No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005

Arch EX feedback

I have a lot of experience with Stan's rims and quite like them. I have typically run the old-style Flows on my AM bikes and had great success with them. I run Flow EXs on my DH bike.

Can I keep the Arch EX alive in a custom build by Speed Dream?

I'm 190 pounds and ride Arizona rocks. These would be on my Bronson. I'm really looking to drop as much rotating weight as I reasonably can and still have confidence. Thoughts?

it's the ride....
    May 2004
    Same here. Best guessing if I can survive with Arch EX instead of Flow EX.
    I run old Flow on my 26" 6.3" AM bike. I wonder if Arch EX can hold up on 650b set up with 150mm travel. And if narrower rim will limit the tire choice too much.
    I am 145 lbs though..
    Ulating blencong sejatine tataraning lelaku...

Hard funkin´ Kraut
    I´m 90 Kilos full geared and riding various Terrain on my 650B Spitfire, therefor I wanted a Wheelset that can handle everything - light, stiff, durable and ready for the big upcoming Tires. My Wheel-Builder recommended me not to go with the Arch EX and so took the WTB Frequency i23, alternative to the FlowEX. With superlightweight Tune-Hubs my Wheelset is 1711 Gramms and I´m very pleased with it. But much depends on the Build-Quality - so the Arch EX maybe can hold on the Abuse of rocky Terrain ...

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I use the EX Flows,I did not feel the Arch would be up to par for the east coast rocky knar,plus I like to jump and drop and the Flows have held up and performed flawlessly!I too am at 190lbs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I'm running LB Carbon hoops on my Carbine but spent all last season on a Spitfire with Arch Ex wheels (albeit 26" version) and they held up great. Worked them hard on East Coast with transition drops of 3-5' (gave up dropping to flat 7 years ago). Also spent a day at Burke in VT downhilling on these and rode the Red Tail trail in North Conway on them. Very durable/fast rim, I'm about 175 lbs.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Thanks for the input. I guess the bottom line question is the overall strength of the new Arch EX in comparison to the older Flow (not EX version). As I said, I've run multiple sets of the non-EX Flow rims and had nothing but success with them.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Well, I'm taking a chance. I'm fortunate to have Dave Thomas at Speed Dream wheels here locally to discuss with. He's built multiple wheelsets for me and is familiar with my riding style.

His input is that I can probably keep the Arch EX alive with a solid build. So, my upcoming wheelset is a set of Arch EX laced to some blingy new Project 321 hubs. I'll be running the HR2 up front and giving the Ardent exo a try in the rear until some Continental tires come out.

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    Well, I'm taking a chance. I'm fortunate to have Dave Thomas at Speed Dream wheels here locally to discuss with. He's built multiple wheelsets for me and is familiar with my riding style.

His input is that I can probably keep the Arch EX alive with a solid build. So, my upcoming wheelset is a set of Arch EX laced to some blingy new Project 321 hubs. I'll be running the HR2 up front and giving the Ardent exo a try in the rear until some Continental tires come out.
    Cool! Was hoping for some carbon hoops though. You riding SOMO Sunday? Would love to check out your Bronson.

Bob

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Bob: Maybe. I've got some work stuff this weekend, but hoping to get away at least once. Might more likely be PMP, though, as that's much closer to home. I'll let you know, though.

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    Bob: Maybe. I've got some work stuff this weekend, but hoping to get away at least once. Might more likely be PMP, though, as that's much closer to home. I'll let you know, though.
    I hear ya. Kids swim meet might mess with my mojo, but the hot temps mean I am usually home well before 8am. One of these Sundays...

Bob

Hard funkin´ Kraut
    ... His input is that I can probably keep the Arch EX alive with a solid build ...
    Yes, I think Spoke-Choice and Build-Quality has much Effect on the Rigidity.

Wrench
    I beat my Crests around Austin and it's been nothing but sturdy. I weigh 175 pounds.

I wouldn't hesitate beating Arch EX rims around.

Remember, spoke choice is just as important as rim choice.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    To follow up with some actual numbers, weighed by me on a zero'd digital scale. Stock removals from a brand-new Bronson aluminum with the low-end RAM27 kit.

Maxxis High Roller II, 27.5x2.3, exo grid TR casing, tire #1: 884 grams

Maxxis High Roller II, 27.5x2.3, exo grid TR casing, tire #2: 875 grams

Stock WTB TS i23 front wheel with Shimano 15mm hub, including yellow tape and tubeless valve: 998 grams

Stock WTB TS i23 rear wheel with Shimano SLX 142 hub, including yellow tape and tubeless valve, and the conversion kit since this hub is centerlock for some reason: 1205 grams

Picking up new wheels today and will follow up with updated weights and photos tonight.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Subscribed....Should be an interesting transformation. Thanks for detailed weights.

Had you considered the Pacenti TL28 rims? Slightly wider the the Arch EX (same as the old Flow) and the same claimed weight @ 420 grams and eyeleted. It's a nice rim.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I did. I sent an email inquiry to customer service at bikelugs.com on Monday and never received a reply. Additionally, I wanted the wheels quickly, so it was either the Flow EX or Arch EX.

mtbr member
    I'm @ 200 lbs and have been riding ARCH's on my 29r for last 2 years. Zero issues. Will probably be building the Bronson with Flows though. The profile of 2.35 HansDampfs seems different on my Arch than on my Flow. Nothing wrong with the stock WTB hoops either but can't get them on the hubs I want, so I'm about 80% gonna go Flow. Interested in what others go with though.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Bling is in the house. Black Arch EXs, black Project 321 hubs (with I9 rear driver), black spokes, blue nipples, built by Speed Dream wheels.

Front wheel: 817 grams with yellow tape and valve.

Rear wheel: 1001 grams with yellow tape and valve.

High Rollers went back on until my rear Ardent Exo gets in. Tires were much, much tighter on the Stan's rims. Shakedown run tomorrow morning on National. Until then:

photo (16) by dbozman1173, on Flickr

photo (15) by dbozman1173, on Flickr

photo (13) by dbozman1173, on Flickr

photo (12) by dbozman1173, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    They look flexy

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Looking good, I like the blue nips (I have blue/silver alternating on my Flows).

So you saved 181g front and 204g rear for total of 385g which = .85lbs.

Looking forward to a ride report before and after the new rear tire.

mtbr member
    FWIW, the 650b Ardent EXO has been an awesome rear tire...used and abuse, and has held up really well. Easy tubeless on original Flow rims.
    I run them front & rear, only because the HR2 would be tight in my 26" Fox.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Ride report. 6 a.m. start, about 85 degrees and full sun. The route: Up National Trail to the waterfall and back down.

Bottom line: The wheels are still in one piece and true.

More verbose version: I'm about 90% happy with my choice here. The relatively small loss of rotating weight was really obvious on this bike. Calling it transformative might be pushing the meter, but it did make a clear improvement on the bike's climbing.

I noticed no change at all in descending.

This was with both High Roller II tires installed, tubeless, 25psi front, 28psi rear.

My only real concern happened a couple times on the climbing, when I felt just the smallest amount of flex in the rear. Based on the situation (typically rear tire on steep rock face, significant torque being applied), my suspicion is not wheel flex but sidewall/tire flex from a biggish tire on a relatively pinner rim.

My Ardent exo should be in today, so I'll get that swapped on for Sunday's ride.

The Project 321 hubs are something. I've owned multiple Hadleys, Kings and high-end DT hubs, but never experienced anything like the I9 driver in this rear hub. It's like a swiss timepiece, so precise whenever you have to ratchet pedal (which we do a lot in our environment), the driver is right there, no lag. Pretty incredible. They are a little loud, though. I don't mind it, but others might.

Some dirty post-ride pics.

photo (20) by dbozman1173, on Flickr

photo (19) by dbozman1173, on Flickr

photo (18) by dbozman1173, on Flickr

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Got the new Ardent Exo in and installed today. About 150 grams lighter than the HRII. Hopefully it's tough and rolls well. Will find out in the morning.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Just wanted to follow up on this. Been running this wheel and tire setup for about two months and it's still going strong.

Though the Bronson isn't my only rig, it is my go-to and gets most of my riding time. I have not been kind to these wheels; my riding style/terrain are the same as always. Aside from the rim width, I don't notice any performance difference between these Arch EX and older Flows. Though the rims are scratched and pitted from rock strikes, they're still as true as the day I installed them.

Once I moved down to a smaller tire in the rear, no more tire squirm issue.

Overall, I'm quite pleased with my choice.

mtbr member
    yeah the stock wheels weigh almost as much as my stock 29er set. I am gonna get some ztr arch ex 650s and I think I could drop a pound pretty easily. that is definitely noticeable when spinning up.