Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    73

    Best Clearance 650b tire/tyre for rear?

    I have a seriously clearance challenged 26er/650b conversion. I started with a 2.3 neo-moto, moved to a 2.1 Kenda Nevegal, and neither fit. I need just a few mms less height.. Any suggestions?

  2. #2
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    40
    Vee Rubber 2.1 check them out at My650b.com

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    73
    I noticed, but couldn't find any consensus. Anyone have any measurements?

  4. #4
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    40
    from another post and not measured by me!

    I bought a set of the Vee Rubber 650b 2.1 Missions and mounted them to Velocity Blunt SL rims. They measured 27.2" in diameter and 1.9" wide w/ 40 psi pressure, measured from the highest/widest points on the tread. The tires weighed about 630 g.

  5. #5
    Life Is Short
    Reputation: fatcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,728
    I like to post replies from the supreme sublime to the mundane moderate so here goes:
    Use a file to file down the rear yoke or get these two tires. The Vee Rubber Vee10 is a copycat
    of Kenda's Small Block 8 but the only difference is that they got to it before Kenda, hahahah!!!
    The Maxxis Crossmark is also a good candidate for low profile tires. Like you I also have a bit of that problem, perhaps everyone who has done a conversion has a bit of that as well. I have to wait
    until my Kenda Neverolls wear out. I think the Vee 10 will clear the hell out of any rear gap problems. Until then get some diagonal pliers and shave down the knobs on the Kenda.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best Clearance 650b tire/tyre for rear?-20120619-1414391%5B1%5D.jpg  

    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Ride More, Eat More

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    49
    Maxxis Crossmark is a good option

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    12
    If you have to limit the overall diameter to get clearance then maybe the 650b conversion isn't really a good option for that particular bike. By going down in tire size you are defeating the whole purpose. What you are trying to gain with 650b is overall increase in diameter of wheel/tire to gain the benefits of the increase in wheel/tire size. Why not put a 650b on front where it is easier to get adequate clearance but put on a bigger tire with standard 26 wheel in rear. Accomplishes about the same thing without the cost of a new wheel. In other words what is the difference between a 26 wheel with a big tire vs. a 650b wheel with a small tire?

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    12
    I am in a similar predicament.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    49

    why 27.5

    Quote Originally Posted by popopapa View Post
    In other words what is the difference between a 26 wheel with a big tire vs. a 650b wheel with a small tire?
    The 26" with one of the biger tires will weight much more and the tire will likely have more rolling resistance.
    If you are after a DH\FR machine this is not an issue.
    If you are after a trail\XC bike it does make a differene.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    12
    Soooo........ I went to put the 650b wheel and fire Xc 2.1 on the rear of my gt idrive and it rubs on the seatstays ( if it has any, fs and all). Are the maxxis crossmarks or the vee 10's listed above able to give better clearance? Any other better options, or shall I throw in the towel? The current wheel/tire spins, but drags the knobs. Thanks in advance.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by eranshap View Post
    The 26" with one of the biger tires will weight much more and the tire will likely have more rolling resistance.
    If you are after a DH\FR machine this is not an issue.
    If you are after a trail\XC bike it does make a differene.
    Actually the weight is less with the 26" bigger tire setup. Of course it comes down to which tire you end up using but in my case with same hubs and stans crest rims using NobbyNic 26 vs FireXC650b, the 26" setup is 40grams lighter. Not sure about rolling resistance.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    275
    Quote Originally Posted by popopapa View Post
    Actually the weight is less with the 26" bigger tire setup. Of course it comes down to which tire you end up using but in my case with same hubs and stans crest rims using NobbyNic 26 vs FireXC650b, the 26" setup is 40grams lighter. Not sure about rolling resistance.
    You are always able to find exceptions to the rule, but the fact of the matter is generally speaking a 27.5" wheel/tire will weigh less than a 26" wheel/tire FOR THE SAME OVERALL DIAMETER (which is what was questioned here). Further, the difference in weight is on the outer perimeter of the wheel's rotating mass, which has a far, far greater effect than weight in the hub (which extremely few would ever notice without a scale).

    The weight difference in spokes is trivial, maybe 4-6 grams for 32 spokes. It is 15 grams difference in the rim (ZTR Crest) for a total of ~ 20 grams for the larger wheel assuming you use the same hub. It is going to be rather difficult to make up the size difference in tire height without significantly exceeding a weight difference of 20 grams...

    Fred

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    49

    Good job!

    Quote Originally Posted by RagerXS View Post
    FOR THE SAME OVERALL DIAMETER
    As Fred said...

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Pothole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    174
    Quote Originally Posted by Travisandcindy View Post
    Soooo........ I went to put the 650b wheel and fire Xc 2.1 on the rear of my gt idrive and it rubs on the seatstays ( if it has any, fs and all). Are the maxxis crossmarks or the vee 10's listed above able to give better clearance? Any other better options, or shall I throw in the towel? The current wheel/tire spins, but drags the knobs. Thanks in advance.
    I would like the know the answer to this as well as the Fire XC 2.1 slightly rubs the non-drive side of my chainstays. Slight trimming with a razor blade fixed it up but I'd rather not have to do that every time.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,476
    Maxxis Ardent? It looks pretty low profile yet has some decent looking tread. IDK for sure though.
    We Ride In God's Country!

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    35
    I've said it before but so far Quasi-moto and the Vee Rubber Mission 650B 2.1

  17. #17
    Grams Light Bikes
    Reputation: pastajet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,272
    I find the Neo-Moto 2.3 sort of small and skinny, but I like fat tires.

    Anyway, NM 2.3 comes in at around 27.5, which is about mid height for tires, while Ardent and Vee Rubber Trail Taker 2.4 are close to the same (27.7? - need to re-measure), and the Nobby Nics's are 27 13/16".

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SteveF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,425
    Folks should bear in mind, too, that some 26" frames just aren't convertible. I'd guess that fewer than half 26" frames out there actually are, with enough clearance to give a margin of safety/performance. (room for out of true wheels, etc) Better to sell your frame and get one that is made specifically for the 'B, or at least a proven convertible 26"er than try to make something work that really doesn't...or run a 26/rear,B-front with a compatible fork.

  19. #19
    NedwannaB
    Reputation: JMac47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    8,544

    Different thread

    Quote Originally Posted by pastajet View Post
    I find the Neo-Moto 2.3 sort of small and skinny, but I like fat tires.

    Anyway, NM 2.3 comes in at around 27.5, which is about mid height for tires, while Ardent and Vee Rubber Trail Taker 2.4 are close to the same (27.7? - need to re-measure), and the Nobby Nics's are 27 13/16".
    Same topic. Some of you may have seen this one already but it's the best breakdown in tire sizes for referrence I've seen. Note the 2.1 sitting just above it's big brother on the size pecking order, heightwise at least:

    27.5 Tire Size Reference - Mtbr Forums
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •