mtbr member

Any love for the foundry tomahawk 27.5?

I saw a prototype last week, and it looked pretty nice.

The Foundry Tomahawk 27.5 - XC Dirt Machine | Foundry Cycles

Any love for the foundry tomahawk 27.5?-tmhk_profile_lg.jpg

Uncle
    Looks like a quick handling XC race rig for folks that might not want 29" wheels. At 6' tall, I like my 29" wheels. But if my wife were more interested in riding, I'd consider it.
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I had a chance to demo one of these for the day. It was awesome. I didn't loose as much in roll over as I thought it might. The smaller wheels did make a difference in climbing and acceleration. The fit felt like a return home after a long time away. Descending on a 27.5 awesome! The bike feels a lot more balanced compared to a 29er. On my 29er I hung off the back of the bike and let the front end run a bit wider. Now I don't have to work as hard to flick the bike around and to get the front wheel to follow the path I want. The part I would have to play with for a while is getting the saddle fore and aft set correctly. I figure I just need a non setback seatpost for the relaxed seat tube angle.

Wrench
    Oh very nice. I like that. Stick a lighter wheelset/tire combo and I bet it rails!

One of these days I'll go to a carbon hardtail (from alloy). Maybe when I break my ride I'll take a look at Foundry. Their bikes seem pretty solid, and the ride reviews have all been positive.

mtbr member
    I've been eyeing Foundry as well. It looks like they make some nice bikes. I like their all business look with the flat black and shadow graphics.

I actually called them last year to see if they had a 650b HT in the works. They said they didn't so I bought elsewhere. They should've been quicker to the wheel size if they wanted my business.

mtbr member
    Nice looking bike, kind of looks like allot of the carbon frames on fleabay honestly, but if I was in the market for one I'd shop it before pulling the itchy credit card finger.
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

650b me
    (Yawn)...looks like a generic carbon HT. 71 degree head angle? No thank you.

Pedals
    Dec 2013

I have a Tomawak

I picked up a Tomahawk B3 about 6 weeks ago and I'll be blunt: I love the bike and am very happy w/it.

It's well balanced, very nimble, confidence inspiring and loves to go fast. Short of sounding like I'm selling these (which I'm not...I'm just a happy consumer) this is not a run of the mill/generic frame. It rides, climbs, and handles too well. And don't know if it's true or not, but the person who sold me the bike (and who I've known for a long time) says that the frame was designed by someone who's been in the frame building business for a long time here in the states.

As far as the handling, on a twisty fast trail I ride it's really easy to throw the bike around, dive into corners and accelerate out. I was wowed by how responsive the bike is).

And on the technical rocky trails I ride I've found it very easy to do track stands and to ride very slowly to pick a line. And I don't seem to get beat up too badly riding rough stuff at speed, either. And it loves to go up.

So you might be feeling that I'm pretty happy w/my Tomahawk. I am and encourage anyone to take one out for a test drive. You'll be surprised.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    My shop is one of the few Foundry dealers in IL and i can say that while they "look" like a Chinese carbon frame they certainly do not handle like it. I havn't gotten to play with any of their MTB's but the road and cross bikes are a pleasure to ride. Having the thru axle up front even on the road and cross makes the bike handle so well. If i hadn't just got the Jamis Nemesis Pro the Tomahawk would be my next choice, came down to available funds really.

just some guy
    Quote Originally Posted by kbessett View Post
    ...the person who sold me the bike (and who I've known for a long time) says that the frame was designed by someone who's been in the frame building business for a long time here in the states.
    They are owned by Quality Bicycle Products so, yes, they have been in the industry for long while. Quality Bicycle Products: Bikes, Wholesale Bicycle Parts, Wholesale Bicycle distribution

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by golden boy View Post
    71 degree head angle? No thank you.
    Haha, that's what I say when I see 67 HTA. 71 HTA on a 27.5 XC sounds like common sense to me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    How do the compare to the slacker XTC?

mtbr member
    They chinesse frames handle damn fine. And since the foundry looks for sure to be a chinesse frame i bet it does handle well.