mtbr member

Anyone to ride one of the new Manitou 27.5 forks, for XC/trail?

I am intrigued by the new Minute and Marvel, would be a 120mm/tapered/15mm configuration. I would be considering this against a Reba or SID in similar specs.
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5

A picture is worth a thousand words...

You could say I "like" them. I have 5 Minute Pro forks and a couple Mattoc forks on the way...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone to ride one of the new Manitou 27.5 forks, for XC/trail?-minute-pro.jpg  

“Those that say it can’t be done should get out of the way of those doing it.”

Pacenti Cycle Design

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I love Manitou forks, I'm thinking about getting a new 27.5 fork to replace my 26er Minute Pro for some more arch and crown clearance. I'd need a 120mm 27.5 fork to keep the same geometry as my 140mm 26er fork but I think the correct clearance and offset will be worth it.

mtbr member
    Everything looks great for the Mattoc, except the AtoC. Can the travel be lowered below 140? I think I may be able to get away with 125-130, but stock, it would be to big a jump from my Fox with 1 1/8" straight / Zero stack HS.

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Quote Originally Posted by reformed roadie View Post
    Everything looks great for the Mattoc, except the AtoC. Can the travel be lowered below 140? I think I may be able to get away with 125-130, but stock, it would be to big a jump from my Fox with 1 1/8" straight / Zero stack HS.
    How big is "too big" a jump?

Pacenti Cycle Design

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Pacenti View Post
    How big is "too big" a jump?
    Current Fox 26" fork AtoC is 510. Using zero stack HS in tapered HT of Nickel.

Mattoc AtoC @ 140 travel is 535...plus I would need to add the stack height of an external 1 1/2 HS cup.

So, with my math, that is about a 35mm difference. I can live with a little less travel to maintain the handling. I have 125 rear travel.

BB height is just about perfect for my needs. I could go a little slacker up front, however, the two are both going to be impacted by a longer fork.

Maybe a shorter shock w/ the same stroke? I have an order into Push for a custom RP23. It hasn't shipped yet...

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Quote Originally Posted by reformed roadie View Post
    Current Fox 26" fork AtoC is 510. Using zero stack HS in tapered HT of Nickel.

Mattoc AtoC @ 140 travel is 535...plus I would need to add the stack height of an external 1 1/2 HS cup.

So, with my math, that is about a 35mm difference. I can live with a little less travel to maintain the handling. I have 125 rear travel.

BB height is just about perfect for my needs. I could go a little slacker up front, however, the two are both going to be impacted by a longer fork.

Maybe a shorter shock w/ the same stroke? I have an order into Push for a custom RP23. It hasn't shipped yet...
    Yeah, that's a pretty big jump... about 1.7* slacker HTA and 16+mm increase in BB height (roughly).

Pacenti Cycle Design

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Any feedback on the Marvel? Doesn't even have to be the 650b version. I just want to know how it rides and holds up. Also, is it comparable to a Fox, SID or Reba in the weight department?
    -Carlos

Flux

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Quote Originally Posted by los36 View Post
    Any feedback on the Marvel? Doesn't even have to be the 650b version. I just want to know how it rides and holds up. Also, is it comparable to a Fox, SID or Reba in the weight department?
    No experience with the Marvel, but if it is anything like the Minute, it should be an incredible fork.

Cheers,
    KP

Pacenti Cycle Design

mtbr member
    I think I have to buy a Mattoc just because they have video from Snowshoe. Gotta support the local scene, right? Good looking fork.

All the drops in the video are trail bike worthy. Hell, MikeyV was riding his stump fsr 29 on all that stuff but he's a mutant...

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery
    TrailWerks Suspension Service

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

mtbr member
    Thanks guys, when I'm in a position to upgrade the fork I will look hard at the new Manitou Minute and Marvel, excited to try something new.
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

just some guy
    Are these generally available online or in shops yet? I haven't seen anything...

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    The Mattock is expected to be available in December while the Minute and Marvel aren't expected to be available until early 2014 from I've gathered.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Any feedback on the Mattock? TIA!

Mike