mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Better to run 26" wheel with 650b fork or 650b wheel with 26" fork?

I am in the process of purchasing the Ibis HDr and wanted to attempt to run it in the 130mm/650b configuration for local trails as well as 160mm/26" configuration for bigger trips. I was hoping to do this with the same fork - and was leaning towards the pike set at 150mm and was wondering which version would work better from an offset perspective

mtbr member
    Offset aside, isn't the 650b fork going to be the far better choice due to clearance?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Agreed - if offset impact is a non-event the tie goes to the 650B fork by default. But I wanted to understand the offset impact better before taking the plunge

mtbr member
    My non-expert impression is that the offset issue is relatively minor while the clearance issue is anything but, unless you're sure you'd never want to run a wider front tire. I don't know what fits in the new Pike, but I know my Lyrik 26" can't fit 2.35 Schwalbes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    The difference in head tube angle between a comparable 650b and 26" fork is probably somewhere around 0.5 degree slacker. The 650b tires won't change offset as long as you do front and rear. You can get the 650 fork and an angleset and adjust for the difference if you don't like the ride (anywhere from +1.5 to -1.5 degrees).

Hard funkin┤ Kraut
    As far as I know the Pike has a 40mm Offset for 26, and 42 mm Offset for 650B. Nothing to worry about I think ...
    Tire-Clearance is the Key - Get a 650B-Fork! The A-to-C-Height is possible 10 mm taller, resulting in a 0,5 Deg slacker Headangle. In my Opinion nothing to worry about ...

mtbr member
    The handling differences are sooooo much personal preference, but I've run forks w/ both 40 and 42mm offset w/ 650b wheels and 67.5 - 68 deg head angle, and the resulting trail difference is definitely noticeable to me. I wouldn't say one is hands down better, just a little different. With the 42 offset the handling is a little sharper, better in tight slow speed corners, techy uphill switchbacks, etc., but things get a little dicey quicker in loose high speed corners. The 40mm offset, and longer trail, gives more margin of error when pushing hard in fast corners, but requires a little more exaggerated steering input, laying the bike over more, in tight corners. If I were in your shoes I would definitely go with the 650b....aside from the extra clearance, I think the 42mm offset will produce more neutral handling with the slacker head angle you're likely to be running. Going below 67 deg HA w/ just 40 mm offset sounds like a recipe for too much trail unless you're just bombing fast and loose DH all day.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Anyone here know why the same can't be done with a fox 34 650b? Lbs has told me that fox are saying you can't run a 26" wheel in their 650b forks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuckie View Post
    Anyone here know why the same can't be done with a fox 34 650b? Lbs has told me that fox are saying you can't run a 26" wheel in their 650b forks
    Sounds like nonsense to me. Offset may not be "ideal" depending on your head angle, but that's pretty subjective anyway. Only other thing I could imagine is if the shape of the arch and lower legs near the upper seals are narrow enough to lead to corning lug clearance issues with the smaller diameter than intended wheel.... but I doubt it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuckie View Post
    They say the same thing about running 650b in their 26 forks. It's probably simply an insurance warranty issue. I don't think it's a can't be done, it's more oh no he di'int, shoulda bought 2 forks for the price of 3. The x-fusion velvet can be used for both, and x-fusion says so too.
    No fuss with the MUSS

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    =oh no he di'int, shoulda bought 2 forks for the price of 3.
    hahaha

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Same question really, but for a Carbine SL. Will a 650b 150mm Pike be a better purchase than a 26" Pike?

Head angle is 68deg with 150mm 26" forks, I want to future proof my component choices but need to understand the effects of running the 650b Pike before making the plunge.

I've also read it might be possible to run the 29" 140mm Pike internals in the other forks??

So, any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Had a 650b "specific" Pike on my 650b Rune and now running a Pushed 36 RC2 with Hans D 2.35, possibly the largest volume 27.5 tire and I have plenty of clearance! Before I sold the Pike I measured the axle to crown and they were almost identical to the 26" 36 I am now running. I aired down the Float and bottomed it and there were no issues!

mtbr member
    Thanks Frank. but it is SUPER playful & snappy, longer top tube & shorter chainstay is pretty much all manufacturers are going in this direction!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by socalMX View Post
    Had a 650b "specific" Pike on my 650b Rune and now running a Pushed 36 RC2 with Hans D 2.35, possibly the largest volume 27.5 tire and I have plenty of clearance! Before I sold the Pike I measured the axle to crown and they were almost identical to the 26" 36 I am now running. I aired down the Float and bottomed it and there were no issues!
    You're right about the A/C height. Fox 26" 36 @ 160mm travel is 545.3 and a Pike 650b fork @ 150mm travel is 542mm (552 for 160)

When you get a chance could you snap a pic of the front view of the arch clearance and just how close was the tire to the bottom of the crown at full bottom out.

Almost any of the 26" forks will fit the width of any 650b tires. It's the arch clearance and bottom of crown hitting that's the real issue. Also the offset can have some effect as well. Just more variables and options to tune with if you're careful.

Nice Rune...those blue pedals would look sweet on my Spitty (also the Amps)

Better to run 26" wheel with 650b fork or 650b wheel with 26" fork?-img_0307r.jpg

Hard funkin┤ Kraut
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank N. Byke View Post
    ... Seem pretty long, though. I think I like the snappy feel of a shorter wheel base.
    The best Thing you can do is: Try and find out what a "Forward-Style-Geometry" can do for you. Most People stick way to much on Numbers on Paper, slack Angles, long Reach and Wheelbase and so on ...

Truth in real Life is: The longer Reach puts your Body pretty centered over and in the Bike, which gives as much Control as possible and gains a really playfull Character, just in a different Manner.

A Guy demorode my Spitfire yesterday, coming from a 07 Nicolai FR with a Wheelbase of 1135 mm. Jumped on mine with 1183 mm WB and guess what - he was excited in every Aspect - better Descending, better Jumping, better Cornering and at least better Climbing as well. This Dude was smiling the whole 4 Hours we rode together! He stated the Spitfire was really playfull for him, almost the same if not more than his Nicolai, even with the 650Bs. A Friend of him (owns a Liteville 301 MK8) rode my Spitfire too and stated just the same ... !!!

But hey - off Topic, I┤m sorry ...

Hard funkin┤ Kraut
    @ Frank N. Byke

I didn┤t knew the Guys, or the Trails before. He asked for a Demoride and we met. But that┤s a Sidestory ...
    If you have ridden both and came to this as your final Conclusion all is good!

usually cranky
    i have a 650b rev and a 26'' wheel. about the same arch clerance as a 26'' fox and 26'' wheel.

Nor­wegr
    Anyone riding a lefty with 650b?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by socalMX View Post
    Good to know the 27.5 HD 2.35 works with the 36 RC2.
    But is that a 180mm or a 160mm 36 RC2?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I upgraded my 2010 RZ 120 to a 650 B with 2.35 Knobby Nic. My lefty is a 120mm Ultra Carbon PBR unit. I converted to the larger wheel when I turned my old wheel into a potatoe chip. Since I had to have a new wheel made I went with Stans Flow 650 B in front and 26 Arch in the rear. I am very happy with my decision. No need to add spacers to my Lefty, clearance is fine.

I am willing to ride my bike for another year and wait to see how the manufacturers approach the 2014 year after having another year behind them. If I could make a switch today I would look at the Turner Flux or an IBIS with 130 mm Lefty. My recommendation is you go 650 and don't look back, whats the worst that could happen? you could go back to a 26" wheel. I don't think that will happen.... Hitt

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    [QUOTE=skidad;10711677]When you get a chance could you snap a pic of the front view of the arch clearance and just how close was the tire to the bottom of the crown at full bottom out.

/QUOTE]

Jeff, I've got some pics of a 2012 F36 in the Fork thread. Someone posted 2013 had less clearance which surprised me. Mine is 2012 lowers and with the more linear 2013 air cartridge. The 2012 is quite a bit more progressive. You can swap to the 2013 air cartridge, I think the 2010 to 2012 are backwards compatiable[ before they had an inverted cartridge ]. Feels similar at both 160 and 150mm. You can certainly notice how stiff and accurate this fork is , even compared to the 35mm marz 55CR. You can notice handling difference between my Marz 55CR with 45mm off set and the F36 which I think is around 39mm? I read it's 37mm but it feels like 39mm to me.

mtbr member

Better to run 26" wheel with 650b fork or 650b wheel with 26" fork?

Quote Originally Posted by Thelma Viaduct View Post
    Same question really, but for a Carbine SL. Will a 650b 150mm Pike be a better purchase than a 26" Pike?

Head angle is 68deg with 150mm 26" forks, I want to future proof my component choices but need to understand the effects of running the 650b Pike before making the plunge.

I've also read it might be possible to run the 29" 140mm Pike internals in the other forks??

So, any thoughts?
    Did you end up putting the Pike on your SL?