mtbr member

Best 27.5 tires for ghetto/gorilla tape tubeless

Going to buy my first 27.5er this week and want to go immediately tubeless when I purchase it. Anybody have a favorite 27.5 tire for this tubeless method?
    Ride it into the ground.

mtbr member
    Much success with Kenda and Maxxis tires! Nice!

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery
    TrailWerks Suspension Service

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I've used this method (with two different wheelsets) with Maxxis Ardent EXOs, Vee Trail Takers, and WTB Wolverines. I don't even think about which tires work anymore- just about all of them do.

And on the topic of Gorilla tape.... I personally think it works better than the "ghetto" Stan's Tape. That stuff is garbage IMO.

mtbr member
    I've had good luck *using a compressor* with Pacenti Neo Moto 2.1, 2.3, Kenda Nevegal 2.1 & 2.3, Maxxis Crossmark 2.1, Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.25 w/ Snakeskin.

Several things will affect the experience you have going tubeless....

What rim? A Stan's, Pacenti, or other tubeless friendly rim will make life much easier if you use a non-tubeless ready tire with gorilla tape and will be inflating with a floor pump.
    If, however, you end up with a rim with a deep internal channel, going the ghetto split tube method will make life much easier with a floor pump....that or wrapping multiple layers of tape to build up the base a little.

I've never really had any trouble with all the non-tubeless ready tires using a compressor, but after recently mounting up a tubeless ready Specialized Ground Control on a 26" rim with a floor pump, and it being no different from airing up a tubed tire...ie, super damn easy, I have to say that I'm looking forward to the new world of tubeless ready beads on 27.5 tires.

Bottom line, pick the tire that you want based on volume, tread, your trails and weight, price...all the usual stuff, and one way or another you can make it work tubeless.

mtbr member
    Oh yeah, BTW, check out this very helpful tire thread.....

http://forums.mtbr.com/650b-27-5/27-...ce-833399.html

mtbr member
    Sun Inferno series rims work really well with this setup and are reasonably priced.

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery
    TrailWerks Suspension Service

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

meh... whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by doismellbacon View Post
    If, however, you end up with a rim with a deep internal channel, going the ghetto split tube method will make life much easier with a floor pump....that or wrapping multiple layers of tape to build up the base a little.
    a trick i picked up a ages ago when tubeless was "bleeding edge" was to use this stuff in deep channel rims to build them up then just need one wrap of tape over it. quicker, cheaper, and less hassle than multiple layers of tape and easier to replace nipples too. comes in different widths and thickness.

Name:  0000000046850.jpg
Views: 579
Size:  25.2 KB

Name:  0000000046850.jpg
Views: 579
Size:  25.2 KB
    "The meaning of life is to find your gift. The purpose of life is to give it away."

dwt
    mtbr member
    Another material to provide volume making conversions easier:

Available at Lowes.

As far as tires, I have had great success with both Geax TNT and WTB TCS, which have tight and burly beads, easy to seat with floor pump and IME burpless and reliable.

One warning, Geax TNT's are so tight, I find them difficult to impossible to mount on ZTR rims (which have larger than normal ERD).
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    I first converted my stock WTB laserdisk wheels with kenda Nevagals with gorilla tape.
    worked ok but did have burping.
    Switched to Stans rims these were much better burp wise. going on the third season they began to mysteriously lose air. Turns out after two+ years the gorilla tape degraded and began passing air.
    after a recent couple of flats on the trail I ended up with tubes in.
    tonight after a ride the rear tube went flat. Turns out mounting tubeless after a tube has been in the tire with a little sealant is much easier to mount less than 5 min each!
    So if you have difficulty I would try leaving some sealant and a tube in over night.
    UGG boots will germinate Paris Hilton like intellect in your soles!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    On LB Carbon rims with Gorilla tape I've mounted/rode successfully the following tires:

Schwalbe RR Perf 2.25
    Schwalbe RR SS 2.25
    Schwalbe NN SS 2.35
    WTB Wolverine 2.2

The WTB and Perf version of the RR aired up effortlessly, the SS versions of the Schwalbe tire required use of a tube overnight to shape the bead then they aired up effortlessy.