Team Captain
    Jan 2004

Anyone care to take a stab at this?

Ideas? Comments? Thoughts? I intend this only to provoke conversation about big wheels...

Edit: drunk image correction...
    Last edited by ScaryJerry; 11-11-2008 at 12:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    would a sip of scotch make a difference?

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    I'm actually thinking about converting my Prophet to 650B, I want to sip the low-sugar Kool Aid that is half-way between 26 and 29.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    not trying to be a jerk or anything, but there are about 945 posts chock full of conversation on big wheels in this forum alone. might i also direct you to the 23,389 or so posts on the 29er specific thread if 945 conversations aren't enough for ya.

Team Captain
    Jan 2004
    Alright, I take it no one is interested in the obscure tire size in the image I posted. Seems like everyone gets their balls in a know anytime anyone post a picture of some new or entertaining circus wheel size.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ScaryJerry
    Alright, I take it no one is interested in the obscure tire size in the image I posted. Seems like everyone gets their balls in a know anytime anyone post a picture of some new or entertaining circus wheel size.

LOL, there was and still is, no image in your original post.

Stiff yet compliant
    Only people logged into Bikeforums.net can see the image you linked.

Here ya go.

Whatever the special purpose of this bike is (time trial, speed record?), it really has no relevance to mountain biking.
    If I recall, the smaller front wheel is only to lower the front end of the bike for better aerodynamics.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    thanks!

now to the metaphorical stabbing....

i'd say whoever built that track bike, did it just so could say they did? mybe they thought it would be a good idea?

i'd like to know what size the front wheel is to get an idea of scale...

Team Captain
    Jan 2004
    Front wheel is a 26" to give some idea of scale. No clue what the real size of the rear wheel is, but it looks pretty massive! I wonder how it relates to a 36" wheel which seems to be the new thing for mountain bikes.

I am a pathetic rider...
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ScaryJerry
    ... 36" wheel which seems to be the new thing for mountain bikes.
    It is? 650B will come way before the outlandish geo requirements and wheels for 36'ers come in.
    Save the Earth, Ride a Cyclist

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    yeap, that's got to be close to 36" then.

i always, ALWAYS wanted one of those 36" coker monster cruisers...i don't think they make them anymore tho, just a 36" unicycle... http://www.cokercycles.com/home.php

bi-winning
    That's art more than a bicycle IMO.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    That's an old bike (check the 1-inch quill stem for example) and was probably a one-off from the aero-craze 20 or so years ago, or an event bike for an hour record attempt or something. Definitely purpose-built, not unlike special-purpose bikes today, time trial bikes, downhill bikes, etc. No real relevance outside their intended purposes and likely as much a styling exercise as anything.
    Last edited by SteveF; 11-12-2008 at 04:42 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    What happens when you hang off the saddle on downhills? I think Francesco just lifted the front wheel and let the rear roll over everything.

Registered Dietitian

"Anyone care to take a stab at this?"

"Anyone care to take a stab at this?"

-That's what she said! That's what she said! That's what she said!
    Registered Dietitian, Cycling Coach, E3: Elite Human Performance

www.e3ehp.com

Bike Dork
    OK, folks you might want to take a look at who Francesco Moser is and why this bike may have been built. Back in the day his goal was to push the envelope on what was possible to make a bike faster and more aerodynamic. His hour record bike cost something $70,000 twenty-five years ago. The bike pictured is just another experiment in seeing what can be done.

Birthday Collector
    Wasn't that the bike that he was trying to do the 1-Hour Motor-paced record on? BIG wheel so that he could be running at higher speed behind the derny and the front was a 650b or even smaller, to get closer to the rear roller... Gearing looks awfully high to be running for a standard Hour Record, but then again, Moser was a tractor...
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living
    http://www.endlesscyclesonline.com

nothing relevant to say

here's more

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    the only reason I babbled about converting my Prophet was because there was no picture in the original post and otherwise, the post made no sense.

Team Captain
    Jan 2004
    I'd love to know what the real rear wheel size is of that thing. It'd be interesting to see how a mountain bike performed with something like that on the rear end and a 29er on the front. Jeez, at that point, it might be like riding a unicycle with a stabilizer wheel up front

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    It'd be horrible off road...it'd be the exact opposite of where MTB geometry is going. We're going slack, and that thing is as far forward as you can be.

Meant for speed, that's all.