mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Anyone ridden the new XTC 27.5 Advanced?

I got to ride the XTC 29er Composite and fell in with the ride (comfy) and the speed, but not the wheel size. I'm hoping the new 27.5 Advanced is as comfy a ride. Any impressions?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jazclrint View Post
    I got to ride the XTC 29er Composite and fell in with the ride (comfy) and the speed, but not the wheel size. I'm hoping the new 27.5 Advanced is as comfy a ride. Any impressions?

I just ordered one. I have a 29er but am not crazy about the handling...the handling is more like a 26er. I am only 5'7" .

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I rode it with silly race tires, Thunder Burts.

It was a really fun bike, a laid back race bike with that HT.

Comfy? No, not plush. It handled well when standing climbing, and descending was a blast with the weight and wheel size. More often airing over roots and rocks in VT then riding over them.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Hmm, no not plush. The XTC 29er Composite I rode wasn't plush, but not harsh either. A WAY better ride than aluminum at calm speeds. But when you put the hammer down it seemed to stiffen up. I almost didn't know it wasn't my carbon XC FS bike if the root/rock/etc was 2" or less. It made me like hard tails again. I was just wondering if the 27.5 maintained those traits or if the stiffer advanced carbon and wheels made it a harsher ride.

Thank you for the input.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I rode the Giant XTC 27.5 (0) Advanced at Interbike for a lap. I would have to say that I was extremely impressed with the ride.

It has amazing power transfer. Really, really fast response time. Pretty much as soon as you hit go it goes.

I wouldn't call it plush per-say, but for a hardtail it is very comfortable.

If you want to see my full thoughts on the Giant XTC 27.5 I did a full review on my site.

My biggest question after riding it was would it be better as a 29. Hard to say since I didn't get to ride both.
    When I'm not riding I help beginner mountain bikers learn new skills at Texas Mountain Bike Trails.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I rode one at a giant demo a few months ago and it is an awesome bike. I couldn't justify the cost so I build my own carbon hardtail for a fraction of the cost. (I'm referring to the high-end team version)

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by wu501 View Post
    I rode one at a giant demo a few months ago and it is an awesome bike. I couldn't justify the cost so I build my own carbon hardtail for a fraction of the cost. (I'm referring to the high-end team version)
    What frameset did you choose? The On-One Whippet looks like a good alternative.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by chemical_brother View Post
    What frameset did you choose? The On-One Whippet looks like a good alternative.
    I used a chinese carbon frame from ebay. I made a build thread about 2 weeks ago.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by wu501 View Post
    I used a chinese carbon frame from ebay. I made a build thread about 2 weeks ago.
    Awesome, will look up your build!
    When I'm not riding I help beginner mountain bikers learn new skills at Texas Mountain Bike Trails.

mtbr member
    I think the 27.5 3 looks just about perfect from a spec list for a bang for the buck build.

mtbr member
    I rode one on a demo day and didn't like the steep head angle. Also not a lot different from my 26" hardtail.
    Specialized Stumpjumper 2x9 | Kona Explosif Build Project

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I rode the advanced 0 at a emotional day and them bought the advanced 27.5 2. So far have really liked it. The ride is nice the carbon has some give so it is not overly harsh, but I am switching from full sus so that is different. Bike is fast, climbs and accelerates well.
    Coqui Cyclery Race Team
    Giant XTC 27.5
    Yeti ASR-SL