Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Best bang for your buck? XX1 or Carbon wheels?

I ride about 3 times a week. Mostly aggressive cross country, with some trips out to Moab and Fruita now and then. I'm thinking about racing Enduro in the spring. I'm riding an alloy Bronson with XX carbon cranks, SLX shifters, rear derailleur and brakes. XT front derailleur. 2x10. WTB ST i23 TCS rims. SRAM MTH 716 hubs.

Considering XX1 or Carbon wheels. Can't do both right now. What do you guys think will offer the most improved ride/ fun factor?

Best bang for your buck? XX1 or Carbon wheels?-img_4708.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best bang for your buck? XX1 or Carbon wheels?-img_4708.jpg  

Nor­wegr
    What kind of carbon wheels are you looking at?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Light-bicycle Chinese rims with Hope 2 hubs.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegard View Post
    What kind of carbon wheels are you looking at?

mtbr member
    I think the answer is pretty simple. A nice Carbon wheelset! Those wheels you have are pretty dang heavy.

XX carbon cranks are awesome, light and stiff. If you want to have a 1x drivetrain just remove your shifter, derailleur, chainrings, and put a narrow wide (Race Face, Wolf Tooth, etc) on there.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by moefosho View Post
    I think the answer is pretty simple. A nice Carbon wheelset! Those wheels you have are pretty dang heavy.

XX carbon cranks are awesome, light and stiff. If you want to have a 1x drivetrain just remove your shifter, derailleur, chainrings, and put a narrow wide (Race Face, Wolf Tooth, etc) on there.
    I second that opinion.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

RE: Best bang for your buck? XX1 or Carbon wheels?

As someone that has done both upgrades in the last 18 months I go wheels as well.

As much as I love XX1 (and I was on 3x9 before) the carbon wheels (Roval Control SLs) made the bike so much more fun. Initially I bought the carbon rims for race only, but it made the bike that more fun I just ride them all the time. I'm on 26" wheels though, so not sure if my opinion counts

Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express

mtbr member
    This is what I found for those wheels:
    978g Front Actual Weight w/o Quick Release
    1210g Rear Actual Weight w/o Quick Release

I am sure you can drop a ton of weight and get a better wheelset with those Carbons/Hopes.

Going 1x10 should also drop close to a lb in weight. and only cost $50.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Save your pennies and get a carbon Bronson with XX and the Enve wheel upgrade.
    Even if you put lighter wheels and a few lighter parts on your bike it will still be pretty heavy.

mtbr member
    I'd take a 30lb bike with light carbon wheels over a 26lb bike with heavier aluminum wheels in a heartbeat.
    On my bike I upgrade to xx1 and it was pretty sweet, but upgrading to some burly Carbon wheels (ROval Traverse SL) was a much bigger difference. They dampen the small vibrations, respond better, climb faster and accelerate quicker.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks moefosho. Good advice. As far as I know, RF and Wolftooth won't fit XX

Best bang for your buck? XX1 or Carbon wheels?-crank.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bootsie_cat View Post
    Even if you put lighter wheels and a few lighter parts on your bike it will still be pretty heavy.
    I dont think you understand what bang for buck stands for...
    The carbon is a little bit more than a lb lighter than the aluminum frame. He already has the aluminum frame bronson. Why would he spend 10k to save 1.4 lbs of frame weight?

mtbr member
    120 BCD x 36T Chainrings | wolftoothcomponents.com
    Wolf Tooth Components Shows Prototype CX Chainrings, 120 BCD Rings Now Shipping
    Blackspire Mono Veloce Narrow Wide Chainring 2014 | Chain Reaction Cycles

I believe its narrow wide, but not positive. I think more companies are making them as well or have plans for it. You need 80 or 120 BCD ring.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Sweet! Thanks for the links.

WT is only available in 36T.

The Blackspire looks like its available in a 32T. Nice!

120 BCD x 36T Chainrings | wolftoothcomponents.com
    Wolf Tooth Components Shows Prototype CX Chainrings, 120 BCD Rings Now Shipping
    Blackspire Mono Veloce Narrow Wide Chainring 2014 | Chain Reaction Cycles

I believe its narrow wide, but not positive. I think more companies are making them as well or have plans for it. You need 80 or 120 BCD ring.

mtbr member
    I'd do both, sell your rear der, front der, front shifter and buy a shadow plus or sram type 2 rear der and a narrow/wide chainring, done. I was able to get am X9 type 2 rear on fleabay for like $85, and the chainrings will be around $40-50, you might be able to get close to that for the stuff you are taking off the bike.
    You should also be able to get about $100-150 for your wtb wheelset to offset some of the cost of the carbon wheels as well.
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

Too Much Fun
    GREAT IDEA.

I think he's looking at somewhere between 800,000-1,000,000 pennies right?
    - -benja- -

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    LightBicycle AM rims, Sapim CX Ray spokes and DT Swiss 350 hubset. Under a grand and will blow your mind

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004
    Neither. Work less hours all year and ride more instead. Or hire a coach/go to a skills clinic. When your wheels or your drivetrain completely fall apart, revisit this question.

-Walt
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Bingo! My last year with a nationally renowned coach took me to a whole new level of riding, racing and fun....and pain, ha. If someone wants to spend money on wheels or 11 speed components, great, but if someone thinks spending money brings with it results, well, it may, but not in the amount that proper intensity, rest and training block phases will do.

Best bang for your buck: more quality saddle time. Unfortunately it doesn't show up in a brown delivery van to get excited over.

mtbr member
    Spend less, 1x10 and apply savings to american made carbon or light alum wheelset.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Derby's new wide carbon rims combined with a high engagement hub in back and then get the General Lee adapter (or the other big 42T cog from the guy in Germany) and build yourself a poor mans XX1 which you can do with a standard 10 speed cassette carrier/freehub.

I'm running the XX1 on my Banshee Spitfire and gotta say it's super sweet but I've got some pretty nice custom built wheels but not carbon. Derby's new wide rims are on the lust for list for sure, especially for the price.

mtbr member
    Blackspire makes a 80bcd 32t NW chainring ????
    Nice
    I could only find one shop doing those in Germany.. I don't speak German
    and that was through deep digging on the 1x10 XX1 alternative threads
    Warhawk does one too. but, it is not NarrowWide
    the 120bcd can only go as small as 36t.. Wolftooth does make one of them.

I actually just did both upgrades to my Bronson
    40mm carbon wheels and XX1-XX0 1x11
    doing both at the same time was a pretty dramatic change
    I went with a Hadley XX1 driver hub on the wheel build so I can't say too much about choosing one over the other.
    But if I had to only do one I would say do the wheels with good hubs that can be upgraded to the new driver later.
    My wheel build came out to about 720gr for the front and 980gr for the back...
    I saved a ton of weight and got much better handling and tuning options at the same time..
    Quote Originally Posted by gfowkes View Post
    Sweet! Thanks for the links.

WT is only available in 36T.

The Blackspire looks like its available in a 32T. Nice!

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    Neither. Work less hours all year and ride more instead. Or hire a coach/go to a skills clinic. When your wheels or your drivetrain completely fall apart, revisit this question.

-Walt
    Oh my god. I sometimes crack and forget the MTBR passive aggressive polite schtick and tell people instead of throwing money at a problem (lack of on-bike performance) to save their $ 5k and spend it instead on a 2 week unpaid vacation to some cool biking place and get lessons and just ride their bike. Given that this advice is proffered on a biking website devoted to reviewing gear and given that I am complicit in marketing gear to said people this advice often falls on deaf ears.

Not intended to dis the OP who actually posed an interested (if slightly gear-queer) question
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post

-Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    Bingo! My last year with a nationally renowned coach took me to a whole new level of riding, racing and fun....and pain, ha. If someone wants to spend money on wheels or 11 speed components, great, but if someone thinks spending money brings with it results, well, it may, but not in the amount that proper intensity, rest and training block phases will do.

Best bang for your buck: more quality saddle time. Unfortunately it doesn't show up in a brown delivery van to get excited over.
    I've had my job 28years and don't want to lose it
    So for some.. that really is not an option.
    I work 12 hour days dawn to dusk. I would love to be able to ride more. and would also really like to have a serious training schedule
    But, it's not going to happen. I ride when I can and enjoy every minute of it.
    I also don't think upgrading my bike is to fix a problem. I appreciate better performance from the equipment
    it doesn't make me any faster. but, it does put a smile on my face..

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I dont think you understand what bang for buck stands for...
    The carbon is a little bit more than a lb lighter than the aluminum frame. He already has the aluminum frame bronson. Why would he spend 10k to save 1.4 lbs of frame weight?
    Because poster like him are jackasses.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member

nothig wrong with having a nice bike

Quote Originally Posted by flyinmike View Post
    I've had my job 28years and don't want to lose it
    So for some.. that really is not an option.
    I work 12 hour days dawn to dusk. I would love to be able to ride more. and would also really like to have a serious training schedule
    But, it's not going to happen. I ride when I can and enjoy every minute of it.
    I also don't think upgrading my bike is to fix a problem. I appreciate better performance from the equipment
    it doesn't make me any faster. but, it does put a smile on my face..
    Of course, if you can afford a nice bike and a coach, then good for you, but..Not everyone is willing to ride a $500 bike and spend the rest of their money on a coach.

I like to ride cool equipment, just like you.

And just like you, I am considering both 1 x (something) and carbon hoops on my next new ride.

My own opinion is that wheels/tires are the most important component on a bike and should always be upgraded first. Let us know what you decide and how the choice works out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast