mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Apparently the Rumors Are True

Well, I was hearing a great deal about how much faster and more nimble the 27.5 wheels were, so I got curious. I stumbled across a pretty good deal on Craigslist and decided to pull the trigger. I normally ride a Niner Rip 9, which I love, but I scored a carbon fiber 3x10 27.5 hardtail. I have to be honest, that thing runs like a scalded cat. Every ounce of energy into the pedals is immediately translated into SPEED. I rode with the same group I normally ride with, and was several times WAYYY out front. So much so I had to stop and wait. I can honestly say, that at the end of the ride, I felt much less fatigued than I am accustomed to. It is always fun to ride, but this was an entirely different experience. IMHO, you can take all the hype to the bank, because it's true. Your experience may vary! (But I doubt it.)
    Without heroes, we are all plain people, and don't know how far we can go. Bernard Malamud

Norđwegr
    Sure some of that doesn't attribute to it being a hardtail compared to the rip 9 full suspension?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Apparently the Rumors Are True

No kidding... You're comparing a 30lb full suspension 29er to a (likely) 25lb hard tail 27.5" bike. Of course it's going to be faster. What kind of trails were you riding?

Space Ghost
    OP, glad your stoked on scoring your new ride. I am 27.5 curious myself. But I do have to say that your positive experience might carry a bit more weight if your regular ride was a 29er carbon hard tail. A little more apples to apples. In a couple weeks, Giant will be doing a demo at my local trails. I have been riding a Trance X 29er for over a year and am interested in demo-ing a 27.5 Trance X to compare. Enjoy the new ride, and keep smoking your riding group.
    "No good deed goes unpunished"

The White Jeff W
    Probably some new bike adrenaline mixed in there too.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    This does not compute, sorry try again

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Wow...imagine what a 26" wheel must be like!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rydbyk View Post
    Wow...imagine what a 26" wheel must be like!!
    The next big thing, no doubt!
    Blur LT & Highball

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Or maybe the group got tired of hearing how great the 27.5 bike is and decided to drop back quite a ways to enjoy the ride more. I'm joking!

On an unrelated note I've been on group rides where some will hang out in back just to skip the new bike frame material/wheel size/Strava rant of the adrenaline fueled racer boy up front justifying their purchase. Then the next ride I make sure to break race boy's legs and ego on every aspect of the trail to make him wonder if he paid too much for the new bike.

mtbr member
    you guys replying to Scooter make it sound like the RIP 9 must really stink

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    No what a bigger rumor is? It's that 29ers are the best for xc. 29ers may be the best for some, 26ers for others, I found that 27.5 is far superior to the other sizes for me and that's all that matters. If you like the size, go with it, it's what you like, if it works for you, then you made the right choice.