mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Best 27.5 carbon wheelset

Looking for some info and opinions on good carbon wheels... And Go...

mtbr member

Re: Best 27.5 carbon wheelset

What width do you want? Without this info, hard to answer. I myself like fat rims 30-40 mm internal.

Derby rims look nice.

I don't buy wheelsets anymore as I like to build my own wheels with any parts I already have.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    20-24 internal. Mostly cross country but good for trail as well.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by ladk387 View Post
    20-24 internal. Mostly cross country but good for trail as well.
    If you wait a bit you'll have more options. SRAM and Stans are coming out with carbon 275 offerings, maybe Reynolds and Spinergy as well. Other than those I can only think of Enve and the Chinese hoops.

I love my Derby's though.

mtbr member
    Industry 9 has a carbon set that is 21mm internal width. I think they make some of the best wheel sets out there.

Brett

mtbr member
    After a few months on the Derby's, I'll never buy another rim for mountain biking that's any narrower than 28-30mm internal even for XC racing. The gain in tire volume, grip, comfort, and casing stability under hard cornering are worth the couple grams weight difference you'd see between a "standard" width rim and a wide one made from carbon. I wouldn't even hesitate to run light weight 2.1 racing tires on the Derby's. The rims are so stiff and strong you can easily get away with lighter spokes and/or lower spoke count also to save additional weight. I don't have any experience with the Light-Bicycles stuff, but they're getting a lot of takers and they have options that are slightly narrower and lighter....whether they're of the same high quality? Dunno, but I kind of doubt it, if for no other reason, they don't have Ray here in the US inspecting, testing, and putting his name on every single rim...and setting any "blems" aside for use in demo wheels, etc. I also think the Derby's are particularly well designed, with sh!t tons of material around the spoke holes and in the bead area, making them really tough.
    I think we're living through a shift in thinking about what's wide and narrow, and anybody who buys a 20mm internal carbon rim now will be wishing for wider replacements in pretty short order if they ever try them.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by doismellbacon View Post
    After a few months on the Derby's, I'll never buy another rim for mountain biking that's any narrower than 28-30mm internal even for XC racing. The gain in tire volume, grip, comfort, and casing stability under hard cornering are worth the couple grams weight difference you'd see between a "standard" width rim and a wide one made from carbon. I wouldn't even hesitate to run light weight 2.1 racing tires on the Derby's. The rims are so stiff and strong you can easily get away with lighter spokes and/or lower spoke count also to save additional weight. I don't have any experience with the Light-Bicycles stuff, but they're getting a lot of takers and they have options that are slightly narrower and lighter....whether they're of the same high quality? Dunno, but I kind of doubt it, if for no other reason, they don't have Ray here in the US inspecting, testing, and putting his name on every single rim...and setting any "blems" aside for use in demo wheels, etc. I also think the Derby's are particularly well designed, with sh!t tons of material around the spoke holes and in the bead area, making them really tough.
    I think we're living through a shift in thinking about what's wide and narrow, and anybody who buys a 20mm internal carbon rim now will be wishing for wider replacements in pretty short order if they ever try them.
    +1 ^

Also, wider is faster. You'll see more XC racers going for a lighter 2.25-2.3 tire rather than the pinners they've run in the past.

mtbr member
    Yea, all the new testing data floating around that confirms that wide and soft is faster rolling than narrow/high psi was pretty eye opening to me, but it jives with what I feel on the bike.

mtbr member
    Another vote for Derby. I was able to build these for rite around 1,000. I have some jealous friends who dumped $2,400 on Enves! Running 2.35 front 2.25 rear. The ride says it all...

Wrench
    I'm going to go ahead and say that, while rims might get slightly wider, the current trend will be Tubular wheels on thin rims among XC racing.

No matter how light you can make a "Wide" rim (400 grams?), they wont be able to hold a candle to the 200 gram and less tubular carbon rims.

mtbr member
    +2 on the Derby option
    what these guys said.....

Quote Originally Posted by mestapho View Post
    +1 ^

Also, wider is faster. You'll see more XC racers going for a lighter 2.25-2.3 tire rather than the pinners they've run in the past.
    Quote Originally Posted by doismellbacon View Post
    Yea, all the new testing data floating around that confirms that wide and soft is faster rolling than narrow/high psi was pretty eye opening to me, but it jives with what I feel on the bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best 27.5 carbon wheelset-img_0250.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FNFAL View Post
    I'm going to go ahead and say that, while rims might get slightly wider, the current trend will be Tubular wheels on thin rims among XC racing.

No matter how light you can make a "Wide" rim (400 grams?), they wont be able to hold a candle to the 200 gram and less tubular carbon rims.
    I think you may be spot-on at the World Cup level, and for well-heeled or high level sponsored amateurs too.... but for all the rest of us, and the mainstream market in general, thousands of dollars for such a narrowly focused and inconvenient to use product won't make much sense, IMO, when you can get fairly close in weight with a much easier to live with wheelset that gives you a lot more versatility in how you use it and what kind of tires you can put on it.... and wide rims with the right tires setup tubeless roll and grip so well that it will leave weight as the only plus for tubulars...their ride quality advantage is quickly being washed away.

Separate note.... are you in Austin, FNFAL? I've seen your posts many times and just recently saw you mention Austin... I know Alex down at Cycle Progression has started moving some 27.5 bikes, and the Sport Shop is slowly coming around, but for the last few years it felt like I was in a group of ONE 650b riders in this 29er crazy town.

Dissolved member
    Derby! I will likely consider getting a pair of 26" Derbys for my Turner DHR when they are out...

Some riders ask me if I run fat tires when they see the goodness that Derby rims deliver.

mtbr member

Re: Best 27.5 carbon wheelset

Once you try fat you won't go back. My first fats were blunt 35s on my rigid ss karate monkey. Running racing ralph 2.4. Wow. That's all I can say.

I bought some derby 35mm 29er rims. I'll be building then up shortly for my new custom frame. Can't wait.

Keep your pinner (23 mm internal and under) road wheels people. I'll sell you mine.

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Nox Composites has a new 27.5 rim, slightly wider than you wanted, but not too much at 27.5mm internal. Plenty of reviews on their 29'er wheels, these don't come out till January though. Asymmetric and only 415g, even a warranty.

AM-275 | Nox Composites
    "Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion."-Jack Kerouac

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thickfog View Post
    Once you try fat you won't go back.
    That's what she said...... HAHA!

No kidding though, I look at my formerly lust-worthy gold Hadley/Flow wheels, in perfect working order and still blingy.... and can barely muster a "mehhh"...and I'm known for hanging onto **** until it's ground to bits and WAY past its prime.

Socal....if I bumped into you on the trail I'd be tempted to knock you over the head and try to steal that muther fusser! really sick.... for that matter, same goes for you Hacka!

I need a 12 step group for bike lust.