Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Bianchi P.U.S.S. 650B conversion

[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

Just finished converting my Bianchi PUSS to 650B. I used Alex XD-Lite rims, Pauls hubs and Sapim race spokes. The tires are IRD Fire XC Pro's. The 26" wheel set was Sun DS-1XC and Spot hubs with Panaracer Fire XC Pro's. The rims are the same width 18mm and the tires are the same. I didn't even have to move the wheel back in the drop outs. Plenty of room in fact I was eyeballing the wifes 29er and I'm positive a 29 will fit in the fork and If I slide the rear wheel back in the drop outs it just might fit. I'm going to try and ride it tomorrow if I can slip out if not I will try it out Sunday.

Pink rules
    Tim

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    First off, I like the color. But why in the world would Bianchi paint a bike pink and call it a puss!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Pink
    Ugly
    Single
    Speed

Some body told me that it had something to do with beast cancer awareness. I know King had pink colored components at the same time the frames came out.

Tim

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I really like the bike. I just picked up a SISS and I'm wanting to do a wheel conversion. Either a 69er, 650b, 79er, or something else. How do you like the ride of the 650b compared to the 26er? Also do you think you could fit a 29er on front and back? Have you ridden it any other way (69er etc) how do you like that if you have? Any help would be great.

Glorified Hybrid Owner
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TimT
    ...and If I slide the rear wheel back in the drop outs it just might fit. I'm going to try and ride it tomorrow if I can slip out if not I will try it out Sunday.
    A 29" wheel and tire in the front and the back will raise the bb quite a bit.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I did the first ride yesterday at the Spillway. I'm going to have to drop my gear ratio. I kept the same ratio as I did with the 26". I love the extra ground clearance and I had to use a bit more body english in the tighter turns. I'm also going to put the 160mm rotor back on the front. Tire wanted to crab a bit. I did put my wife's 29 wheelset on the bike just to see if it fit. The fork fit real nice and I had to place the rear at the end of the drop outs but it fit too. Not sure if I'd run it as a 29. I might barrow a buddy's SS 29 wheelset and try at least one ride to see what its like tho. (the wifes a 9 speed wheelset).

Tim

smell the saddle...
    Hey Tim, thought that was you...not too many people named "Tim" riding PUSS bikes that I am aware of.

Interesting I stumbed upon you here, as I am thinking of running a 27.5 front wheel on my MUSS for the meantime until I get my new 650b custom bike built.

We need to hook up to ride and maybe I can borrow your front wheel to get a feel of things. PM me for my cell and we can meet up at the Spillway soon.

-stu

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Very nice bike.wouldnt mind one myself.

mtbr member
    does the rear wheel fit pushed all the way forward in the dropouts?
    Ride & Smile

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Matt
    does the rear wheel fit pushed all the way forward in the dropouts?
    Yep If you look in the picture the wheel is setting about a 1/2 from the end of the drop I could probably push it another 1/4 forward.

Tim

metrotuned WoS
    Hot PUSS! I assume this 650b would work for a SISS and SASS Bianchi as well!? I think aka brad was doing one with his SASS? 650b fixie conversion?
    #willofthesun and author of the most viewed MTBR thread: Platform Pedal Shootout

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    You shouldn't have a problem with 650b I run 29er front (2.3) and rear (2.1 SB8) and they fit pretty well. I'd rather have a smaller front than a 2.3 but you might be able to get away with it.

metrotuned WoS
    Pspuza, you can fit a 29er rim and tire on the Bianchi single speed frames like the SASS?!
    #willofthesun and author of the most viewed MTBR thread: Platform Pedal Shootout

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Yea I have a SISS and it works just fine. Right now I'm running a 700X42 cross tire, but I've fit a 2.1 29er front and rear with some room to spare, and the wheel doesn't have to be on the end of the stays (with Small Block 8). With the 2.1 Crossmark it has to be pretty far back, and with the exiwolf it's not really on the dropout. The front can fit a exiwolf but barley, anything smaller would be great. I'll take a picture later today.

Edit: Here are the pictures sorry for so many..

Last edited by PSpuza; 04-07-2010 at 04:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yea I put my wife's 29 wheels on the PUSS and they fit. Not a lot of room but you can do it. Not sure about the SISS and SASS.

Tim

metrotuned WoS
    PSpuza: you're the man!!! Thank you for sharing!

HOLY SH*T!!! How come I just found about this now! That is so awesome, even creating a fixed gear 700c 29er demon out of the dedacciai steel SASS with a front disc brake.
    Last edited by metrotuned; 04-08-2010 at 11:41 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    No problem. That Fixed gear 9er sounds sweet, Just make sure you don't go too big on the rubber, 2.1 or smaller just to be on the safe side (No Crossmark on rear! the volume of the tire makes it to where you have to run the rim on the very back of the dropout.) Something like the a wide cross, SB8, or WTB Vulpine esque would be better.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    How are those rims holding up? Are you running tubeless?

Ovaries on the Outside
    Great thread. I love those Bianchis. Might have to pick a frame up for my next bike...

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Just bought a S.A.S.S. and this thread almost brought me to tears of joy, I know Im two years late but what would you guys recommend 650b or 29"?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Whoa, hold the phone, I was just literally just getting ready to sell my S.A.S.S. It doesn't get any use now that I purchased a 29er. I'm just not a big fan of 26" wheels anymore, and really don't see myself ever making the switch back. I was going to replace my SASS with a 29er single speed, but this is a whole new ballgame. Maybe I'll just do a wheel swap. Very interesting, thanks for posting!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Go with the 650B as there is not enough room for the 29 in the rearto do you any good (tire rub). You could do a 29 in the front and 650 in the rear........

Tim

NedwannaB

Good bump

Quote Originally Posted by TimT View Post
    Go with the 650B as there is not enough room for the 29 in the rearto do you any good (tire rub). You could do a 29 in the front and 650 in the rear........

Tim
    I would have saved myself alot of research and fretting if I still had my C.U.S.S to convert.

Don't you think the B29'r would have the BB too jacked up? I say straight 650B as tight in the sliders as possible to keep the chainstays to a minimum.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I've been riding my 650b PUSS exclusively for over 3 years now. In the past I have switched bikes every year or two, but I see myself staying with this one for a long time. So, yeah, if you have one of these Bianchi frames, convert it for sure!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bianchi P.U.S.S. 650B conversion-jpimg_0682_small.jpg  

The Brutally Handsome
    I just picked up a W.U.S.S. (same frame as the P.U.S.S.) can't wait to try 650b!!!

Any pics of front/rear tire clearance?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast