mtbr member
    Dec 2013

another 650b fork question....

hi, I have a hand-built 650b hardtail that I am just finishing off. At the moment I have a set of RS Revs which will just about squeeze a 2.25 RR but really want a dedicated fork. The only thing I can find that fits the bill (straight steerer, qr, 130mm ish...) is the XF Velvet. Is there anything else out there?? Thanks guys. (will post pics when finished/painted etc.)

mtbr member
    There's another thread on here that's been talking about the disappearance of the straight steerer sus forks. It seems sad but true. Lots of good reviews for the Velvet. I think technically it is a 26 fork that XF has a spacer kit to accommodate the larger wheel so it won't bottom out as low. I believe there is also the Enix for from XF. I think the White brothers Loop 130 fits the bill too. What's wrong with Velvet? 650b palace has a list of 650b forks, perhaps check that out. Good Luck!
    No fuss with the MUSS

mtbr member
    The velvet, which I've been running with a 650b wheel for most of 2013, is an excellent fork....even moreso considering the price. I'm running it without the 650b shim installed (which limits the travel at bottom out by 10mm to avoid tire contact with the angled crown) with a Nevegal 650b 2.35 front tire and there are no clearance problems. With one of the new school super fat Hans Dampf 2.35 or Trail King 2.4 you would probably need to shim it.

I highly recommend this fork.

Prior to that I was running a 2010 Revelation that I had filed a little material from the underside of the arch to allow clearance for decent sized tires....but it was still unnervingly close, so I went with the Velvet as a low cost replacement.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    great, thanks guys. Will try and find a Velvet. Doismeelbacon, which model are you riding??

mtbr member
    2014 VELVET RL2 | Velvet | Fork | Product

The RL2 with 15mm thru axle.... no travel adjust, no remote. Mine is set at 140mm and has a straight 1 1/8 steerer.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Just for another voice:
    I have the straight steerer White Brothers Loop on my bike, and it is hands down the best fork I have ever used. It is also going away with the White Brothers Name getting soaked up by MRP, and the new MRP forks will all be tapered afaik.

the loop exists in both a 80-120mm and 130-150mm. No travel adjust that I am aware of, as they use internal spacers to set the travel. I have the former at 100mm mounted to an older XC bike I did a conversion on.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zombinate View Post
    Just for another voice:
    I have the straight steerer White Brothers Loop on my bike, and it is hands down the best fork I have ever used. It is also going away with the White Brothers Name getting soaked up by MRP, and the new MRP forks will all be tapered afaik.

the loop exists in both a 80-120mm and 130-150mm. No travel adjust that I am aware of, as they use internal spacers to set the travel. I have the former at 100mm mounted to an older XC bike I did a conversion on.
    I'm pretty sure I saw a recent post from NoahColorado where he said that getting one built with the 1 1/8 straight steerer will still be a special order options since they assemble them all to order in CO.