mtbr member

Another Nickel 650 Build

Well it took a while but I finally got the bike together. I paid $675 from a medium with the RL shock and it sat around while I collected parts. The inventory is as follows:

Fox 32 RL fork (non compression - mistake)
    XT cranks and shifters
    Formula RX brakes -I love them
    Crank Bros carbon bar - best bend and rise
    Thomson masterpiece seatpost with Ti hardware
    Thomson 70mm stem with Ti
    My old WTB seat - not light but I don't care, itís comfy
    Tioga flat pedals - I'm old and clip ins are no good for my knees, got to move around
    XTR lock-on hubs - I wanted silver hubs but only Hope has them and I have no experience with them. Also, they are 6 bolt and I like the lock-ons.
    Stans Crest hoops
    NeoMoto tubeless - my first experience with tubeless
    XT RD, XT 12-34 with 24/34 chainrings. Set up as a 9 speed.
    Sram XO FD 2 x 10 - seems to work OK but I have an XTR back up

I was surprised to weigh the frame with the RL and see it registered a massive 7.5 lbs. on my scale. However, the complete build out weighs 27.5 lbs which works fine for me.
    I have silver spokes, the grey/silver fork and other silver pieces on the bike because I am done with the black thing. Itís become real old and mud loves mat black. My former bike was a 26 Intense Spyder which weighed exactly a pound less with similar components. The BB height from the center of the BB to the floor is 13-7/8". That might seem high but I live just North of Boston, MA and riding over rocks and roots is a way of life. With the extra height I have new found confidence and attack sections that used to intimidate me. I only have about 50 miles on it but so far I am very happy. In fact, I am shocked how successful this experiment is. Even with just a 34 on the back it seems to roll up hills. I donít think I will need a 36. The bike is very agile in the tight stuff and goes down-hill with confidence. Itís as if the SC designed this to be a 650. I suppose in the perfect world the chainstay could be 1/8 longer the BB could be 3/16 less but I would never notice it. Itís a fun bike and my only regret is that I waited so long to put it together. You will notice that I routed the cables under the top tube like an Intense or a Blur. Why SC put all the braze-ons for down tube routing mystifies me; it makes for longer cables that can get caught up and just looks ugly. I am also not convinced about continuous cables without tension stops. If I did not love the color so much I would attack the brackets since there is a lot of extraneous metal there. Nonetheless I am very surprised and happy. I have absolutely no regrets and will ride through the winter and enjoy it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Another Nickel 650 Build-dscf0586.jpg  

Another Nickel 650 Build-11-27-12-069.jpg  

Another Nickel 650 Build-11-27-12-070.jpg  

Dissolved member
    Looking great John! Your cable routing makes a lot of sense, i like it. See you on the Orange trail soon! (when the weather gets better...)

mtbr member
    sweet build!!!!!

i like the cable routing. My frame will be here tommorow to start building. i might have the cable routed that way.

any problems so far with the cables like that??

mtbr member
    Very nice choice and Build, enough of this goes on and SC will have to re-issue the Nickel as the budget 650b TRc! LOL

(and ditto on the cable routing!) -sano!
    Last edited by Morpheous; 11-28-2012 at 10:48 AM.
    2012 SC NOMADc
    2011 SC Driver8 BikePark Sled
    2012 Surly Pugsly Fatty Trail/Dogrunner

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Nice. Considering the weight of the forks, and the overall weight of the bike, the frame probably isn't too heavy. What size Neomoto tires?
    Last edited by morkys; 11-28-2012 at 11:59 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vizsladog View Post
    sweet build!!!!!

i like the cable routing. My frame will be here tommorow to start building. i might have the cable routed that way.

any problems so far with the cables like that??
    None yet. Just be careful not to tie too tightly; leave something for the cables to move around. I can send detail pics if you want.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by morkys View Post
    Nice. Considering the weight of the forks, and the overall weight of the bike, the frame probably isn't to heavy. What size Neomoto tires?
    The medium frame came in at 7.5 lbs on my scale. That's with he RL shock. I have seen lower weights on this site. The tires are 2.1 and I am very surprised how well they grip and roll. I have always used Maxxis tires: Aspens for go fast and Ardent's for traction, but these work really great. BTW absolutely no clearance issues.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Looks really nice in the green and I'm liking that sliver/gray fork also. Cable routing is sweet although it looks like you could lose some length on a bunch of those. 27.5 lbs sounds great to me.

Boston area 650B riders seem to be on the rise. We should have a get together before the snow flies and we all get buried in. My group ride the other night 650B outnumbered 29'ers 3 to 2. Amazing.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

Dissolved member
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    Boston area 650B riders seem to be on the rise. We should have a get together before the snow flies and we all get buried in.
    I am in!

mtbr member
    Sounds like a great idea!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Morpheous View Post
    Very nice choice and Build, enough of this goes on and SC will have to re-issue the Nickel as the budget 650b TRc! LOL

(and ditto on the cable routing!) -sano!
    sano! ?????

Haven't heard that since I was reading "Dirtbike" mag when I was a wee lad and just twisted my grip to go.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by reformed roadie View Post
    sano! ?????

Haven't heard that since I was reading "Dirtbike" mag when I was a wee lad and just twisted my grip to go.
    Super Hunky days when he was editor? You go back that far?

Guy was soooooo funny. My sides would ache laughing at some of his editorials.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    Super Hunky days when he was editor? You go back that far?

Guy was soooooo funny. My sides would ache laughing at some of his editorials.
    Hell yeah. I got a MR50 and started riding dirtbikes when I was 5...which would be 1978. (My old man raced enduros all through the '70s and '80s)
    I used to read (and re-read) all the old "Dirtbike" mags when I was a kid to get my fix during the week...we only rode on Sundays. Which now I think is one of the reasons I like mountain biking - ride any day...or night.

You're right, Super Hunky was hilarious. Whatever happened to him? Is he still alive?
    I think I still read MBA because it has the same style/feel all the Hi-Torque mags have.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by reformed roadie View Post
    Hell yeah. I got a MR50 and started riding dirtbikes when I was 5...which would be 1978. (My old man raced enduros all through the '70s and '80s)
    I used to read (and re-read) all the old "Dirtbike" mags when I was a kid to get my fix during the week...we only rode on Sundays. Which now I think is one of the reasons I like mountain biking - ride any day...or night.

You're right, Super Hunky was hilarious. Whatever happened to him? Is he still alive?
    I think I still read MBA because it has the same style/feel all the Hi-Torque mags have.
    That's the reason I read MBA! Remember the GYDBT - Great Yellow Dirt Bike Truck?
    I must be your father's era. I raced AMA enduros for Husqvarna in the late 70's early 80's.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Lotsa great stuff here

Rick Sieman: SuperHunky.com

Well at 55YO I got a few years on you. I raced enduros for years and had visions of qualifying for the US Six Day team for a few years (just love that ISDE event) but the speed wasn't there. I still have a KTM 250 and a Gas Gas 300 enduro but the mtn. bikes are getting the majority of the love these days for similar reasons. I can ride from my house on the mtn bike day or night. Dirt bike is far more prep work/trailering and you need allot more miles of trails for a day of riding (unless it's a trials bike) plus land closures and licensing issues are making it so hard now.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    GYDBT - Great Yellow Dirt Bike Truck?
    OMG...the stories about that truck. Still makes me giggle inside. Great memories!

jrsbike...I was into enduro racing hot and heavy during those years (except I loved Penton then KTM). I'd probably recognize you name if you raced for Husky. Out of New England back then?

mtbr member
    I started riding out of Morel's Husqvarna in North Attleboro and did well in in the NETRA circuit. After college I raced in the Middle Atlantic States and the mid-west. That's when I started to do well and Husky lent me bikes for the AMA series and ISDT qualifiers. Unfortunately I never got the points needed to go to Europe which is one of the great regrets of my life. After a few years I started to lose my speed so I came back to Boston for graduate school. John Symonds

mtbr member
    May 2011
    May I ask how tall you are? I'm looking at getting this frame and I'm 5'5" so I'm right at the cut off for a small to med frame.

mtbr member
    Just shy of 5'-9". The medium fits me exactly with a 70mm stem and a straight seat post. Also, I have a 28-1/2' inseam.
    Last edited by jrsbike; 11-29-2012 at 05:09 PM. Reason: additional info

mtbr member
    Nice, I love my Nickel, I am running a 1x10 drivetrain with nice components and I'm at 26#, but that'll drop after some Christmas sale purchases for some lighter cockpit items.
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

jrm
    mtbr member

PUSH can add Compression to your RL

I had it done a while back to a TALAS RL. Nice conversion

mtbr member
    just found out i need a low mount front derailure. my high mount xx isnt gonna work i dont think

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I saw the nickel frame on sale from the SC site. This would be a great route to go. Thanks for posting!