Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Doesntplaywellwithmorons!

Anyone else laugh at the latest stupidity from MBA in the april issue ?

I'm hoping it was a joke article on purpose otherwise they really need to fire all the existing editors and writers for essentially being morons.

They did a roll out test for 26, 650B and 29 tires, where they made a channel with some 2x4s to roll the tires along and measure how far they go in ONE rotation. Geee duh....couldn't you just get the same answer with basic math ? Circumfrence of a circle is the diameter multiplied by Pi. How hard is that? Don't have a calculator with the Pi button on it? Just go with 3.1415 (a 4 decimal value is good enough for measuring tire rollout). For that matter, it looks like they put the tape measure on the 2x4 ABOVE the channel and didn't account for that fact when measuring tires sitting IN the channel, so all the diameter figures are off by the thickness of the 2x4.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Anyone else laugh at the latest stupidity from MBA in the april issue ?

Yeah, I saw that too and got quite the chuckle.

ReeFride
    Nice use of Pi on Pi-day 3/14.....

mtbr member
    If they were to try to start calling the wheel sizes by their own ill-calculated "experiment", it would trump both "Killer B" and "Black-diamond bike" terms they have pushed in the past as far as stupidity.

Perhaps the most maddening aspect of MBA is their selective aversion to the metric system. Who is comparing tire weights by pounds?????

mtbr member
    what?? People still read MBA . . .

AZ
    banned
    Stupidity beyond the normal in the April edition? Say it ain't so.

workin' it Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty $anchez View Post
    Stupidity beyond the normal in the April edition? Say it ain't so.
    april? every year, since the beginning of MBA? Hmm...
    Try this: HTFU

banned
    Aug 2012
    GED writers were set free

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    I don't think MBA could write anything stupid enough to surprise me. That mag has been a sad joke for years now.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

NedwannaB

In all fairness to the MBA bashing

Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight View Post
    I'm hoping it was a joke article on purpose otherwise they really need to fire all the existing editors and writers for essentially being morons.

They did a roll out test for 26, 650B and 29 tires, where they made a channel with some 2x4s to roll the tires along and measure how far they go in ONE rotation. Geee duh....couldn't you just get the same answer with basic math ? Circumfrence of a circle is the diameter multiplied by Pi. How hard is that? Don't have a calculator with the Pi button on it? Just go with 3.1415 (a 4 decimal value is good enough for measuring tire rollout). For that matter, it looks like they put the tape measure on the 2x4 ABOVE the channel and didn't account for that fact when measuring tires sitting IN the channel, so all the diameter figures are off by the thickness of the 2x4.
    Firstly, different tire models have different overall diameters, so i.e. you'd just be picking an average number out of the sky for that to do the pi math, long, or shorthand with a calculator. And 'B', I believe they marked a center point on the 2x4 and lined up the valve stem vertically with it to which would give an actual full rotation point-point.

And lastly, if you look at all the micro-mm-math-o-matic breakdowns that are done on here with regards to the % of gear inch over the % of percieved tire growth based on variable rim widths and bead seatings vs PSI settings and seat/chainstay clearances. Considering all this I think they did a fairly simplistic test run to at least come up with a general offering of the difference between all 3 of the tire sizes.

And I think their consenses was 29ers FTW!
    Last edited by JMac47; 03-14-2013 at 02:37 PM. Reason: typo
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

workin' it Administrator
    Seriously? April Fools editorial. They do it every year for decades now. No math, no science, just a stupid fluff piece designed to evoke an "aw man they got me".

I'd say a lot of you got got.
    Try this: HTFU

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    And I think their consenses was 29ers FTW!
    So they concluded the 29er tire was bigger? How can I subscribe to that magazine? That is pure focking genius.

www.derbyrims.com
    I was wondering where they found such short tires!

I recently rolled out the circumference of a newly mounted 650b/27.5 x 2.4 Trail Taker, and it was consistently at 88 1/8 inch roll out measured 5 times, using a plum line alignment of the axle with the edge of an outer knob at the floor, on 28mm wide Blunt rims these calculate to 28.05 inches.

mtbr member
    The funny thing is that in the same issue, there is an excellent fork overhaul article.

Grams Light Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by reformed roadie View Post
    The funny thing is that in the same issue, there is an excellent fork overhaul article.
    That's because my buddy HB (HairBall - Greg Herbold) did the walkthrough!

jrm
    mtbr member
    MBA is the FOX News of mountain bike journalism. If you can call it that. Shiggy this surprises you?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm View Post
    MBA is the FOX News of mountain bike journalism. If you can call it that. Shiggy this surprises you?
    So MBA is the only rag with a conservative point of view? What facts do you have to back up such a claim?

Fred

They refuse to run ads for voodoo bikes because their parent company is owned by devout christians. This is a well known fact in the bike industry.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Their parent company (Hi-Torque) gave a lot of cash to the YES side of Proposition 8 in California - basically supporting marriage as a man/woman thing only...
    Plus the anti-metric thing is pretty backward ass, way to exclude most of the world.

jrm
    mtbr member

Doesnt have anything to do

Quote Originally Posted by RagerXS View Post
    So MBA is the only rag with a conservative point of view? What facts do you have to back up such a claim?

Fred
    With what idealogical side of the fence one net work is on or not on. It's that, like most of the other news networks there ran by large corporations that claim there news networks when there really infoentertainment outlets. But Fox did go to court in 03 in order to prove its 1st amendment right to conceal or distort information, claiming it's an entertainment network and not a news network. For the record i dont watch any of them and wont go into defending one over another b/c theyre almost all the same. We all have the right to agreeing to disagree.

Appellate Court Rules Media Can Legally Lie.
    By Mike Gaddy. Published Feb. 28, 2003
    On February 14, a Florida Appeals court ruled there is absolutely nothing illegal about lying, concealing or distorting information by a major press organization. The court reversed the $425,000 jury verdict in favor of journalist Jane Akre who charged she was pressured by Fox Television management and lawyers to air what she knew and documented to be false information. The ruling basically declares it is technically not against any law, rule, or regulation to deliberately lie or distort the news on a television broadcast.

On August 18, 2000, a six-person jury was unanimous in its conclusion that Akre was indeed fired for threatening to report the station's pressure to broadcast what jurors decided was "a false, distorted, or slanted" story about the widespread use of growth hormone in dairy cows.

The court did not dispute the heart of Akre's claim, that Fox pressured her to broadcast a false story to protect the broadcaster from having to defend the truth in court, as well as suffer the ire of irate advertisers. Fox argued from the first, and failed on three separate occasions, in front of three different judges, to have the case tossed out on the grounds there is no hard, fast, and written rule against deliberate distortion of the news.

The attorneys for Fox, owned by media baron Rupert Murdoch, argued the First Amendment gives broadcasters the right to lie or deliberately distort news reports on the public airwaves.

In its six-page written decision, the Court of Appeals held that the Federal Communications Commission position against news distortion is only a "policy," not a promulgated law, rule, or regulation. Fox aired a report after the ruling saying it was "totally vindicated" by the verdict.
    Last edited by jrm; 03-15-2013 at 10:28 AM.

Trailhead Poseur
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight View Post
    For that matter, it looks like they put the tape measure on the 2x4 ABOVE the channel and didn't account for that fact when measuring tires sitting IN the channel, so all the diameter figures are off by the thickness of the 2x4.
    I haven't seen this article, but if they are measuring horizontal rollout this way then it actually doesn't matter how high the tape measure is above the ground. The wheel is (for practical purposes) a rigid structure, Every point on it is going to move the same distance horizontally in one complete revolution. They could have a beam right at the same level as the axle, as long as it's parallel to the ground then the horizontal distance the axle moves is the same as the patch of tread on the ground.

I'll have to look for the article now, it seems like a perfectly valid way of determining actual real-world diameter to me, given the variability in tires. Measuring rollout is how you calibrate a bike computer, after all.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    jrm,

For the record, I agree with you that they are all about the business of info-entertainment - they need ratings so they can sell ads, and they do whatever they believe necessary to boost those ratings. I don't put a lot of stock in what any of them broadcast. The reason I responded to your post is because it singled out FOX News, and the only difference between them and the other broadcast media establishments is that they lean to the right while the rest lean left. But enough of the political B.S. Let's get back to discussing bikes and riding. I ride to de-stress so I don't want politics killing that off...

Fred

mtbr member
    MBA reviews by a consistant formula, some of which is good like the same geometry / component chart on the single reviews, those little sum up details allow me to find things out about frames when manufacturers like Intense include reach, stack and standover on the geometry charts but for the most part don't populate them. The bad part is that they appear to review from fear of loosing add sales; scared to express much in the way of negative impressions.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I just like the wheel size and am an advocate of fewer syllables in general.

Other MBA'isms that ignore bike magazine and industry conventions... giving gear ratios in feet of wheel movement instead of the long industry accepted standard of gear inches.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast