mtbr member

Ardent vs. NeoMoto?

Anyone able to compare the Ardent 2.25 and NeoMoto 2.3 as back tires? They look pretty similar with ramped center knobs and decent side knobs. According to the tire size thread, the Ardent is a little bit bigger? Wondering how rolling/speed and grip compare-hoping to find something that feels a bit faster than the NobbyNic 2.35 on my Turner while still offering good grip. Thanks!
    Last edited by SteveF; 09-19-2013 at 07:30 AM.

jrm
    mtbr member
    I thought the ardent felt slow and the neos volume was kinda low. Im rolling a wolverine in back and NN up front on the burner and like it. The one time i rode the combo in the wet it seemed to work pretty well. The wolverine slipped out a couple of times and i had to be careful not to turn the NN on top of or the back of roots/rocks and the like.
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

mtbr member
    The Ardent is narrower than I would like. For rear tires, I like lower profile stuff that it easier to break free if I need it to so I run low-knob stuff like the Slant6.

For rear, I would go with sidewall and the Ardent wins there. If you want to go on pure size, I would say the Neo has a wider actual lug profile. The Ardent side knobs are closer to the centerline of the tire than I like.

mk
    trailwerkssuspension.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I just switched rear tires from Neo 2.1 to an Ardent. I currently run neo 2.3 up front, but find the bigger tire to be overkill out back.

They perform pretty similarly...the biggest differences i perceived in the Ardent was that it rolled slightly slower than the Neo, and with slightly less grip than the Neo in loose-over-hardpack situations. Also the Neo side-knobs feel more solid when the bike is leaned way over.

Like I said, these are small differences. I'm definitely happy with the Ardent. Wouldn't run it as a front tire though. If price and availability were equal, i would choose Neo 2.1 every time.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the perspectives. Hadn't thought of the Wolverines on my Burner. I run them on my Curtlo "fast" bike, but the Burner is more my "do stupid stuff" bike so I like a more aggressively knobbed tires on there. Sounds like the NeoMotos are still the ones to beat!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I got much more life out of the Neo though I did patch two nicks to the sidewall. I found the neo tread aged better than the ardent. The ardent seemed really good initially but performance dropped off pretty fast where the neo was still hooking up pretty well even when it looked like it was done.
    I'd have scored them similar in rolling resistance.

I had the EXO sidewall on the ardent and I liked the sidewall and "feel" of the tire generally but the tread became sketch too quickly for much of my terrain. (east coast polished rock and roots)

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Good stuff in here. I'm searching for something to replace a Nobby Nic that wore out so fast I just can't believe it. Never seen a tire wear that quick.
    Leaning toward the Neo Moto and wishing there were more options out there.