Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

American Classic All MTN Vs. Flow EX

So I just bought myself a 4month old Norco Sight Killer B frame for what I thought was a pretty good price. Now I need a wheelset to put on it. I've always lusted after I9's but I really can't justify the the $1170 price tag as I'm trying to keep my total build under $3k.

The two wheelsets I'm looking at are the AC All Mtn Wheels and the Stan's ZTR/Flow EX wheels. Best price I could find for the flows is $505 and the best I could do on the AC's was $720.

Flow EX
    -$505
    -1879g
    -25.5mm internal rim width
    -3 pawl hub

AC All MTN
    -$720
    -1673g
    -24mm internal rim width
    -6pawl hub

So the AC's are wider and have a quicker engagement (?) I also like the fact that they have that steel strip on the freehub body to keep it from getting gouged up by the cassette. Question is is it worth an extra $205? Also, anyone know the warranty policies on these two?

So thoughts? Any other wheelsets I should consider? I appreciate the input!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    No one has any input? I kinda know what I'm getting with Stan's but I don't really have any info on the AC stuff? I'd really love a little feedback before I drop $720.

mtbr member
    I will go with stans great wheel sets for a great price, have never try american c stuff.

mtbr member
    I switched from stans flows to am 101 rims. They were lighter and are just as stiff as the flows. American classic is grat stuff. Try over in the wheel section for more input

mtbr member
    I9s are special for the spokes, really. Their freehub mechanism is pawls and ratchet from days of yore. DT or King is way more robust and a very different mechanism. It's worth the investment. 240 or 340 hubs or King.

I've been building a lot of Sun Inferno rims for people, including 275 wheels for myself. Inferno 27 is a great-looking rim. I built my buddy an Inferno31 Friday for his 26r which turned out really well. My other buddy is running the Inferno25 on his 29 hardtail.

Wheelsmith spokes (2.0/1.7), Inferno rims and DT/King hubs is the way to go. Of course, this is my opinion based on 20 years of wheelbuilding and spending other people's money...

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery
    TrailWerks Suspension Service

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

mtbr member
    How much does a wheel set like that runs for?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I would go with DT Swiss over both these guys build nice wheels either way
    Chris King Build Your Own Custom 27.5" / 650b Mountain Wheelset - Pro Bike Supply

mtbr member
    I had built up a set of DT 350's with Stan's Archs. I do light DH as well as XC with them, no problems and I weigh in about 245lbs geared up.

mtbr member
    There are so many great options in that price range. Kirk Pacenti offers some of his DL-31 rims on Hope Evo II hubs and Wheelsmith spokes. BikeLugs.com

Also, Prowheelbuilder.com offers their Signature Series semi-custom wheel sets at good prices. For the about the same price of the AC's, you could build Arch or Flow EX wheels with Hadley hubs, and DT spokes. Just another couple of options to think about.

mtbr member
    I can get you a price for wheels that I build if you email me. You can use mk at trailwerkssuspension dot com.

You have some good options in here. Good wheels will last through a few bikes.

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery
    TrailWerks Suspension Service

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

mtbr member
    I had Flows on Hope hubs last bike and currently have WTB i23s. I really liked the Flows, the WTBs are decent but I don't think I would buy them again. I'd like to try the Pacenti's or the Light Bicycle carbon rims too.

mtbr member
    i have flows laced up to hope pro II evo hubs on both of my bikes. solid combo. hope hubs are nice to notify hikers of your presence coming donwhill. , my riding buddy is annoyed by them though.
    HuRa
    architecture and interior design
    website facebook

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmallory View Post
    I had Flows on Hope hubs last bike and currently have WTB i23s. I really liked the Flows, the WTBs are decent but I don't think I would buy them again. I'd like to try the Pacenti's or the Light Bicycle carbon rims too.
    What did you not like about the i23's? Ive heard several folks recommending them over the flows. In particular I have a few riding buddy's who seem to think they are stiffer. Im also trying to decide which rims for my build and the i23's were in the top slot.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Some great suggestions here! I talked to the bikelugs guys and they're great over the phone. Think I may go with the DL28's as they seem fairly comparable to the old flows I'm running on my 29er.

I also am going to look into prowheelbuilder for the hadley hubs. That kind of POE would be quite nice.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by elsinore View Post
    What did you not like about the i23's? Ive heard several folks recommending them over the flows. In particular I have a few riding buddy's who seem to think they are stiffer. Im also trying to decide which rims for my build and the i23's were in the top slot.
    They're not bad wheels, I just feel the Flows were stronger, more stout rims. They stayed true over a year of pretty hard abuse.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Damn this just got a lot more difficult. I'm looking at the Hope's/DL28's at 1700g and the Hadley/Flow's at 2,030g. Both cost about $700. I really want the POE of the Hadleys but a 300g difference in rotational weight is significant and I think the flow EX's might be a bit overkill for me.

Ideally I'd want the Pacenti rims laced to Hadley hubs!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty904 View Post
    and what is stopping you from getting this combo?
    HuRa
    architecture and interior design
    website facebook

mtbr member
    Damn this just got a lot more difficult. I'm looking at the Hope's/DL28's at 1700g and the Hadley/Flow's at 2,030g. Both cost about $700. I really want the POE of the Hadleys but a 300g difference in rotational weight is significant and I think the flow EX's might be a bit overkill for me.

No problem, Pro Wheel Builder can make you that set. You just need to use their full custom option to do it. The cost is a little more, but if it is what you really want, it is worth the extra.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Hill-Pumper View Post
    No problem, Pro Wheel Builder can make you that set. You just need to use their full custom option to do it. The cost is a little more, but if it is what you really want, it is worth the extra.
    Not really seeing that as an option. Doesn't look like they carry pacenti stuff.

mtbr member
    Not really seeing that as an option. Doesn't look like they carry pacenti stuff.
    You need to get the drop down box in the Handbuilt Custom Wheel section. After that enter the MTB 29er/650B. Enter your use, and weight, then wheel set. That will take to
    wheel selection, where Pacenti is an option. Then build your wheel set from there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I ended up going with some blue hope hubs/flow ex rims/ black dt comp spokes through a local bike shop. The guy is a good wheelbuilder and he priced them out at $600 which I thought was pretty good. Plus they come with 2yrs of truing and spoke replacement!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I have the all mtn's in 650b, still waiting on my bike to put them on haha. But, the build quality of them is great. They are pretty light for what's supposed to be a beefy wheel. Also, when I ordered my wheels from American Classic they were really great to deal with, and the guy switched out everything for me with no up-charge, (15mm thru axle, and xx1 driver body). I have never ridden on stans rims, so I can't say anything bad about them, but I have worked with their customer service, and I wasn't to happy with them.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I ended up going with some blue hope hubs/flow ex rims/ black dt comp spokes through a local bike shop. The guy is a good wheelbuilder and he priced them out at $600 which I thought was pretty good. Plus they come with 2yrs of truing and spoke replacement!
    Sounds real nice for a decent price! Pics when you get em all done.

I could be wrong but I don't think the additional weight of the Hadley hub would be an issue since it's centered in the middle of the wheel. Don't think you'd pick up on that. Love, love, love, my Hadley's.

Keep on Rockin...
    Unless going carbon, you can't go wrong with the Flow EX. Proven, bombproof, wide, stiff, set up tubless well with most tires.

Until I've moved over to wider carbon been on Stans stuff for years and have zero complaints.

With Stans however, the Flow EX is his only rim I feel is wide enough, barely. Once you go wide, it hard to go back!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    American Classic All MTN Vs. Flow EX-image1.jpegAmerican Classic All MTN Vs. Flow EX-image.jpegAmerican Classic All MTN Vs. Flow EX-image3.jpegAmerican Classic All MTN Vs. Flow EX-image2.jpegSome pics of the wheels off and on the bike.

I don't really think a better wheelset can be had for $600 plus he threw in a take off Nevegal for the back. I'll get a fast engagement hub someday but he couldn't get Hadley's and CK's are just too much.
    Thanks Mike!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast