Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: B'd 1x1. [0]

Witty McWitterson

B'd 1x1. [0]

Customer's new ride:

From new bikes

I know, I know. Its not fully complete yet, but chain and White Industries freewheel coming soon!

From new bikes

From new bikes

I swear this bike is made for these wheels. They just fit SO good. Anyone know of a beat 1x1 they wanna sell cheap? 20 or 22" preferred. I want to try this size out...
    Just a regular guy.

Harmonius Wrench
    Marty- What does the BB height come out to?
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    I'm sooo jealous...I'm ordering my wheels this weekend at work...and the frame probably soon too. I'm planning on getting that exact frame.

Mines gonna be an Orange 18'' with mostly silver parts...Cant wait to buy/build...

Ordering Silver Velocity Blunt's...good thing our provider ships quickly cause I got the new bike jitters after seeing that baby.

Whats the BB height?

Witty McWitterson
    I measured the height of the bb, and of course I forgot. I'll contact the buyer and see if he can check it.
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member
    Another beauty coming out of your bike shop Marty - well done! Did you have a large say in the spec list on this build?

Thanks for sharing the photos.

Mark

rmb
    mtbr member
    Looks great, BB should be 12-12.1 inches.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Wow. Those tires fit perfectly.

Harshing my mellow, man..
    Jun 2008
    Ok, I understand that biking is kind of a "to each their own" hobby, but why does everyone keep building full-rigid singlespeed bikes? I built up an old GT Tachyon, full-rigid 1x7, so I could run it on any of the 7 gears for a singlespeed if I wanted to at any time. But why the full-rigid? Here where I ride, there aren't too many rocky sections, but the ones that I did ride completely beat me to (close to) death. It was not enjoyable at all, at least to me. Is this just an opinion thing that I'm just not understanding, or is there some sort of reasoning behind this set-up?

mtbr member
    Great lookin bike

The best stories come with scars

I like butter
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by locobaylor
    Ok, I understand that biking is kind of a "to each their own" hobby, but why does everyone keep building full-rigid singlespeed bikes? I built up an old GT Tachyon, full-rigid 1x7, so I could run it on any of the 7 gears for a singlespeed if I wanted to at any time. But why the full-rigid? Here where I ride, there aren't too many rocky sections, but the ones that I did ride completely beat me to (close to) death. It was not enjoyable at all, at least to me. Is this just an opinion thing that I'm just not understanding, or is there some sort of reasoning behind this set-up?
    we use the saying, "if you have to ask, its not for you"

Witty McWitterson
    - because some people like the direct connection to the trail.
    - because our trails aren't your trails.
    - because it looks good.
    - why not?
    Just a regular guy.

Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ~martini~
    - because some people like the direct connection to the trail.
    - because our trails aren't your trails.
    - because it looks good.
    - why not?
    whoa there tiger, don't get so defensive. I'm not attacking, just trying to understand. But let me go along with some of the points that you brought up:
    a) a direct connection to the trail--i thought suspension was kind of "invented" so that the bike didn't bounce up and down when hitting rocks and such...so wouldn't you have less of a connection to the trail with a full-rigid bike? that's just my twisted, common-sense logic, so please open my eyes

b) because it looks good--ok, neat. i was kind of asking about practicality, but if you want to make sure you are super pretty when riding, and the chicks like the full-rigid, maybe that's what i've been doing wrong..

and as far as why not, it just seems like we're going back to the 90's. why go back in advancements made in the biking industry? i mean, if we want to revert back to the early days of cycling, then i'm going to need to invest in some pegs before they get too popular!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

I swear this bike is made for these wheels. They just fit SO good.
    Agreed 100% . . .
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It's great fun, helps improve technique and choice of lines and can make you stronger.
    I ride/train mostly SS rigid but I race geared and with suspension if I need it.
    SS is hard, it's not for everybody.
    don't think everyone keeps building SS rigid bikes. There's a good variety in most of the forums.

Back to the OP, the 1x1's look and handle good. If I run across a small frame I'll swap over the parts from my Gunnar Ruffian(12.7 bb height with 650b)

QUOTE=locobaylor]Ok, I understand that biking is kind of a "to each their own" hobby, but why does everyone keep building full-rigid singlespeed bikes? I built up an old GT Tachyon, full-rigid 1x7, so I could run it on any of the 7 gears for a singlespeed if I wanted to at any time. But why the full-rigid? Here where I ride, there aren't too many rocky sections, but the ones that I did ride completely beat me to (close to) death. It was not enjoyable at all, at least to me. Is this just an opinion thing that I'm just not understanding, or is there some sort of reasoning behind this set-up?[/QUOTE]

nothing relevant to say
    good work fellas!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I swear this bike is made for these wheels. They just fit SO good.
    Looks great. What rims are those?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding
    Looks great. What rims are those?
    They are the Velocity Blunt's...'09's have a lot less stickers...

Witty McWitterson
    Yep, they're blunts, the new stickers are SO much more tastefull. The owner also has a set of Sun Ringle Equalizer's to use too.
    Just a regular guy.

Bike Fiend
    Nov 2008
    Makes me wish I had bought the orange 1x1 instead of the black!

Nice ride!!

Adobo Lover
    What size is that frame?
    National Athletic Trainers' Association, www.nata.org

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    whoa there tiger, don't get so defensive. I'm not attacking, just trying to understand. But let me go along with some of the points that you brought up:
    a) a direct connection to the trail--i thought suspension was kind of "invented" so that the bike didn't bounce up and down when hitting rocks and such...so wouldn't you have less of a connection to the trail with a full-rigid bike? that's just my twisted, common-sense logic, so please open my eyes

b) because it looks good--ok, neat. i was kind of asking about practicality, but if you want to make sure you are super pretty when riding, and the chicks like the full-rigid, maybe that's what i've been doing wrong..

and as far as why not, it just seems like we're going back to the 90's. why go back in advancements made in the biking industry? i mean, if we want to revert back to the early days of cycling, then i'm going to need to invest in some pegs before they get too popular!
    I'm fairly agnostic on this issue, but as someone who is seriously considering purchasing a full rigid bike in the 21 century, here's my observations:
    a) good suspension smooths out the trail, so you don't really feel it. Great for going fast, but it substitutes technology for skill. Rigid forces to you to pick good lines and flow with the trail, rather than simply steamrolling over it. Also, fat tires + big 700c or 650b wheels + steel frame/fork (or ti or carbon) + (maybe) leather or sprung saddle or ti seatpost + peddling out of the saddle a whole lot (in the case of SS) soaks up a lot of bumps and diminishes the need for suspension, though that is of course highly subjective.
    b)you should like how your bike looks. Also highly subjective, but I firmly believe that if you like the looks of your bike, you will want to ride it more, maintain it better, and be proud to own it. And if anyone out there is riding around on a bike that they truly think is fugly, than I think that either they don't really like the bike much or they actually find its fugliness endearing on some level.
    c) on your last point. Do the advancements in the industry make the sport any more fun? For some - yes, for others - no. Were the hippies bombing down the Repack in the 70's having any less fun because they weren't on full squish DH rigs? Hell, Worksman still makes and sells these - http://worksmancycles.com/shopsite_s...ml/page38.html. Talk about old school! I want one so bad. The wife said, "Oh hell no!"

Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bolandjd
    I'm fairly agnostic on this issue, but as someone who is seriously considering purchasing a full rigid bike in the 21 century, here's my observations:
    a) good suspension smooths out the trail, so you don't really feel it. Great for going fast, but it substitutes technology for skill. Rigid forces to you to pick good lines and flow with the trail, rather than simply steamrolling over it.

c) on your last point. Were the hippies bombing down the Repack in the 70's having any less fun because they weren't on full squish DH rigs?
    Yes, in SOME cases it substitues technology for skill, but wouldn't you want to get the most of a ride? Why not choose technology AND skill? I've heard rumors of people riding bikes with suspension, either hardtails or full-suspension bikes, and choosing lines at the same time...but don't quote me on that, as it's a pretty rediculous thought, I know..

And yes, i'm sure "the hippies bombing down the Repack in the 70's" weren't having less fun because they weren't on "full squish DH rigs," but did they really choose to ride whatever they did over a full-susp DH rig? Or was it kind of forced, since that was the only thing around at the time?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Yes, in SOME cases it substitues technology for skill, but wouldn't you want to get the most of a ride? Why not choose technology AND skill? I've heard rumors of people riding bikes with suspension, either hardtails or full-suspension bikes, and choosing lines at the same time...but don't quote me on that, as it's a pretty rediculous thought, I know..

And yes, i'm sure "the hippies bombing down the Repack in the 70's" weren't having less fun because they weren't on "full squish DH rigs," but did they really choose to ride whatever they did over a full-susp DH rig? Or was it kind of forced, since that was the only thing around at the time?
    Well,sure you can have both technology AND skill. And like I indicated, I'm not anti-suspenson or a rigid purist disciple, I just thought I might have a perspective that was worth sharing. I think its about simplicity and the challenge of not having the option to get lazy and fall back on technology. Same reason people ride fixed gear bikes on the road (and people off road) when freewheels have been around for 100 years and deraillers have been around for 80. I'll concede you the point about Repack. I was just trying to illustrate that "advancements" in the industry do not necessarily make riding more enjoyable and that if people were having fun riding clunkers in the 70's, or full rigid MTBs in the 80's, or front suspension hardtails in the 90's, there's no reason they wouldn't still enjoy riding those bikes in 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by bolandjd
    a) good suspension smooths out the trail, so you don't really feel it. Great for going fast, but it substitutes technology for skill. Rigid forces to you to pick good lines and flow with the trail, rather than simply steamrolling over it. Also, fat tires + big 700c or 650b wheels + steel frame/fork (or ti or carbon) + (maybe) leather or sprung saddle or ti seatpost + peddling out of the saddle a whole lot (in the case of SS) soaks up a lot of bumps and diminishes the need for suspension, though that is of course highly subjective.
    b)you should like how your bike looks. Also highly subjective, but I firmly believe that if you like the looks of your bike, you will want to ride it more, maintain it better, and be proud to own it. And if anyone out there is riding around on a bike that they truly think is fugly, than I think that either they don't really like the bike much or they actually find its fugliness endearing on some level.
    c) on your last point. Do the advancements in the industry make the sport any more fun? For some - yes, for others - no. Were the hippies bombing down the Repack in the 70's having any less fun because they weren't on full squish DH rigs? Hell, Worksman still makes and sells these - http://worksmancycles.com/shopsite_s...ml/page38.html. Talk about old school! I want one so bad. The wife said, "Oh hell no!"
    Nice post, well answered.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CDtofer
    Nice post, well answered.
    Yes, too bad locobaylor just wants to argue. Can't he do that over in the SS forum instead?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast