Formerly PaintPeelinPbody

Australia to USA Giant Purchase

Giant is giving America the shaft.

The Aussie Trance Advance 275 2 is listed at $3300 USD. This is with the 142mm rear axle, Revelation, Monarch and the MRP chain guide.

That would make it the cheapest 140mm carbon bikes on the market. Cheaper than the Norco Sight B3 Carbon!

I want this bike, even it means ordering from Australia. So, anyone know if the Giant dealers across the Pacific will ship to me?
    I do custom ArcGIS and Google Maps, including data collection and sustainable trail layout. Ride Welsh Mountain

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

I would bet no, but I guess that depends on Giant's rules for dealers over there. I believe here in the States dealers aren't even allowed to sell the bikes online unless they are for local pickup. Warranty issues might give you a problem too.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Thats a heck of a deal - especially considering the US frame only price is $3,150.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

I agree, that's an awesome deal. I wonder how much shipping would be if one had Australian connections who'd be able to pick up a bike. I'm sure Giant would frown on that if it came to warranty issues and whatnot, but at the end of the day it's not much different than me buying a bike here and selling it to a friend overseas...

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Australasia Giant prices have always been sharp. UK get stiffed as well. The Trance Advance 275 2,here in New Zealand, is USD3300 as well. Not a great spec on the advanced 2 though. For me i'd have plenty of bits to build up another frame so USD2800 for the Bronson C would probably be better.

Just Ride.
    I worked in a bike shop for a little that dealed Giant and I highly doubt you would get a dealer to ship you over a bike.
    2 weeks before I get my Advanced 2

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    Giant is giving America the shaft.

The Aussie Trance Advance 275 2 is listed at $3300 USD. This is with the 142mm rear axle, Revelation, Monarch and the MRP chain guide.

That would make it the cheapest 140mm carbon bikes on the market. Cheaper than the Norco Sight B3 Carbon!

I want this bike, even it means ordering from Australia. So, anyone know if the Giant dealers across the Pacific will ship to me?
    giant site says $3,599 AU with sektor fork. until very recently australian dollar had parity with the U.S.

Trance Advanced 27.5 2 (2014) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | Australia

as far as i know, must be collected in store and cant be shipped

Just Ride.
    Order one, come for a riding holiday to Australia and ship it back. I doubt they will give you warranty.

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    Lame.

By the way, currency exchange is 1USD to 1.09AUS, which adds up after a few thousand dollars.
    I do custom ArcGIS and Google Maps, including data collection and sustainable trail layout. Ride Welsh Mountain

mtbr member
    May 2011
    It's worse on the upper end models. I checked a while back (it might have changed recently), and the top of the line Anthem was about 6k US in Aus, and it's 8.2k US here.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    Lame.

By the way, currency exchange is 1USD to 1.09AUS, which adds up after a few thousand dollars.
    yeah, your sums are certainly right.

Always wondered why giant was cheaper here than in the U.S. Unsure of details but i believe the ultra-short answer is to do with Giants business structure (whatever that means?). Anyhow, we dont have it all good down here. Try buying a niner or santa cruz or any U.S boutique brand. When the au dollar had parity with the US a niner carbon frame was about 1000$ extra. Santa cruz about 700$ and with no access to package deals that US has. Distributors really price gouge here on many things in fact.

The only way for me to get a santa cruz from the U.S. is to go through a third party. There are companies that do this over in the U.S. This gives me a U.S address that the bike is shipped to and then they ship it on to me....for a fee...and then there would be import taxes on top of that i would assume. Never tried this. Dont even know if its worth it. With Giant though i cant even get a bike shipped from interstate, and have to use a local dealer i.e. in store pickup. Can be a little annoying when you see a super deal interstate on the net.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by fontarin View Post
    It's worse on the upper end models. I checked a while back (it might have changed recently), and the top of the line Anthem was about 6k US in Aus, and it's 8.2k US here.
    I dont think the US even carries the trance Advanced 27.5 2 (for whatever reason?). But i do know last year the 2013 X0 trance 29 was about 500$ cheaper here than in the U.S. While the x1 was very similar in price. Did notice that some people on this board from the US remarked they had more 'wiggle' room with the dealer on the X0 version than the x1. I would say, based on that, that the wiggle room on the anthem adv 27.5 0 version would be rather large in the U.S since the price difference is approx 8200 US vs 6800 au.

I think the take home message may be: if you buy giant in the US then check Au pricing just to judge how much wiggle room you may have on particular models

dwt
    mtbr member

Here's an idea: Southern Hemisphere summer is Northern Hemisphere winter. Why not a mtb trip to AU in January, buy a bike, then ship it back? Lot of Aussies on MTBR who could recommend where to ride or a tour company to hook up with.
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Or Quenstown New Zealand. Same pricing.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dwt View Post
    Here's an idea: Southern Hemisphere summer is Northern Hemisphere winter. Why not a mtb trip to AU in January, buy a bike, then ship it back? Lot of Aussies on MTBR who could recommend where to ride or a tour company to hook up with.
    LAX to Christchurch, Auckland and Sydney is about $1600 minimum in January advanced purchase round trip. Or you can buy from a local dealer and get good support.

dwt
    mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by GSJ1973 View Post
    LAX to Christchurch, Auckland and Sydney is about $1600 minimum in January advanced purchase round trip. Or you can buy from a local dealer and get good support.
    Thx mate. Where dya live?
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Denver Colorado currently, but I'm in and out of LA a lot.

ijd
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I don't know how much shipping/postage would be from Australia to the US. I did buy a frame from the US and had it shipped to Australia. I got a car importer/car parts importer to ship it in one of their containers and it only cost me $80.