mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Another 650b question.

I got the green light from the wife for a new bike.

My Tallboy Carbon is three years old and set to retire.

Has anyone gone from a 29er to 650b? If so what did you think?

I was originally going to buy a Tallboy LT but now I am thinking about a Intense Carbine 275.

I always loved the plush suspension of my Tracer before I got the Tallboy. Of course I love the Tallboy I currently own now. I guess I am looking for something that kind of blends the two.

Looking forward to your responses.

mtbr member
    Does your riding and common trails dictate the change to 140mm travel or is it just the next step? I have a TBLTc and love it, but I don't ride it really now that I have a 650b.......I am 5'9" and @ 190lbs give or take a fin and I ride hard so the flex and wheel size was always just a LITTLE more than I wanted and I have found that the 650b is the compromise for me....My carbine is a good bike, my TBLTc is a great bike, and my remedy 650b is really the best I have ridden yet. Hope this helps.

Also I should mention that I have ridden all three wheels sizes alot in the recent 3-4 years....but on any given day now I really don't see me going to 26 or 29 unless it is for DH for the former and xc fire roads for the latter....Do you have the shops around you that will let you try them both? you know what I am going to say next......

mtbr member
    May 2005
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Going with the Tallboy LT

I have decided that having spent the last three years on 29ers that I would stick with the wheel size and go with the Tallboy LT.

Now the fun begins.......What parts to buy?

Thanks for the suggestions.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Must admit I agree with your choice

Quote Originally Posted by mbernard71 View Post
    I have decided that having spent the last three years on 29ers that I would stick with the wheel size and go with the Tallboy LT.
    I would have done the same. Been riding a mix of my old 26" and a hardtail 29". Recently did a conversion to the 650b and for me it will be hard to replace the 29er. Just too many advantages to the bigger wheel IMO. I like the idea of having all the bikes in the quiver and picking certain ones for certain trails but if going with just one bike the 29er would be it for me.

Dive Bomber
    While we're at the 650b question thread, I wonder when the 650b gonna be exist in south asia market?

mtbr member
    guess im to late to the party...but, the 27.5 wheel 140mm travel is amazing. it really is the best of both worlds.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by vizsladog View Post
    guess im to late to the party...but, the 27.5 wheel 140mm travel is amazing. it really is the best of both worlds.
    So I haven't quite pulled the trigger yet. What whip are you referring to?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by popopapa View Post
    I would have done the same. Been riding a mix of my old 26" and a hardtail 29". Recently did a conversion to the 650b and for me it will be hard to replace the 29er. Just too many advantages to the bigger wheel IMO. I like the idea of having all the bikes in the quiver and picking certain ones for certain trails but if going with just one bike the 29er would be it for me.
    That's the direction I was heading. Trying to get down to just one bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Now the fun begins.......What parts to buy?

Thanks for the suggestions.
    Only thing puts me off a T Lt is the potential flex of a 29er 140 fork. My experience with 150mm 26" is they are flexy and vague.The 140mm F29er is another 1" on the AC, along with the extra load of the big wheel.I haven't ridden one,but I'm sure going to 34mm on a 29er fork won't bring you back to the rigidity of a 140mm 32mm 26" fork. It would have to be one hell of a rigid frame to hang it off. The T LTc may just cut it but I'd be thinking something as sturdy as a Meta AM 29er or a Yeti SB95 may be ok.Great fun in a straight line, but nothing kills your fun more than trying to 2nd guess where your front end is going.

I think OneEyedHit alluded to that in his post above.
    Last edited by gvs_nz; 12-20-2012 at 01:02 PM.

mtbr member
    So I haven't quite pulled the trigger yet. What whip are you referring to?
    Sorry man thread is for one question only!
    JK
    UGG boots will germinate Paris Hilton like intellect in your soles!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I had a WFO9 with 140mm travel. It was nice but it was a little difficult to loft the front wheel and a bit cumbersome on technical climbs. For an all mountain do everything bike, I think 650B with 160mm travel would be the best compromise. That's where I'd be spending my money if I had any... Either an Intense 275 Tracer or a Ventana Zeus with a Fox fork.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Well I totally switched gears and order the Spider Comp 29 in Black and Gold with an XTR group. Now.....the long wait

mtbr member
    Cool great choice,sure you'll love it