mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Another review of my Giant Anthem Advance 27.5-1

So I have owned the bike for almost 3 weeks now. Put in some decent miles on it already (a little over 100 so far) and actually even got in a race as well.

Bike has made a huge improvement in my lap times on the local course I ride a majority of the time. After remembering to reset my tire circumference so my computer would work I finally started dialing in the suspension after having a nice lunch with one of the Giant Demo mechanics and my local mechanic for some starting points on the suspension.

My bike has the Fox fork and shock. My only complaint is that Fox does not print a preload gauge on the fork stanchion nor do they install a preload ring. Not a deal killer, I just used a zip tie and my digital dial calipers and Fox's measurements from their site.

So far my pressure (weight 205lb ready to ride) is 95psi in the front and 205psi in the rear. I have the rebound set to just slightly towards the slower rebound side as of now.

Now comes my "scientific test"...lol. On my old bike (2012 Specialized Epic 29'er) on my 11.5 mile test track my fastest time was 1h:01m and that was on a night ride following some really fast local riders I am friends with. Same course on the new bike in daylight hours I clocked in a 58m ride by myself. Lots of my friends grumbled that I drank the koolaide and was only trying to inflate the shop mgr's sales, not really the case. The bike was faster in the corners and was a lot easier to get going out of the corners and up hills vs my 29'er.

Went out today and laid down a 60m lap of the same trail, I just wasn't feeling it so I was really expecting my times to be higher, I was surprised when I saw the finish time.

I raced the bike last weekend, for my group (cat3 30-39) with 26 riders I ended up with a 6th place finish, prob would have done better but a new rider/racer got in front of us on the spring out of the gate and held me up for about a mile before I pushed around him, by then the leaders were a ways out.

I am happily pleased with the bike, going to keep putting miles on it and then sometime next year either buy a set of Stan's carbon wheelset or build a set (Stan's carbon rim with DT Swiss 240 or 180 hubs).

mtbr member
    Nice, do you know if the Fox fork on the 1 is adjustable to 120mm like the Rockshox on the 3?
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    To be honest I don't know.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If you are not racing the bike I highly recommend the fork at 120mm
    I have the rockshox recon so not sure if you can convert it, but it's worth looking into.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Re: Another review of my Giant Anthem Advance 27.5-1

Quote Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post

Now comes my "scientific test"...lol. On my old bike (2012 Specialized Epic 29'er) on my 11.5 mile test track my fastest time was 1h:01m and that was on a night ride following some really fast local riders I am friends with. Same course on the new bike in daylight hours I clocked in a 58m ride by myself. Lots of my friends grumbled that I drank the koolaide and was only trying to inflate the shop mgr's sales, not really the case. The bike was faster in the corners and was a lot easier to get going out of the corners and up hills vs my 29'er.
    Truth! That's what I found out on my old 26er FSR after riding the 29er all year. The 29er is just for training for setting PRs on my FSR lol. It's actually kind of amazing on how easy it is for me to be faster on the FSR. I found it easier to thread it through the twisty stuff and re-accelerate.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
    2012 Scott Spark 29 Team
    2013 Scott Scale 970
    2011 Scott Speedster S20
    1999 Specialized FSR Comp

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I race the bike so I don't want the fork at 120mm, it will cause the steering to slow down and to be honest I am really happy with the handling right now as it is out of the box.

We don't really have trails that can utilize 120mm suspension here in OK, most of our trails are just XC style trails, no down hills or major drops on the trails. Mostly switchbacks, climbs on trails with rocks and boulders in the trails and lots and lots of sand.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I got the wife to demo a Giant Lust 27.5 this weekend, went back by the shop and placed the order for he Giant Lust Advanced 27.5-2, should be here in about 2 weeks. She is pretty excited, so felt alot more comfortable on the 27.5 than on her Trek Marlin29'er, enough that she is considering racing next season in the Cat3 womens 29-39 group.