Meeeeeeeep

Best 140mm Trail Frame? Conversion or Not

I just built up a Jamis Dakar XAM 650B conversion (you can see me other thread for details) and I am not too happy with the stiffness. I like all the components I have now, just not the frame as much. I've ridden a Giant Reign and some other 6" bikes and they just don't suit my style of riding as much as a 5" bike. I do a lot of steep climbing and 140mm of travel seems to be perfect for me.

I am looking for some recommendations for a 140mm trail frame. I've heard a lot of great things about the Ibis Mojo SL and HD140 but they're a little out of my price range, also the SL has a little too steep HA for my taste. I don't mind buying used and I want to spend a grand or less.

For reference, I ride in a lot of steep, technical, rocky climbs with lots of elevation change and little flatness. Plenty of wide open descents with lots of rocks and roots.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Blur LT? I ride on the Front Range in Colorado and I'm super happy with this bike. 150mm up front, 140mm in the rear.

Meeeeeeeep
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Blur LT? I ride on the Front Range in Colorado and I'm super happy with this bike. 150mm up front, 140mm in the rear.

The Blur LT looks like a great fit, I can only find carbon ones though... Anyone know where to buy the aluminum version?

mtbr member
    Santa Cruz Bicycles

They may still have some at the above address

Hard funkinī Kraut
    Maybe you like to take a look at the http://forums.mtbr.com/650b-27-5/ban...re-828047.html. Easily convertable between 26 and 650B via interchangeable Dropouts. One of the most aggressive Trailbikes out there.
    Turner Burner or Norco Sight 650B should be on your list too.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    You say you are looking for a 5" bike. Just to be clear 140mm is more like 5-1/2". 5" is around 125-130mm.

The Blur TR or is 125mm and I from what I read it converts well. I it has a particularly low bottom bracket, so it should handle to extra added height from the conversion well.

Not sure if you are going to find one used, though.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Some version of the Mojo is what popped into my head right away but even used it's probably more than your $1,000 price range. What size frame are you looking for?

Almost hate to say it but some of the Specialized Stumpjumpers convert nicely to 650B and those bikes climb gnarly, techy stuff really well. You would need to search to see what years work.

If you could find any of the leftover SC Butcher frames in your size that might be a nice option. Little heavy but convert really well and the price they were selling them for was amazing.

Cannondale Prophet 140 (I have one for sale and the whole bike less than you price range with XO RD/shifters, Rase dropper post). These climb well in the XC setting (69* HA and 75* STA) and convert prefectly to 650B. BB height is 14.25" converted but no pedal strikes (New England approved)
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

jrm
    mtbr member
    Theres also the specialized stumpy and some epics. The 08 turner 5 spot

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rinconjake680 View Post
    Santa Cruz Bicycles

They may still have some at the above address
    Yep, I bought my 2012 Blur LTa frame directly from Santa Cruz through this sale. Looks like they have L and XL frames left.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    You just built the bike and your all ready looking to replace it? I would Search for a Blur. Or some DW bike that can be converted. VPP is amazing on the climbs. Excellent power transfer while staying active giving all the traction you could ever want. Set your sag correctly and the system will do nothing but work! Proper Anti Squat tuning is key to a properly suspended bicycle and no single pivot or Faux Bar bike can deliver that amount of performance.

Meeeeeeeep
    I know i just built it up but i want to do some races next spring and want something that'll work for gravity events and cross country as well as be used for fun and training. Basically i am looking for the coveted do everything bike. The Santa Cruz frame looks spot on and is in my budget so that's at the top of the list. The funds i was planning on using for this frame might actually go to a road bike instead. I want one for commuting and cross training. It probably won't be until the summer that i buy a new frame.