mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Anyone converted a DEAN Colonel 26er?

Hi guys,

I ride a DEAN Colonel 26er (2009) 1 x 6, custom made for a 120mm-140mm fork. It just so happens that my fork of choice on it right now is a 2009 RS Pike 454 coil U-turn (which from my trolling through this site is compatible with 650b). It is a basically a XC hardtail made to handle the rough technical So Cal descents and long climbs as well. Great all a rounder and almost perfect....

I like the quick, loose, responsive, bmx feel of my 26er, but am looking to "mellow" the ride a little. There is always that: "I am on the edge of going over the bars" feel to the bike in the rough stuff at speed. It seems like the 650b would be just the ticket. No interest in a sluggish 29er at all.

I emailed DEAN to see if they could comment but have not heard back.

So before I make the commitment to a new 650b wheel set, just trying to figure out if it will work, and work well. The chain stays are 16.75 I believe. Are there any tires to avoid with the Pike? I was thinking Navegal 2.1 front and SB8 2.1 in rear (tubeless).

Any input would be appreciated greatly.

Thanks,

JC

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004

Do some measuring.

Widest point on a 650b tire is somewhere around 345mm from the center of the axle. You need 55-60mm of room between the chainstays and seatstays at that point, as well as 360mm or so of clearance at the bridges. If you've got that, go for it!

FWIW, I do not remember my old Dean 26" frame having much tire clearance. So I would *guess* no go...but that was 10 years ago, so I have no idea what yours is like. I would not bother trying to get in touch with Dean - they have just about the worst customer service on earth. Luckily, you don't need their help...

You might also really enjoy just a front 650b wheel, I think. Maybe even more so than front+rear, given that it sounds like a slacker/taller front end, better front end rollover, and a bit slower steering is what you're after. That would be an easy/cheap way to try it out, too.

-Walt

Quote Originally Posted by MD Sleep View Post
    Hi guys,

I ride a DEAN Colonel 26er (2009) 1 x 6, custom made for a 120mm-140mm fork. It just so happens that my fork of choice on it right now is a 2009 RS Pike 454 coil U-turn (which from my trolling through this site is compatible with 650b). It is a basically a XC hardtail made to handle the rough technical So Cal descents and long climbs as well. Great all a rounder and almost perfect....

I like the quick, loose, responsive, bmx feel of my 26er, but am looking to "mellow" the ride a little. There is always that: "I am on the edge of going over the bars" feel to the bike in the rough stuff at speed. It seems like the 650b would be just the ticket. No interest in a sluggish 29er at all.

So before I make the commitment to a new 650b wheel set, just trying to figure out if it will work, and work well. The chain stays are 16.75 I believe. Are there any tires to avoid with the Pike? I was thinking Navegal 2.1 front and SB8 2.1 in rear (tubeless).

Thanks,

JC
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Hi guys,

Thanks,

JC
    I like Walt's idea of keeping 26" in back and trying 650b with the Pike up front if the bike currently feels like it may put you over the bars from time to time. You may have to make a few adjustments to saddle position and stem bar height, but those are easy adjustments to make.

For the record there is no Kenda Small Block 8 in 650b size at this time.

Cheers,

Mark

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Thanks guys!

Thanks for the very specific and helpful info.

I did the measurements on the bike and it would be way too close in the rear of the bike.

John from DEAN also promptly responded to my e-mail (kind of shocked) with a very thoughtful reply also thinking it was a no go.

I think the 650 on front is a great idea and potential compromise. My plan is to first go tubeless 26and put a little bigger tire in the front. If that does not tune things up enough then I will likely make a 650b wheel for the front.

Thanks again for your expert help.

JC

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004

No problem

Mark and I clearly haven't figured out this "internet" thing; we'll work on getting into a ridiculous argument with you next time. If we try hard enough, I think we can turn every thread here into a flame war about whether 650b is better/worse/will never catch on.

Bet you anything you love what adding a 650 front wheel does - let us know how it turns out.

-Walt

Thanks for the very specific and helpful info.

JC
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Cool

Yeah,

I was surprised when you two actually gave such thoughtful replies instead of making me feel like a complete idiot for asking the question, and such a spoiled brat for trying to spend money on my rig to make it better. (I say this in jest as I have actually gotten some really good advice from this site.....others have not been so fortunate I have seen)

You definitely need to get off the trails, pull up a chair, and work on your internet skills!

Best

JC

Crawfishy
    Jun 2004
    MD Sleep, I have '99 Dean that I know doesn't have the clearance in the back. I don't know if I could fit anything larger than a 26x2.2 back there.

I did however put a 650b up front. I am running mine rigid and mullet (disc front, V back). Here is a short thread MMcG started a while back that never took off. I put a pic in there: http://forums.mtbr.com/650b-69er-new...ry-660632.html
    "98% of us will die at some point in our lives" - Ricky Bobby