mtbr member

Anyone running 650b wheels in their 29er Frame?

Rather than trying to convert a 26er frame to 650b, has anyone tried going the other way?

What would be the advantages and disadvantages to doing this? Would it lower the BB height too much? Screw up the geometry? Do you lose some of the snappiness of the smaller wheel size (compared to 29er) with the bigger/longer frame?

I was just thinking that a new '09 DW-link Sultan built up with 650B wheels might just be the cat's meow....

'Calm Down'
    I know Rainman has tried it: 29er with 650B wheelset

My main worry, as you said, would be BB height.

jw

Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    Rather than trying to convert a 26er frame to 650b, has anyone tried going the other way?

What would be the advantages and disadvantages to doing this? Would it lower the BB height too much? Screw up the geometry? Do you lose some of the snappiness of the smaller wheel size (compared to 29er) with the bigger/longer frame?

I was just thinking that a new '09 DW-link Sultan built up with 650B wheels might just be the cat's meow....
    -

"And single-speeding 29ers are mountain biking's equivalent of Scientologists..." - Captain Dondo

mtbr member
    I think people are reporting that 650bs work with the newer Ibis Mojo SL frames.

So you'd still have the dw-link, and you'd have a frame that probably would be more suitable for conversion bottom bracket and sag-wise at least.

No?

mtbr member
    I will be running them on my Nine solo this weekend, as a test.

www.derbyrims.com
    Hey K, The 650b tires available now are .75 inch less radius than a 29'er. And .5 inch greater radius than a 26 tire of the same width.

You can see what the BB height change is by that. The DWL Sultan has a low BB already, listed on the web site as 13.4 with 2.2 tires. 12.65 BB height would be too low for me.

The shorter 650b wheel than 29 would shorten steering trail using the same fork and tighten steering slightly also. Going from a 26 to 650b the steeing feels slightly slacker, but almost unnoticable unless 650b is used on the front only where the head angle is also slacked by .5 degree.

I liked the 13.5 to 13.75 BB on my old 4 inch travel Tracer, depending on link adjustment. I'm in the vast minority, but I think the new 5.Spot and Mojo BB's are too low at 13.4 with 26x2.3 tires (both bikes have the exact same geometry and dimensions in the large size that fit's me).

I've got 650b on my Mojo and its about 13.75 now, just right in my opinion for 5.5 inch travel to be able to use deep sag and still have good pedal clearance.

mtbr member
    Thanks Ray. That makes sense. I figured there was a reason folks weren't doing that.

Maybe I'll build up a 650b front wheel for my HH100x. See how it rolls.... According to the fork fitment guide on this forum, my '04 TALAS should clear it fine. Then I'll be that much closer to a 650b conversion for whatever I buy to replace it..... (if I don't get a Sultan).

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hey Krob, keep us posted on your HH100X front wheel conversion. I too have a HH100X and have been wondering how the 650B would effect the handling and such.

I also have a 29er steel hardtail that I really like, but I do see some weaknesses in the big wheel too. If you could "marry" the HH100X 26er and the 29er hardtail, I believe you would have one awesome 650B XC tech machine.

FWIW, I did ask Titus if they would be willing to make me a custom 650b RacerX for me, and the answer was "not at this time." The rear triangle would have to be completely redone I bet, which would be a challenge for some companies. I also asked Pivot, and they were definitely interested in 650B, but were waiting on fork manufacturers to step up to the plate.

Candidly, I'm not sure if I really want to buy another 26 duallie, so I'm probably postponing any new mtb purchase until 650B makes it into the duallie world. The el Bastardo looks good, but I want something alittle racier. Maybe I'm wrong about that, but I don't hear anyone talking up the EB for racing.

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Quote Originally Posted by Rideon

Candidly, I'm not sure if I really want to buy another 26 duallie, so I'm probably postponing any new mtb purchase until 650B makes it into the duallie world. The el Bastardo looks good, but I want something alittle racier. Maybe I'm wrong about that, but I don't hear anyone talking up the EB for racing.
    I bet Ventana could build you a 650B version of their 4" travel El Saltamantes for racing....

http://www.ventanausa.com/frame_elsaltamontes.html
    “Those that say it can’t be done should get out of the way of those doing it.”

Pacenti Cycle Design

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    Maybe I'll build up a 650b front wheel for my HH100x. See how it rolls.... According to the fork fitment guide on this forum, my '04 TALAS should clear it fine. Then I'll be that much closer to a 650b conversion for whatever I buy to replace it..... (if I don't get a Sultan).
    Kent, I suggest using a convertible front hub such as a Hope if your HH is quick release. You could then switch to 20mm axle and try the wheel on your other bikes.

Also with 650b front-only, lower you handlebars 1/2 inch and bump your seat forward and up slightly (to keep leg reach) to compensate for the 1/2 degree slacker frame angles. Otherwise with the higher head tube and without maintaining the prior fit over the pedals, your weight is shifted rearward on the bike and the handling change with the bigger wheel is exaggerated more by the weight center change.

I think your new Kolly would fit 650b. I haven't heard any reports of bigger travel bikes using 650b yet, but I sure imagine it would be an advantage for a climbable FR bike when used for AM. The Neo-moto is a pretty tough tire, the best AM tire I’ve ever ridden.

For shuttle and lift only downhill bikes I'm not so sure there is much advantage for 650b, those 2.6 to 2.8 tires are about the same diameter as 650b tires. A 650b double or triple sidewall 2.7 DH tire would be nearly 29 inch in diameter, nearly moto size- the swingarm would have to grow another inch - maybe too heavy to pedal downhill, or maybe it would take DH speeds to another level?

Recovering couch patato
    There are plenty 29"ers with sufficient BB height to work with 650B wheels and standard length cranks.
    It would be harder to find a defined reason to take 60% off the advantages you just gained over 26" , only to go back down to 650B. All the supposed problems with 29", will still exist in the frame.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    It would be harder to find a defined reason to take 60% off the advantages you just gained over 26" , only to go back down to 650B. All the supposed problems with 29", will still exist in the frame.
    That's a good point and kinda what I was wondering. I'm also kinda thinking that squeezing 650b wheels into a 26er frame creates the same dilemna but in reverse. Almost seems like it needs a specific frame sized just for the 650b to really feel right.

A Ventana El Fuego or Saltamonte 3-4" frame custom sized for 650b like Kirk suggested may be the ticket. I think with my Del-T purchase the El Bastardo is too much trail/am to be a good replacement for my HH.

I really liked a couple of the more XC type 29er's but still not totally sold on the bigger wheel size.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

... and if we just ...

I ran 650b wheels in my new felt nine pro...i really liked the bike better, it was quicker, spun up faster, and more comfortable for my little squatty body

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    i will be running a 29 front with a 650b rear on my frame.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    and i think i built it d-man..haha
    [SIZE="4"]greg goat[/SIZE]
    forces of nature cycling and outdoors
    816 279 1500

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Lol!!!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    now the real question is will a650b fir in a felt equilink frame..hmmmm