mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Anyone running Ardent 2.4 on their trail rig?

Looking to try some Ardents 27.5 x 2.4. Currently usuing DHF and DHR of the 2.3 variety. I want some faster rolling tires that are good allrounders.

honez1414
    Jan 2011
    Not sure of 650b availability but I roll a 29 Ardent up front and a minion in back. Love the combo. Ardent looks massive and aggressive but I've never felt like rolling resistance was an issue. It's also held up for at least 1500 miles. No rocky terrain where I'm at.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    The Ardent 27.5 x 2.4 are available but are hard to find. I should be able to get them by spring.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    ?? Hard to find?? I've been running one on the front for months. 27.5x2.4 Exo TR. Art's Cyclery has them in stock. It's my preferred front tire for both 650b and 29er, though it's not my favorite for the rear.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Hard to find in Canada.

mtbr member
    Universal Cycles has them in stock and international shipping. I have a 2.4 Ardent front/ 2.2 Ardent Race rear combo. I don't like the Race version at all, but the front is awesome!
    The cake is a lie.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I had the Ardent 2.4 as a front tire. I didn't like it. I replaced it with the High Roller II 2.3, a completely different beast. To me, and there are different opinions, it felt sketchy when cornering hard with weight forward. Also, with that size run tubeless, I didn't feel like I had less rolling resistance with that tread. Quite the contrary, I felt like Sisyphus on most ascents. Needless to say, it didn't feel nimble on the tight, technical stuff and was not confidence inspiring at speed.
    Some people love this tire. I don't get it. $0.02.

It's working!
    I just went with the 29r2.4 Exo. I have them mounted tubless but unfortunately only have had one short ride on them. I broke some ribs in a crash a couple weeks ago and only ventured out once since. On a short ride this is how I compared them to the 2 1 Ground Controls they replace.
    Noticeably heavier and slower on the road to the trail. They stick like glue in damp dirt and loose mud on damp dirt. Better even than I expected. Gravel was the same. Much better grip even than I anticipated. But they did feel slower. Not an issue for me as I ride for excersise and am not racing. On a rooted, rocky single track they ate everything up better than my previous rubber. They tend to grab and hold on wet smooth rock with much less side slip than before.
    When I first hit the trail these felt very hard and I assume they will take some breaking in but I dropped my air pressures to 18psi and this is when all the good stuff I saw happened. Seems to me any more than that and they just didn't conform to the surfaces I was riding on. I ride a 2013 RockHopper Expert.
    Oh yeah I bought them at my LBS in Kitchener On Canada. PM me for location if you live around here.

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    one thing to consider, not about the Ardent but a general thought based on my experience. Every time I strive for less rolling resistance up front I've paid for it with some reduction in cornering grip. And, it is VERY hard to give up cornering grip up front once you are used to it. messes with you mentally for sure, and may also cause a few low side crashes. The DHF super tacky happens to be my favorite front tire for my riding conditions and style but as I said, its not about specific tires, just something to consider. I've got a basement full of slightly used tires that would have been awesome had I not already been spoiled by the DHF super tacky.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten." - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Just swapped my 2.35/2.20 Ikons for 2.4/2.25 Ardent with EXO. First ride I had a sketchy turn down a fast flowy trail on a burm and saved it. Defiantly got my attention, but no issues since. Could have been that the tyre just needed to have the new tire glaze rubbed off, (who knows). Only a few rides on them so far, but do notice a better feel over choppy rocky terrain than my Ikons. Just feels like a beefier tyre which it is and seems to absorb more. I'm pleasantly surprised that even with adding a half pound of rolling weight I'm able to pull the same gear and cadence on the climbs, so for me a good rolling tyre.

It's all a trade off,,, if you want killer grip on the downs you will suffer more getting up there,, as is you will loose some grip to get better rolling resistance. Give them a try and play with tire pressure as every tyre has a sweet spot.

Keep on Rockin...
    On my M6 ran the DHF/DHR and like you wanted some faster rollers. Put on the Ardents 2.4/2.2 and found they rolled only a bit faster but gave no where near the traction of the Minions.

The Minions went back on after about 3 rides.

Got my Ardents at Arts Cyclery. They are like new. Want to buy them?

mtbr member
    I am currently running a 2.4 up front, the tire has very good traction. I have bought them from Arts and Bikerbob.
    2015 SC Tallboy C
    2013 SC TRC
    2014 Heckler
    2014 Bronson C

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    Put on the Ardents 2.4/2.2 and found they rolled only a bit faster but gave no where near the traction of the Minions.
    My Ardents are the 29er 2.25 ones. They were good at first. They have a few hundred KM's on them now, perhaps 1/2 the tread is used.

They don't perform very well now on wet trails or loose ground. The DHF Minion on the front is still going string and has lots of engagement in all trail conditions.

I can't go larger than a 2.25 (or 2.3 max!) for the back. What AM tire?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I have an Ardent 2.4" EXO on my Solo and love it... on the rear wheel. I had it on the front for a few rides, but it doesn't hold a candle to the HRII 2.4", which provides much better grip and traction and doesn't sacrifice much in the way of rolling resistance.

mtbr member
    I've been running Ardent 2.4 in front and Highrollers in the back for awhile now on a couple of bikes. Seems to work pretty well in SoCal .
    Four wheels move my body Two wheels move my soul

It's working!
    I have had more rides on my Ardents now. They are great. Awesome all around. I have not used Minions or High Rollers but these do everything I ride on very well.

It's working!

Re: Anyone running Ardent 2.4 on their trail rig?

Now that these are breaking in I have upped the air a bit. I tried the recommended pressure but it is definitely too high. I started at about 20front 18 rear but have settled on 23 front and 20 rear. They clear out very well too.