Bicycle Retailer Articles

Printable View

  • 11-26-2012
    dwt
    Bicycle Retailer Articles
  • 11-27-2012
    talabardio
    Cool, thanks for the articles.
  • 11-27-2012
    StiHacka
    Yep, that first article was unthinkable this past Spring. The momentum behind the 26" is and will remain strong but the R&D investments are going elsewhere.
  • 11-27-2012
    etanc
    Hold on, the 275 picking up speed. I hope it will be enough momentum to carry into the category where the 29r dominates but the articles seem to sort it out the way many see it settling. Maybe some more exitement from Nino? 2014 seems far off but another year on the 26r is not a bad thing. Any wheel size is better than not riding.
  • 11-27-2012
    dwt
    Other than the people on this forum, I don't know anybody who rides 27.5 but me. I know a few holdouts on 26" but everybody else is on 29" and they are all happy and are hard to keep up with on the trails. I demoed 29" and loved it. But being a cheapskate I converted a 26'er HT to 650b in order to get a taller wheel, and liked it enough to buy a Jamis 650B2 which I also love.

    But I admit my fast friends on 29'ers make me wonder so I'm sometimes insecure about my choice of wheel size. When pros like Schurter prove that is not the bike and that 27.5" is viable I am reinforced. I know that is lame, but it's human nature to worry about being left out. If Aaron Gwin and/ or Brian Lopes start racing on 27.5" - there is buzz out there- I will be so " I was right and ahead of he curve.". But if they go to 29" for AM/FR ( Lopes) or DH (Gwin) I will go " maybe it is the bike when people I dropped when we were on 26" now drop me when I'm on 27.5" and they are on 29". I hope it is just me not pedaling hard enough.

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • 11-27-2012
    talabardio
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by dwt View Post
    Other than the people on this forum, I don't know anybody who rides 27.5 but me. I know a few holdouts on 26" but everybody else is on 29" and they are all happy and are hard to keep up with on the trails. I demoed 29" and loved it. But being a cheapskate I converted a 26'er HT to 650b in order to get a taller wheel, and liked it enough to buy a Jamis 650B2 which I also love.

    But I admit my fast friends on 29'ers make me wonder so I'm sometimes insecure about my choice of wheel size. When pros like Schurter prove that is not the bike and that 27.5" is viable I am reinforced. I know that is lame, but it's human nature to worry about being left out. If Aaron Gwin and/ or Brian Lopes start racing on 27.5" - there is buzz out there- I will be so " I was right and ahead of he curve.". But if they go to 29" for AM/FR ( Lopes) or DH (Gwin) I will go " maybe it is the bike when people I dropped when we were on 26" now drop me when I'm on 27.5" and they are on 29". I hope it is just me not pedaling hard enough.

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    29ers are also cool, no doubt about it. The limited testing I've done indicates only a small overall difference in my times between the two formats on my typical rides (650b is faster on twisty single track, 29er faster on more open trails and road), but I have more fun on the 'b' so that gets the nod for future investment. Both sizes, though, are totally legitimate and great options for mountain biking.
  • 11-27-2012
    etanc
    The magazine wheel size shootouts seem to indicate the 650B hangs with the 29r for xc applications. I bet we see more racer types and others posting time comparisons between 29r/650B for a giver course like we did with 29r/26r. That should be interesting and more evenly matched given the tradeoffs.

    At races its harder to discern the impact of wheel size because the human element has a disproportionate impact on winning. A top rider here is still winning on their 26r in a field of almost all 29r's. I would bet on him 26, 27,or 29.
  • 11-27-2012
    reformed roadie
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by dwt View Post
    Other than the people on this forum, I don't know anybody who rides 27.5 but me. I know a few holdouts on 26" but everybody else is on 29" and they are all happy and are hard to keep up with on the trails.

    But I admit my fast friends on 29'ers make me wonder so I'm sometimes insecure about my choice of wheel size.

    I hope it is just me not pedaling hard enough.

    I dusted off the 26" Chameleon on Thanksgiving. Definitely slower than the 29/650b hardtail I had been on, but it was more fun. It all depends on what you are looking to get out of your riding. Also, I was riding flats for the first time, so that added to the fun.

    There is an article on Pinkbike.com RE: suspension travel, how much is too much, and how less may be more.
    I think a lot applies to wheel size too.
  • 11-28-2012
    DeeEight
    There is I think ONE other 650B rider pre-2012 here in ottawa, and this is an area where there's easily a thousand riders on 29ers. I say pre-2012 because this year is the tipping point year really.
  • 11-28-2012
    skidad
    Funny thing happened the other night on our group ride. 650B was the majority wheel size :eekster: no thanks in part to me promoting it I'm sure. 5 riders and 3 on 650 wheels and 2 on 29'ers. Me on my Jamis Dakar, another on a converted Stumpjumper and another on a converted Mojo. Both guys feel they have breathed some new life into their rides and like the changes. No surprise to me ;)

    I did demo a new Banshee Prime 29'er the next day.....more to just check out the bike, build quality, and mostly to experience the new KS Link VPP rear suspension which is just fantastic IMO and will also be on the new 140mm travel 26/650B Spitfire which will be out by X-Mas. Bike was very nice but killed me set up 1 x 10 with a 32 ring. Not really good for where and how I ride....although I cleaned a rock section on this bike I've never come close to on my others. Made my day.
  • 11-28-2012
    Morpheous
    Some of the "heels dug in" comments are just shocking (esp from these sources). No wonder the bicycle retail industry is so stagnant and threatened. These guys need to wake the F up before the become extinct!
  • 11-28-2012
    dwt
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    although I cleaned a rock section on this bike I've never come close to on my others. Made my day.

    That's the pro 29" superior roll argument in a nutshell. What Brian Lopes (in his book) said he did not need. What I called " cheating" when I cleaned a section I could not on my other bikes . But if your definition of fun is fewer dismounts and cleaning more gnarly terrain, there ya go.

    I'm still very interested in Lopes liking the Ibis Ripley, and Aaron Gwin racing on bigger than 26" wheels 2013. No new news as far as I can find
  • 11-28-2012
    skidad
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by dwt View Post
    That's the pro 29" superior roll argument in a nutshell. What Brian Lopes (in his book) said he did not need. What I called " cheating" when I cleaned a section I could not on my other bikes . But if your definition of fun is fewer dismounts and cleaning more gnarly terrain, there ya go

    I also feel like the 29'er is a bit like cheating as it makes some things allot easier and yes I have experienced that first hand. Still the disadvantages I don't care for and I'm still all in for 650B. A woman that sometimes joins our group rides (when she's not home with her young children) cleans stuff and nasty climbs on her 26" Stumpjumper that I have failed to do. She's a joy to watch just pick her way through rock gardens and up gnarly hills and makes it look so easy. I think possibly a woman's low CG can aid them in this regard. I just need to get better and not go the easy route to 29'er.