Mr. Knowitall

Anyone thought about/tried a 76-er (650b front) for AM riding?

I am thinking of a lot of things to ensure that I have a as tuned ride as possible, and I like the idea of good traction up front (650b > 26"), slack head angle (larger front wheel ) and having new sh1t.

Not all bikes can be converted, but some have the geo I like, and I think of having a 650b front - at least as an option.

Thoughts/experiences?

For reference: the idea came up when I saw the "Tuned Enduro bike" test in German Bike Magazine, where a Liteville 301 MK11 76-er won the grand prize.

(sorry for double posting, as I have one thread a bit similar in the Enduro/Super D category. I thought this may be a better forum for this topic)

mtbr member

Anyone thought about/tried a 76-er (650b front) for AM riding?

Yes, many people have done it. That was the common upgrade path most people went down when we first started fiddling w/ 660b a few years ago. Probably the most common comment was along the lines of "Front tire - big, noticeable improvement. Rear tire - more subtle improvement."
    I still switch between 26 & 650b on the rear of my bike depending on situation. With the 26 it's a little more slack and snaps in and out of corner's a little quicker downhilling, and I can run a fat-ass tire and enjoy some mud clearance. The 650b climbs and rolls better, and doesn't really give up anything DH, other than the max tire size possible in my case, which limits how aggressively I can charge into some rock gardens.... And the extra grip, stability, and rolling of 650b does encourage some charging.

Mr. Knowitall
    Ok, thanks. I was thinking of having a 650b front for enduro racing and more demanding descents, and a lightweight 26" set for longer, easier "XC" rides in the "back yard" to keep things low in the weight department as well as height wise. Then I only need one new front wheel (and PIKE, as my Lyrik has no clearance :/ )

NedwannaB
    Search?......

Yeah alot have done this initially as posted above. You're only drawback to benifit in AM riding will be the size of an aggressive tire that you can fit in a non 650 fork. If the Pike you mentioned is 650 specific you'll be good to go running some of the bigger tire offerings.
    Last edited by JMac47; 08-20-2013 at 08:14 AM. Reason: typo
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

Mr. Knowitall
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Search?......
    Yup, but couldn't find a suitable search string...
    Yeah alot have done this initially as posted above. You're only drawback to benifit in AM riding will be the size of an aggressive tire that you can fit in a non 650 fork. If the Pike you mentioned is 650 specific you'll be good to go running some of the bigger tire offerings.
    (Un)fortunately my Lyrik cannot fit a 650b tire of mentionable size, so a PIKE or Fox 34 (with AVA) are good candidates. It is unfortunate, as I just fitted an AVA cartridge to my Lyrik, and that has to stay there - and it is such a shame to sell a fork just upgraded for a great amount of cash...

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    B6er and B9er bra.
    '10 Marin MountVision 650b conversion

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by hssp View Post
    Yup, but couldn't find a suitable search string...
    (Un)fortunately my Lyrik cannot fit a 650b tire of mentionable size, so a PIKE or Fox 34 (with AVA) are good candidates. It is unfortunate, as I just fitted an AVA cartridge to my Lyrik, and that has to stay there - and it is such a shame to sell a fork just upgraded for a great amount of cash...
    Well, since you mentioned switching back and forth from 26-650, and we out here on the Interwebz like to spend others $$, you can get a fork for both applications and be good to go with one bike on whatever trail adventures you wish!

Mr. Knowitall
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Well, since you mentioned switching back and forth from 26-650, and we out here on the Interwebz like to spend others $$, you can get a fork for both applications and be good to go with one bike on whatever trail adventures you wish!
    yeah - but - I think I won't bother to change forks... I am not THAT desperate having all sorts of stuff to be used

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Yes, I ride an Ibis Tranny SS in this configuration, along w/ a Niner rigid carbon fork. One consideration with a FS bike, however is that the different wheel sizes will change the rider bias rearward, which affects the suspension rate. Best to go 650b f/r in that scenario, I think.

NedwannaB
    I'll soon find out, as my converted 140mm fs frame will be back together with 26" in back/650 front.

Mr. Knowitall

Re: Anyone thought about/tried a 76-er (650b front) for AM riding?

Quote Originally Posted by buggymancan View Post
    Yes, I ride an Ibis Tranny SS in this configuration, along w/ a Niner rigid carbon fork. One consideration with a FS bike, however is that the different wheel sizes will change the rider bias rearward, which affects the suspension rate. Best to go 650b f/r in that scenario, I think.
    It will not be any different from fitting a longer fork. And people do that on a lot of bikes