Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Any info on Santa Cruz coming out with 650b blur xcc

hey everyone

as noted on a different thread here awhile back Santa Cruz removed their 26" blur from their website some time in the last couple of months...is this to make way for a 650b blur xcc? anyone heard anything about this at all?

I know you can convert the 26" model pretty easily, but was wondering about a dedicated 650b blur xcc

thx, matt

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    It's already been done: it's called the solo/ 5010.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    aw come on man...that's not the same...the solo has 150 up front 125 in the rear...the blur xc has 120/100 up front and 100 in the rear...plus different geometry...

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mforness3000 View Post
    aw come on man...that's not the same...the solo has 150 up front 125 in the rear...the blur xc has 120/100 up front and 100 in the rear...plus different geometry...
    The Solo definitely has 130 up front not 150, and you ought to test ride a solo before you write it off as not for you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Okay, I suppose it's possible. But are they really going to create a bike that is really similar to the solo AND has the same travel as their TallBoy?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    my buddy has a solo set up with 150mm of travel up front...but I see now that it's spec'd with 130mm...so I agree, it's pretty close to a blur xcc...just a bit more travel and a little slacker...thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I think it would be wise for SC to make a 27.5 Blur. The 5010 is not really a dedicated XC bike, its more of a light trail bike. I would also like to see a carbon hard tail from them.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    My two cents... I have a Solo and a Blur XCc (with 100mm fork). Two completely different bikes. Yes, the Solo can be set up XC, but it is more at home as a trail/AM bike. Having said that, the XCc is now relegated to my backup/race bike. I don't know if SC will build a 27.5 XCc, but I do see a market for it. Most folks will say just get a Tallboy for XC, but that's a different bike too, and a lot of riders aren't fans of the big wheels.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiendbear View Post
    My two cents... I have a Solo and a Blur XCc (with 100mm fork). Two completely different bikes. Yes, the Solo can be set up XC, but it is more at home as a trail/AM bike. Having said that, the XCc is now relegated to my backup/race bike. I don't know if SC will build a 27.5 XCc, but I do see a market for it. Most folks will say just get a Tallboy for XC, but that's a different bike too, and a lot of riders aren't fans of the big wheels.
    So just how much different is a carbon 50Lo built up xc compared to the 650B'd Blur XCc?
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Totally different bikes. Anyone that rode the blur TRc and XCc would tell you there is a big difference. The TRc/5010 is new school geo w slacker angles and geared towards trail and descending. Your far more likely to see one competing in an enduro than an xc race, especially among pro level riders. The XCc is more traditional geo and xc and xc racing designed. It handles very differently and there are lots of old school riders and racers that want that. I'm not one of them, but I know plenty of them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I have a solo and I love it- but I would 1st in line if they made a 27.5 Blur XC or a "medium boy".

mtbr member
    I would be up for the Blur XC c in 650B. My current blur frame has an issue and they are having difficulty locating a large frame now. I may be screwed out of my XC racer and forced to get a TRc. I will have to sell it and move away from SC. That sucks as I do not want another frame. I love my Blur as 650B. I think SC is missing out on a grand oportunity if they don't come out with a 650B 100mm travel frame. I would have to get a 650B fork but that would be the least of my worries. Come on SC, give us something to work with here!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    If the trend continues, SC will come out with a new 27.5 bike real soon. It seemed like they had a new bike monthly, a few months back.
    I'm too, hoping for a XC fs from them, not that my Blur XCc needs toto be replaced, just so people could see how awesome a bike it is, maybe lay to rest the rumor that 29ers are best for xc.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    "I think SC is missing out on a grand oportunity if they don't come out with a 650B 100mm travel frame"

+1

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    A 650b version of the Blur LT would be too similar to the Bronson (I've owned both). A 650b version of the Blur XC or TR would be too similar to the Solo. I think we've seen the end of the Blur line, unfortunately.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    A 650b version of the Blur LT would be too similar to the Bronson (I've owned both). A 650b version of the Blur XC or TR would be too similar to the Solo. I think we've seen the end of the Blur line, unfortunately.
    Back to my original post: Difference between the BXCc and Soloc would just be in the frame # of what 1/4lb-1/2lb? Granted the 5010 geo isn't "xc" per say.

usually cranky
    i would think the tb and 29sl will be it for xc weapons. imo sc already offers a lot of different models for a smallish company.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Hilarious, I got a negative rep for my comments, even though Bike magazine wrote in their review that the bike is for light trail and XC duties.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    The Blur Xcc and 5010c are totally different bikes. Maybe they appear the same, 5010 has a different geometry, beefier frame and a mount for a chain guide. I just built up a 5010 and haven't ridden it yet, but sitting next to each other you can see the major differences.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Jeff View Post
    The Blur Xcc and 5010c are totally different bikes. Maybe they appear the same, 5010 has a different geometry, beefier frame and a mount for a chain guide. I just built up a 5010 and haven't ridden it yet, but sitting next to each other you can see the major differences.
    With following your 650 BXCc love, curious to why you didn't jump over the 5010 up to a Bronson instead. Just looking for a trailbike?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by nyrdrms View Post
    My current blur frame has an issue and they are having difficulty locating a large frame now. I may be screwed out of my XC racer and forced to get a TRc. I will have to sell it and move away from SC.
    IF that's the case, want to trade?

Wrench
    Yep, and bike-mags are always correct.

The 5010 is not an XC frame. It's heavier and slacker and makes a fantastic bike for recreational use (Sans price tag!), but it's no Blur XCc.

I think SC will be coming out with an XCc in 650b soon enough. But the money is in "trail", "All Mountain", "Enduro", and any other buzz word you'd like to throw out there.

Didn't you guys get the memo? XC is booooring.
    Quote Originally Posted by saidrick View Post
    Hilarious, I got a negative rep for my comments, even though Bike magazine wrote in their review that the bike is for light trail and XC duties.

It's about showing up.
    I think a Tall Boy Carbon 27.5 would be the bomb. I liked it as a 29er. But I come from steel HT on boring XC. I just got an Anthem Advanced 1 and that is going to be one of those cold-dead-fingers things.
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Any info on Santa Cruz coming out with 650b blur xcc

I had actually exchanged email with Santa Cruz on the topic of a "TB w/ 650" a few weeks back. (XC style geo with short FS travel)

They said they are "always prototyping test bikes but we have no new models in this category coming at this time... Right now the TB is the only model in this intended use segment."

Not sure how precise they'd be if they *did* have something in process since I could have been a competitor, but I'd really really hate to buy a new bike to just barely miss a new model. Though I realize this happens to folks all the time and at some point we just need to pull the trigger.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -----------
    '96 Stumpjumper M2 FS
    This vintage bike and its "engine" are still goin' strong!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bootsie_cat View Post
    I have a solo and I love it- but I would 1st in line if they made a 27.5 Blur XC or a "medium boy".
    Medium Boy = superlight conversion.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast